A Dream of Spring Epilogue

Giant's Bane

I don't think it should be like the Harry Potter ending, even though I like Harry Potter, I don't think GRRM would want it similar to another "rival" fantasy series.

I'd like it if the last chapter is from Bran, as he was the first proper chapter, and it would link the start of the series to the end.

I like this: Give us visions from the weir wood trees, like in ADWD clear visions but no real concrete answers.

19 years later

The crew of the Ghiscari Maid were slow in disembarking. Finally, Hizdahr zo Loraq led his wife off the grand vessel, onto the shore, with the three dragons soaring overhead, casting a great shadow onto the scene. Daenerys Targaryen took her first steps in Westeros.

Bran saw his brother and sisters in Winterfell, the Stark bannermen celebrating victory. Sansa dancing with a tall man and looking him intently into the eyes. Arya looking from a corner with a smile so big Bran was sure that her cheeks would hurt. Rickon screaming and running around with Shaggy behind him messing around.

He saw a man with blue eyes like his mothers holding a toddler and drinking with the others.

He saw Old Nan older than ever with a weak grin retiring to her room. He saw Osha talking with women dressed like her and ladies of great families. The smell of the kitchens and the food on the tables filled every vision. There were (whatever GRRM is craving while writing this).

The vision warmed his heart. He looked farther south and saw Jon on top of a golden dragon breathing fire.

He saw a great city with a red tall keep burning to the ashes.

He saw a lady with silver hair riding a black dragon across the Narrow Sea.

He saw the people laughing and feasting all across Westeros, celebrating spring.

When the green lands transformed to dry sand he saw a lightly dressed prince and princess laughing and celebrating as well.

Back to the north into the lands of always winter he saw flowers blooming in the snow.

He saw Hodor and Meera outside the cave returning for him.

It was the time to go home and bring Summer with him.

(More happy than bitter, I know. One can dream.)

I think that the end should mirror the beginning: Bran tells what happened and how all the characters turned out (the ones who survived, anyway). All seems fine and then we have an epilogue similar to the AGOT prologue: a Will-like character tells about a new threat that no one is aware of... THE END

King Jon had returned from a journey to the fabled Tower of Joy with his good friend Lord Tybolt Crakehall, the new Warden of the West after the Purge of the Lannisters. He returned with a chest, engraved with his father's name, Rhaegar Targaryen. Upon inspection he found a book, greatly prized by Rhaegar.

It was a journal kept by his grandmother, Rhaella Targaryen, depicting her sexual exploits with the infamous Tywin Lannister.

And how Rhaegar came to be.....

I think it would be cool for the very last thing we hear is from Bran's perspective as he watches over the Realm from his cave far to the north.

I agree.

Maybe Osha telling the future generations of the Starks a story of their ancestors.

The Crippled Wolf,The Hungry Wolf,The Lady Wolf,The Young Wolf,The White Wolf and The Lost Wolf.

Osha is definitely qualified to be the New Old Nan, and she will definitely have some cool [and sad, and scary] stories to tell.

I think the epilogue will be of a man dying and becoming a white walker. To show that no story is ever really over and that history will repeat itself.

That would be pretty cool too.

19 years later

The crew of the Ghiscari Maid were slow in disembarking. Finally, Hizdahr zo Loraq led his wife off the grand vessel, onto the shore, with the three dragons soaring overhead, casting a great shadow onto the scene. Daenerys Targaryen took her first steps in Westeros.

To be confronted by the last person in Westeros after the desolation of the Others.

He says, "Where were you? Where the fuck have you been? Seven fucking books and a 19 year gap till the epilogue. What has taken you so fucking long. One dragon could have turned the tide, one fucking dragon and you've got three. FUCKING THREE." Drops down dead.

Dany says, "I'm only a middle aged woman and know nothing of Westeros but this is not how I imagined it to be."

Jon walks his three sons, Ned, Brandon and Rhaegar to their first council meeting. His three sons then proceed to stab him to death, then burn down KL. They are all mad.

Well Ser Creighton, this gave me a good chuckle. And to be honest, bittersweet ending is nice and all but I want to see the message of history being repeated too. (Tribute to Dragonstar). Like the Watchmen, Adrian Veidt: I did the right thing, didn't I? It all worked out in the end. Dr. Manhattan: 'In the end'? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

I think it would be cool for the very last thing we hear is from Bran's perspective as he watches over the Realm from his cave far to the north.

The only last chapter I can see happening is Bran. It all kinda started with Bran, why not end it with him?

Fail. Fail. Fail. None of these are GRRM material.

What I can see is an ending like the movie Layer Cake. Danny wins the Iron Throne and beats back the Others. She is standing at the top of Baylor's Sept, survering her domain and feeling good that the dragons returned, when.....

"She felt a sudden sharp pain in her abdomen. She looked down and saw an obsidian blade protuding from her dress, her blood spilling forth on the floor. Behind her, a voice whispered: Stannis Baratheon sends his regards."

The End.

Archived