"They need to make them more sympathetic in order for the ratings to be good""

David Selig

I wasn't thinking about any character specifically when I made the topic, but the most blatant case in the series for me is Tyrion He's totally whitewashed and it diminishes the character for me.

But you're looking at it in isolation, rather than an arc. It's the same as with Arya (who was whitewashed even more) - we know what the endpoint for both of them is. Tyrion murders Shae and Tywin in cold blood, then rapes a serving girl in Pentos. Arya leaves the hound to die slowly in the mud, then murders Dareon and the insurance salesman in Braavos. As a multi-season arc, it makes more sense to 'whitewash' their early appearances to make their descent more dramatic.

I can predict right now that watching the adorably cheeky show!Arya scream "How many how many how many?!!!" is going to be even more stomach-clenchingly horrible than it was in the books, and seeing Tyrion squeeze the life out of Shae will have viewers throwing their remotes. (I suspect Shae is being set up to be coerced into her testimony by Cersei; I'm not sure how they'll handle her in Tywin's bed).

Likewise, even though I disagree with both decisions, it's why Jaime murders his cousin Alton, and why Stannis seems to be portrayed almost as an uncaring monster. It makes for a greater contrast in the latter portion of their respective arcs.

I'm going to need more specifics - I assume you're referring to Tywin and Cersei?

<snipt>

Tywin and Cersei are exactly the characters that spring to mind. In the show their actual humanity comes out. Yes they are vain, powerhungry and live by a set of rules few could live up to, but there are reasons for this worldview, and somehow in the show it comes out so well. Especially Charles Dance's performance. From his interpretation you can see why his children aspire to be like him (even if it does ruin them to an extent)

Just want to add that of my friends who watch GoT regularly if I combined their favourite characters are I believe these would be Arya, Danny and Tyrion - all 'good' characters (at least so far!). I bet that is fair reflection across the viewership.

Just want to add that of my friends who watch GoT regularly if I combined their favourite characters are I believe these would be Arya, Danny and Tyrion - all 'good' characters (at least so far!). I bet that is fair reflection across the viewership.

That's true of me as a book reader too.

Of the males it has to be Tyrion and Peter's interpretation of him is nothing but amazing.

Of the ladies

It's a tie between Dany and Arya.

Next I love Brienne and Asha.

Tywin and Cersei are exactly the characters that spring to mind. In the show their actual humanity comes out. Yes they are vain, powerhungry and live by a set of rules few could live up to, but there are reasons for this worldview, and somehow in the show it comes out so well. Especially Charles Dance's performance. From his interpretation you can see why his children aspire to be like him (even if it does ruin them to an extent)

Tywin and Cersei , it's something I noted elsewhere Charles Dance and Lena Headey are consummate professionals and add dimensions to GRRMs characters that are not on the pages.

I don't think a prose author can anticipate something like Dance's stunning performance.

Unfortunately they do need to do that. The majority of viewers are people. And the majority of people are unconfortable with being unconfortable. Specially in the western world. Saddly, because most good art is supposed to make you feel unconfortable.

Citation needed.

Archived