Was The Mad King So Mad After All.

NedStark2013

Yea well surely the question shouldn't have been was he mad, (I don't understand those saying he was a decent ruler) but rather was he mad or just bad? Is mental illness just an excuse for being a disgusting bastard (not in the Jon bastard sense lol)

Never. I have a severe mental illness, that's not other people's fault.

But I doubt they had therapy or medication other than induced coma types like dreamwine. :P

Yes. I definitely blame the kidnapping at Duskendale for Aerys' descent into madness. He was actually a fairly decent king before that.

I think Tywin might have left him in those circumstances longer than necessary as well.

Yes setting Starks on fire seems a bit mad and cruel but look in all the goings on in the game of thrones. Is it wise or madness to just simply kill those you think could be a threat. I mean the Starks threatened him and he responded likely thinking it be a good message. In the Game Of Thrones maybe its best to just burn the hydra so it can't have so many heads. What I mean is in the Game Of Thrones there is too many Hydra heads after the same thing.

He was mad, but I don't think he was wrong to think there would be a rebellion against him. That was already in the works.

He was obviously mad. Mad doesn't mean doing cruel and/or stupid decisions all the time.

I would really like to see a development where Dany starts becoming mad too. Specially since she's a terrible player and keeps winning. I read somewhere that one of George's qualities is that he doesn't fall in love with his characters, except for Dany... and I agree.

A mad Dany wreaking havoc with her dragons until she's brought down would be awesome. Specially if we had a final battle where Jorah sacrifices himself against Selmy trying to save her.

I don't know where a I read it but some people believed that she the Queen had a thing for Selmy ands its why Barristan seeks her out more so then because he was fired.

Bonnifer Hasty, the current castellan of Harrenhall, was once in love with Rhaella. Whether she reciprocated his feelings is unknown, but I think that's what you're referring to. At any rate, if Barristan had something going on with her, it would have been mentioned it in his PoV, especially since it's not very dutiful to cuckold the king you've sworn to protect and serve. Moreover, Barristan was probably out in the field at the time of Daenerys' conception.

OT: Yes, Aerys was mad as hatters, but it's fairly clear there were four lords paramount forging a political power block around the throne that would later prove capable of overthrowing his dynasty. Being paranoid doesn't mean that all the threats against you aren't real.

I have a pet theory that Varys deliberately fed Aerys' paranoia (Pycelle says there are things about the eunuch that'd make Tyrion's blood run cold, plus Jaime talks of Varys pointing out traitors).

He definitely did, and he turned Aerys against his own son. People who think Varys is a Targaryen loyalist need to think it through some more due to this.

Yeah, he seemed pretty mad to me after Duskendale. As Barristan pointed out, Aerys rot began with Varys's whispers(or something to that effect). Probably why Varys didn't want Tywin to enter KL, Varys manipulating Aerys was probably easy as hell for the Spider since he was mad at that point. Easy pickings

I'd say he was highly unstable by the time Varys got there, but Varys is the one who really pushed him over the edge and feed him his paranoia, which only made him more and more unstable by the day.

Explain the savage rapes of Rhaella?

Can some one please PLEASE tell me where in books is suggested that Aerys raped or abused,beaten or something like that his wife queen Rhaella....

I don't understand what is the problem whit u people....

Yes he was mad....he didn't abused his children nor his wife....after 5 books u think writer would mention something like that if it happen.....

Can some one please PLEASE tell me where in books is suggested that Aerys raped or abused,beaten or something like that his wife queen Rhaella....

Yes he was mad....he didn't abused his children nor his wife....after 5 books u think writer would mention something like that if it happen.....

Can you prove where this is mentioned?

The said the queen looked as if some beast had savaged her, clawing at her thighs and chewing on her breasts

The sight had filled him with disquiet, reminding him of Aerys Targaryen and the way a burning would arouse him. A king has no secrets from the Kingsguard. Relations between Aerys and his queen had been strained during the last years of his reign. They slept apart and did their best to avoid each other during the waking hours. But whenever Aerys gave a man to the flames, Queen Rhaella would have a visitor in the night. The day he burned his mace- and- dagger Hand, Jaime and Jon Darry had stood at guard outside her bedchamber whilst the king took his pleasure. “You’re hurting me,” they had heard Rhaella cry through the oaken door. “You’re hurting me.” In some queer way, that had been worse than Lord Chelsted screaming. “We are sworn to protect her as well,” Jaime had finally been driven to say. “We are,” Darry allowed, “but not from him.”

but I don't think he was wrong to think there would be a rebellion against him. That was already in the works.

So let RIkkard have his duel with Jamie or Dayne - send Brandon and his companions to the wall.

All within norms and the North gets severely chastised. In any case I don't see much of a plot after-all the Vale only joined because Jon decided to protect his wards

He burnt other people as well, not only the Starks. Not to mention he was ready to burn the entire city. Thank goodness he wasn't a follower of R'hllor (or was he? :stunned: ).

Maybe Varys increased his paranoia, but he was mad to begin with, and there were some conspiracies against him (the Northern alliance conspiracy theory).

Yeah, he was mad.

If that is an attempt and levity, you have surely failed. I would suggest a re-read...

Archived