Does Conversion Mean Annulment?

LordStoneheart

Having said that, I want you to remember that I'm not arguing that Kings definitely can annul marriages, if you return to my first post you'll see that I was only playing devil's advocate by pointing out reasons why Robb may not have considered it an option. it seemed like an interesting point to argue. AFAIK, based on precedence in the books, we only have the HS annulling marriage contracts.

One of Robb's issues was that he was a big n00b when it came to marriage alliances and the importance of marriage overall (see Jeyne Westerling). A great commander, but a mediocre politician. Not so strange given his age, but this "blindness" did cause him issues. Perhaps if he had been more savvy, he could have wielded religion and the force argument against Sansa's marriage, but it never seems to occur to either him or Cat. Cat was undoubtely far more politically savvy, but even she doesn't reflect on it, and if someone would be looking for an opening, I imagine she would.

One of Robb's issues was that he was a big n00b when it came to marriage alliances and the importance of marriage overall (see Jeyne Westerling). A great commander, but a mediocre politician. Not so strange given his age, but this "blindness" did cause him issues. Perhaps if he had been more savvy, he could have wielded religion and the force argument against Sansa's marriage, but it never seems to occur to either him or Cat. Cat was undoubtely far more politically savvy, but even she doesn't reflect on it, and if someone would be looking for an opening, I imagine she would.

Agreed on Robb. And you're right in Cat being politically savvy, but she's also one who plays within the rules, not necessarily out of the box thinker. Anyway , I think it would be an interesting question to pose to GRRM at the next con, if anyone is willing.

Interestingly, about House Royce, they are a very old family and while they intermarried with the Andals, they predate them and trace their ancestry to the First Men. Their House words are also "We Remember", which is eerily similar to "The North Remembers". We also know Bronze Yohn Royce was a friend of Ned, so I don't think it's too far fetched to think the Royces may very well be of some importance in future novels.

They are also likely to have more Old God references and also a Goodswood nearby than the newer Vale families.

They are the first (and maybe only) house mentioned in the book one prologue, right?

Nevermind that ^

Just looked, and four other houses were mentioned: Mallister, Targaryen, Baratheon, and Mormont. But still, Waymar Royce was the first character with a house affiliation.

Archived