So hows Rickon's 'Shaggy Dog' gonna play out?

Inquisitor Glokta

I read a theory, forgot where, that maybe Osha will use Rickon's ability to warg into Shaggy Dog to make the tribes of Skagos to believe he's a god-type figure to raise men to fight for the Starks

This is actually my balls-to-the-wall (no pun intended) theory. It's not so much Rickon himself as it is what he represents. He's a figurehead, but he can potentially drum up some serous firepower when they need it most.

Rickon is likely still too young to be a factor in his own right during the scope of ASOIAF, but he's very important for the after.

This is a point I like to bring up. Even with a "5 year gap" (a thing which seems largely disproven now), he'd be what... nine ?! Will winter last more than that ? Yes.

I can't predict how long the ASOIAF story will go, by the time we reach the end of ADOS. At this rate, he's not going to do much of significance except to be a living Stark. That's important in its own right, but it really doesn't seem like he's going to be the next Young Wolf or something.

I'd say the odds favour Arya or Bran ruling Winterfell over him. Maybe not for the long-term (if there even is a long term with the Others rising), but if someone stuck him into Winterfell as "Lord" sooner than that, he'd be a northern Tommen - ruled by others.

This is a point I like to bring up. Even with a "5 year gap" (a thing which seems largely disproven now), he'd be what... nine ?! Will winter last more than that ? Yes.

I can't predict how long the ASOIAF story will go, by the time we reach the end of ADOS. At this rate, he's not going to do much of significance except to be a living Stark. That's important in its own right, but it really doesn't seem like he's going to be the next Young Wolf or something.

I'd say the odds favour Arya or Bran ruling Winterfell over him. Maybe not for the long-term (if there even is a long term with the Others rising), but if someone stuck him into Winterfell as "Lord" sooner than that, he'd be a northern Tommen - ruled by others.

I have no idea how long (in terms of years) the last 2 books will stretch, but I kind of feel like Rickon's eventual fate will be an afterthought for the epilogue of the series. If he ends up ruling while still of an age to need a regent then Winterfell is vulnerable all over again. My theory is that no one will rule Winterfell, much less rebuild it, till the wars are all over and everyone is just looking to get back to their lives. It's burned to the ground right now and with winter coming, the succession still not decided, and probably some epic battle with the Others coming up, Winterfell just isn't that important in the scheme of things. But when the Others are defeated and a Stark must once again be in Winterfell then it can be rebuilt.

I think the martin is going to be a little sarcastic on this one, actually bringing the reader something they don't expect, martin seems to do the unexpected so were probably going to see this extremely young kid do something so epic that the name rickon stark lives on forever.

Jon won't be heir of Winterfell, I'm a believer of R + L = J, Jon's role is bigger than that

I think Rickon will be the next Lord of Winterfell, and maybe King in the North, if the 7 kingdoms separate in the end of the story

I think Bran will have other duties to do, so I don't think he'll be KITN or Lord of Winterfell, now he's a greenseer

Anyway I could click on it for hours. My favorite part is on the 7 basic plots (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSevenBasicPlots) I was even thinking about starting a thread on this. I think GRRM hits just about every one of them in ASOIAF, but he lays it on pretty heavy with the tragedy.

Just for fun.

Overcoming the Monster - Jon

Rags to Riches - Sansa/Sam/Brienne

The Quest - Bran/Stannis

Voyage and Return - Dany

Comedy - Cersei and Jamie? Ned and Cat? Davos and Stannis? Sam and Gilly?

Tragedy - Arya/Bran

Rebirth - Tyrion/Theon/Jamie/Sandor/many more

Just for fun.

The Quest - Bran/Stannis

Voyage and Return - Dany

Tragedy - Arya/Bran

OR

Rebirth - AAR = Jon or Dany

Rickon's story can very well have Shaggy dog aspect even without him dying.

Davos went to a quest to bring Rickon back. He actually went there to fulfill Manderly's request so he will support Stannis. So Davos will go all this trouble (and I think it will be a lot of trouble) to bring Rickon back but when he returns Stannis will be dead and maybe someone else will be king in the North or it will go like this:

Davos: It cost me my crew, my ship and one of my ears but I've brought you Rickon.

Manderly: That's nice, but I told you I want my liege lord, so hurry up ,Lord Seaworth, I've heard Bran is beyond the Wall and the weather is really going to get awful around there soon.

Though Rickon is a little too perfect heir. So who knows...

Davos went to a quest to bring Rickon back. He actually went there to fulfill Manderly's request so he will support Stannis. So Davos will go all this trouble (and I think it will be a lot of trouble) to bring Rickon back but when he returns Stannis will be dead and maybe someone else will be king in the North or it will go like this:

Davos: It cost me my crew, my ship and one of my ears but I've brought you Rickon.

Manderly: That's nice, but I told you I want my liege lord, so hurry up ,Lord Seaworth, I've heard Bran is beyond the Wall and the weather is really going to get awful around there soon.

I didn't think of that actually I like it. Though by teh time Davos gets back Manderlay AND Stannis is dead or even just Manderlay. If Manderlay gets offed there is nobody else in on the plan to back Stannis, they will instead back Rickon, and Stannis will be left out of the pary yet again. Poor Stannis.

Just for fun.

The Quest - Bran/Stannis

Voyage and Return - Dany

Tragedy - Arya/Bran

Thanks for playing along!

Yes, I guess we are a little short on Comedy as defined by the link. But Martin is big on changing identities. Perhaps Sandor and Sansa will turn into the comedy later in the series if they meet again and neither recognizes their new identities. They seem to be meant for each other.

There is definitely something that will play out in a big way with Rickon and Shaggydog. You only have to look Shaggydogs appearance to know it. Shaggydog and Ghost are the only two Direwolves with different color eyes, Ghost's are Red and Shaggy's are Green. Every other Direwolf has Yellow Eyes. I'm not sure what they mean, but I have also always tied Shaggy's Green Eyes into Rickon's dream about Eddard in the Crypts. We know Bran had his dream because he is a Greenseer, but I always wondered why Rickon had the dream as well, and the answer I always came up with was Shaggydog's Green Eyes.

I just don't think rumors of Bran's survival will ever reach outside the Far North. His secret has been kept well by its very location.

Archived