An Early Take on Season 3

Westeros

I agree, his name was literally only mentioned once last season, and even at that, "Lord Bolton" was just said in passing by Robb. His betrayal of Robb's cause needs to be of huge significance, and for that to happen, the viewer needs to know who he is!

In saying that, however, I do appreciate the cold stares he gives Robb occasionally in S2. It's good foreshadowing, a nice nod to the book readers, and will be appreciated even more in hindsight. Plus, McElhatton is great as Roose, in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing much(?) more of him in S3!

ETA: Ran, would it be possible to give an indication as to how much screen time and emphasis Roose Bolton gets in episodes 1-4?

I think it was you and I that had the discussion about this on the post for the S3 trailer? But yeah it's insane to me that they're not pushing Roose to the forefront more, for the sake of TV he needs to be a MAJOR character for the 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards' to have the real oomph I'm hoping it has. Hell, at this point I wouldn't put it past HBO to literally have Tywin himself stab Robb in the heart because they haven't shown us Lord Frey or Roose at all.

I think it was you and I that had the discussion about this on the post for the S3 trailer? But yeah it's insane to me that they're not pushing Roose to the forefront more, for the sake of TV he needs to be a MAJOR character for the 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards' to have the real oomph I'm hoping it has. Hell, at this point I wouldn't put it past HBO to literally have Tywin himself stab Robb in the heart because they haven't shown us Lord Frey or Roose at all.

Since Roose is now in Harrenhal, we'll get a few scenes of him and Jaime, should help to flesh him out. The problem is, that while he was in a few scenes last seasons, he was quite subtle, and not all that memorable unless you were really paying attention. I think if they show him being leeched, that would probably help gel him as a character in the show, even if he's only known as the leech guy.

Anyone else concerned that 'later, when he shuts down after a defeat' refers to Jaime getting his hand cut off? I mean I think it is probably just the defeat he suffers in combat with Brienne but the fact it's 'a' defeat rather than 'the' opens it up to being something else. Alyssa writes well and maybe worded it this way intentionally.

Would be disappointing because after Jaime loses the hand ('where people have important things taken from them'), shuts down and resigns himself to die ('quit') Brienne in the book says to him 'are you so craven?' which shocks him back to life, and her saying he sounds like a bloody woman is a crap line without any of the compassion or power of the 'craven' accusation which he's never been called before.

Can you confirm something I've been wondering about since seeing the trailers. Which is that Emilia Clarke seems to have an incredible presence in her scenes this season

I thought she did a good job the first two seasons, but man, she seems to really hold the screen and put off a positively captivating, regal aura this time around. Which would be very appropriate for where the arc of her character is at this point

Her emotive facial expressions and the intensity in her eyes has been very noticeable in the fleeting glimpses I've had, so far. Seems like she's VERY up to the task of portraying this character during some of the more momentus occasions of said characters journey

I've always thought she has a captivating screen presence, but yes, these trailers indicate a big leap in her performance..

Oh man this thread is making me so sad. Two of the most iconic scenes of the entire series are the battle of the backwater and the house of the undying. The show absolutely nailed one and destroyed the other. It's hard to even think about how disappointed I was last year when they completely butchered the house of the undying. That's probably one of my top 5 all time chapters from the book. I've never read anything else like it. Martin hasn't written a chapter like it since. I just wish we could have gotten something. UGH! I'm going to go sulk now.

Oh man this thread is making me so sad. Two of the most iconic scenes of the entire series are the battle of the backwater and the house of the undying. The show absolutely nailed one and destroyed the other. It's hard to even think about how disappointed I was last year when they completely butchered the house of the undying. That's probably one of my top 5 all time chapters from the book. I've never read anything else like it. Martin hasn't written a chapter like it since. I just wish we could have gotten something. UGH! I'm going to go sulk now.

I didn't really care about the House of the Undying, I was fucking mad at D&D because they didn't include Bran's last 'monologue' of Clash.

First off, Ran - great review and thanks for putting it together. Your comment about Catelyn had me a bit worried so I went looking for more information about the scene you refer to and I'm pretty worried over it. Cat's character is so rich and leaps off the pages for me. Michelle Farley has been amazing with the material given to her but the character itself just isn't the same. I was incredibly disappointed to see the loss of her characterization for the benefit of others - especially LF and Tyrion who didn't need it. If the scene in episode 4 plays out like I think it might, then it will be a hard moment to watch.

Ugh @ the bolded part. That line is so out of character for Brienne. It reminds me of last year when they made Arya say "Most girls are idiots" and when Yara called Theon a "cunt" despite book!Asha's flawless commentary on the use of the word "cunt" and how it is used to insult women.

Also, why are they trying to insist that Brienne is "physically stronger" than Jaime? She... really isn't. She's a great fighter, of course, but Jaime is one of the greatest. She only beats him because he's been held captive and underestimates her.

Agree on Arya and Asha with those two lines, both struck me as out of character.

