Who is the old man who died in silence just before Jon escaped the wildlings?

Tyler Stark

He came on horseback and stayed at the crumbled inn at the abandoned town just after Bran, Meera, Jojen, and Hodor made their way to the watchtower where the long dead Targaryan Queen stayed on her way to visit the wall. My question is why would a random old man be traveling through this long abandoned town if he was not following Bran and company, and why also would he die in silence at the hands of the wildlings instead of protesting for his life? Is it possible this random old man chose to die corageously and silently in order to protect the group he had been following at a distance, perhaps protecting from a distance? Or is this just a random waywerd traveler risking his life in the cold for no apperent reason.

I have suspected he may be the man Bran thought was a Liddle, and you may very well be right--that he was silent because the only thing he might have said would expose Bran and company.

I also wondered if somehow he was a test... I don't know how this could be--where the mechanism would come from, but I've wondered if Jon Snow's refusal to kill him will somehow help Jon (maybe guide dead Jon?)--I know, that's a little too weird, but there is just a feel to it that Jon's decision not to kill him was right and that there might be a benefit from that later.

See this thread on this topic, it's really recent too - http://asoiaf.wester...t-queens-crown/

With one exception, all the answers on this thread were a joke. I don't know WHY, but nobody took it seriously. I don't mind joking, but this:

ETA: Would it really have been that hard to check the second page of topics first?

Seems particularly unfriendly, considering everything on the other thread was just goofing around. I get trying to encourage people to look for stuff first, but there is a nice way to say things. A 'please' or a 'we try to' will go a long way for encouragement.

I thought about him being the Liddle too, which is a bummer because he was so nice and gave Bran oatcakes that sounded really good and made me crave oatcakes.

If he wasn't the Liddle he probably was just an old traveler.

With one exception, all the answers on this thread were a joke. I don't know WHY, but nobody took it seriously. I don't mind joking, but this:

Seems particularly unfriendly, considering everything on the other thread was just goofing around. I get trying to encourage people to look for stuff first, but there is a nice way to say things. A 'please' or a 'we try to' will go a long way for encouragement.

You're right, I didn't mean to cause any offence.

Could it be the Liddle? I hope not, I don't think that he would just go and light a fire when the Bastard's men were prowling the Kingsroad. It is possible that he used the fire to draw attention to himself instead of Bran and co. but...meh. :dunno:

Could it be the Liddle? I hope not, I don't think that he would just go and light a fire when the Bastard's men were prowling the Kingsroad. It is possible that he used the fire to draw attention to himself instead of Bran and co. but...meh. :dunno:

No worries *holds out hand for a shake* I think it's hard online to hear when there is lightness in tone, so people 'hear' things harsher than they were meant.

I would hope it isn't a Liddle, too, but then Bran only ASSUMED the man was a Liddle. I just think he is going to be significant (or rather Jon not killing him will be)

To me, the behavior during the Wildling attack wouldn't be consistent with the behavior of the Liddle Bran's group met. The Liddle seemed reasonably cautious, ie, he wouldn't expose himself so easily. And, I don't have the text in front of me, but my recollection of the Liddle was that he was much younger than the old dude who got attacked.

Finally, if it were the Liddle, two things: wouldn't Bran warging Summer recognize him? And it would eliminate a bit of positive Karma I was hoping to see - that the Liddle's small act of kindness to Bran and co. would later on lead to a good thing, like House Liddle getting a reward, say, the Dreadfort once things settle out.

Sorry for not checking recent posts, it wasn't on the first page and I am new to these forums. I don't think it was the liddle because he was very cautious in the previous Bran chapter, he was hidden deep in the cave that Bran sheltered in. I think his silence was the tip off that he was not just some unlucky random travelor. Dieing without any form of resistence is not something a typical person would be able to do. I think this was a Bran protector, who could have had no idea that a large group of wildlings would be on this side of the wall. Fire means death North of the wall, but this place is supposed to be relativley safe.

Well, Bran did not metion the Liddle having a horse. Bran did tell the guy where he was heading more or less. Its funny, he might have been a messenger telling Jon that Bran was headed his way or he might have been tailing Bran or he might have been an innocent traveler.

Archived