Was The Mad King So Mad After All.

NedStark2013

I felt so sorry for his wife when it was referenced she was covered in bite marks and horrific bruises... Back to the fingernails, but can you imagine hoe much harm he could do after getting off on the fires? That poor woman was probably emotionally and physically scarred for life. :frown5:

Did he know fire kills almost everyone? It does not kill Dany, could it kill him?

What do we know of Lyanna's willingness to stay with Aery's son? His allowing or forcing her to stay with him makes quite a bit of difference.

Another thing about Aerys we have heard he did not seem to tolerate looting smallfolk from troops who supported him in the war.

I'm not saying he wasn't somewhat crazy but his madness is overstated in the eyes of some and underwelming to others.

Targaryens are not fireproof. Not even Dany. The pyre was a one-time thing, she had severe burns after the fighting pit incident.

Aerys had no idea where Lyanna was, or he would have used her as a hostage, like he did with Elia.

If you want to burn down a city because you lost a war you started yourself and don't want your opponents to get it even if that means the death of thousands of people, you're as mad as they get.

His reign started off very promising, but the defiance of Duskendale changed him. Once he became mad there was no going back and his actions were such that some of the more respected Lords of the realm sort to overthrow him.

Yes. I definitely blame the kidnapping at Duskendale for Aerys' descent into madness. He was actually a fairly decent king before that.

Seriously? So now Aerys isn't mad?

Oh he was "mad" but the degree of his mental illness is overstated by many to justify their hatred, understated by others because of their admiration.

Targaryens are not fireproof. Not even Dany. The pyre was a one-time thing, she had severe burns after the fighting pit incident.

Aerys had no idea where Lyanna was, or he would have used her as a hostage, like he did with Elia.

If you want to burn down a city because you lost a war you started yourself and don't want your opponents to get it even if that means the death of thousands of people, you're as mad as they get.

Typically a trial for treason is a one-time thing, and Aerys need only have survived unscathed once as well.

I don't recall any mention that the Martells had any inclination to remove Elia from KL or any frustration about what they would have otherwise done during RR if she hadn't been there and was the mother of the future king.

As for burning the castle down... nobody seemed increadibly shocked when they thought Theon supposedly did it in Winterfell, and if he thought that those faithful/loyal to him would survive as with the trial....

He was crazy in the fact that he was not able to distinguish moral grey areas, anything that did not agree with him would be given a test (fire) that was nearly impossible to be beaten.

As for burning the castle down... nobody seemed increadibly shocked when they thought Theon supposedly did it in Winterfell, and if he thought that those faithful/loyal to him would survive as with the trial....

The difference between Winterfell and King's Landing is about four orders of magnitude though. It's like the difference between using a petrol bomb and using a nuke

Oh he was "mad" but the degree of his mental illness is overstated by many to justify their hatred, understated by others because of their admiration.
Raping his sister/wife, finding new more sadistic ways of torture, cooking a man in his armor, calling fire as his champion and using pyromancers in order to burn the city down
"The traitors want my city ... but I’ll give them naught but ashes. Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat".
he is so misunderstood.

Apart from his eccentric preferences when it came to personal grooming, was he mad?

In any case his actions are not very sensible.

Of course letting the Starks have his son´s head is not an option. But executing them in an excessively cruel way was really stupid. It would have been better to chop their heads off. Technically a king would be in his right to do that if someone threatened him personally.

But most sensible would be to try to appease them somehow. Don´t know if he could have done that though.

Thank you!

I don't know where a I read it but some people believed that she the Queen had a thing for Selmy ands its why Barristan seeks her out more so then because he was fired.
I think that you mean what Barristan said that she was in love with Bonifer Hasty and he loved her in return.

Burning people alive?

Planning to blow up a whole city with wildfire?

Raping women?

Paranoia and violence in general?

"Fire shall be the champion of House Targaryen." ?

Nope, definitely not mad. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the NAILS!!! :bawl: :bawl:

If people have an issue with the word 'mad' (it does have different meanings to different people,) I don't think anyone can deny he's sadistic.

Don't forget the NAILS!!! :bawl: :bawl:

If people have an issue with the word 'mad' (it does have different meanings to different people,) I don't think anyone can deny he's sadistic.

Yea well surely the question shouldn't have been was he mad, (I don't understand those saying he was a decent ruler) but rather was he mad or just bad? Is mental illness just an excuse for being a disgusting bastard (not in the Jon bastard sense lol)

Archived