Anyone else concerned that 'later, when he shuts down after a defeat' refers to Jaime getting his hand cut off? I mean I think it is probably just the defeat he suffers in combat with Brienne but the fact it's 'a' defeat rather than 'the' opens it up to being something else. Alyssa writes well and maybe worded it this way intentionally.

Would be disappointing because after Jaime loses the hand ('where people have important things taken from them'), shuts down and resigns himself to die ('quit') Brienne in the book says to him 'are you so craven?' which shocks him back to life, and her saying he sounds like a bloody woman is a crap line without any of the compassion or power of the 'craven' accusation which he's never been called before.

Great point. It's the line that inspirses Jaime to survive and shows just how strong an understanding Brienne had in to his character. She said exactly what was needed in this moment. If that's dropped in favor of "bloody woman", I'll be disappointed.

Either way, whatever one thinks of last season or the upcoming one, I'm sure most will agree this board will be a very busy place over the next several weeks.

I forgot what that was. Can you refresh my mind?

''The stone is strong,'' Bran told himself, ''the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me'', he thought. ''I’m not dead either."

One of my favorite quotes from the series, a shame they didn't use it.

Dany's story should really have been about her entering this fae, unreal other place where she is being seduced by luxury and promises, until she starts to see it's a false veneer over something rotten. An episode getting to Qarth, two episodes establishing the seductive pleasures and luxuries of this unbelievably wealthy place but her fading hope of finding support, an episode where Xaro starts to get peevish and wants to throw her out and... then the House of the Undying. Most of these episodes can highlight the sinister rumors about the warlocks, but make them seem more and more like her inevitable choice for support, rather than something she's forced to do. It's really all about her choosing what to do, not being a victim of the machinations of others, in A Clash of Kings -- that was her life back in AGoT, and there's definite forward progress in ACoK. She may be sitting in one place, but she does it to a purpose rather than because she's someone's pawn. The writers, by actioning it up, made her a victim again.

I think that David and Dan focused first on KL and the building the story to Blackwater that sort of folds in also the Stanis, Renly and Davos story, second on Theon and the Greyjoys ,then I don't know how to order the rest, but I think Dany's story came last because they couldn't figure a way to frame as a visual narrative or at least pressed for time they did not brainstorm it. I don't think George's Dany chapters in CoK made it easy for them.

I have never heard what GRRM thought of Dany's story in season 2 ... maybe someone has asked him?

I think that David and Dan focused first on KL and the building the story to Blackwater that sort of folds in also the Stanis, Renly and Davos story, second on Theon and the Greyjoys ,then I don't know how to order the rest, but I think Dany's story came last because they couldn't figure a way to frame as a visual narrative or at least pressed for time they did not brainstorm it. I don't think George's Dany chapters in CoK made it easy for them.

I have never heard what GRRM thought of Dany's story in season 2 ... maybe someone has asked him?

"Uh, well, the butterfly effect and, uh, not enough episodes and budget and, uh, people are wasting their time asking why the horse was the wrong color"

...and other question dodging answers. Professionalism and all that, I guess.

"Uh, well, the butterfly effect and, uh, not enough episodes and budget and, uh, people are wasting their time asking why the horse was the wrong color"

...and other question dodging answers. Professionalism and all that, I guess.

I do wish we still had the like button.

Martin obviously can't rage and rant when he doesn't like something about the show (and we know there's stuff he doesn't like: he admitted to not liking TV!Shae, but only after she began to grow on him.) but it's quite clear that he's uncomfortable about certain things.

I don't remember in that Brienne 'defeats' Jamie , it was more of a draw. Tho George elaborates it as Jamie at first getting the best of Brienne and then he is surprised when she rallies , she has the advantage, but they can't continue because a group of band of Brave Companions arrives and action stops.

Yes! As always with TV, a throwaway line here or there just doesn't sell a character; we need to see their actions and motivations. I'm still optimistic about Roose since it seems the Harrenhal interaction with Jaime will still be intact. Since that's such an intense one-on-one scene in the book (with Brienne naively commenting from the sideline), it should cement Roose in the audience's collective mind as more than "just one of Robb's bannermen". Don't worry, there has been a shot of the RW in a video (can't find the link), and Roose is ominously standing behind Robb.

Episode 1, do we find out why it's called Valar Dohaeris?

I mean we know why episode 10 of season 2 is called "Valar Morghulis" , because the phrase is spoken four times.

Well, Barristan chooses to serve Dany. Tyrion no longer "rules," and serves his father. Jon chooses not to serve, but that's just a front. Davos tries to harm Melisandre instead of serving her as Stannis might wish, and is thus imprisoned for it.

Yes! As always with TV, a throwaway line here or there just doesn't sell a character; we need to see their actions and motivations. I'm still optimistic about Roose since it seems the Harrenhal interaction with Jaime will still be intact. Since that's such an intense one-on-one scene in the book (with Brienne naively commenting from the sideline), it should cement Roose in the audience's collective mind as more than "just one of Robb's bannermen". Don't worry, there has been a shot of the RW in a video (can't find the link), and Roose is ominously standing behind Robb.

please share the red wedding clip.

Archived