Should I read the books if I've repeatedly watched the TV series (and i know spoilers)?

Micah-VR

Here is the sad part: I've done plenty of research and read spoilers and the plots of the 4th & 5th book. (I blame the time it takes GRRM to finish a book!) It is understandable though, I've never seen a story line so compelling. So guys should i start reading AGoT although i know the events of it and of 4 books ahead? Plus, my 13 year old daughter is very interested in reading it..but i fear of some of the sexual and rape parts in the book? Are they too explicit and ugly for her?

I recommend reading it. You know what happens but, you're missing all the details. It's kind of like doing your first re-read. You remember the big picture, but there's lots of stuff to be found. Also, there's still 2 books coming of which you know nothing of, and reading them is better than reading the general plot and then watching the show.

You should most definitely read the books. They provide much more insight into the characters' thoughts and motivations than can ever be conveyed through the medium of television. Plus, there are even MORE great characters than are shown in the TV show.

1. Read the books.

2. The books get better on rereads. One knows what is going to happen, yes. But one discovers so much more without just focusing on what happens next.

3. A thirteen-year-old is, IMO, capable of deciding what they are going to read too. If she wants to read it, she will (if you try to stop her from it, she is probably more likely to do it). If she keeps up, good for her. Otherwise, she will put it down.

P. S.: This is the wrong forum to post this in.

I recommend you read upto ACoK and stop and go with the series, after season 3 is finished don't read ASoS as season 3 is based on half of the book. however the choice is yours if you want to go ahead with ASoS before season 4.

If you are already dedicated enough to watch the series several times and do the research, then you should definitely read the books. It's the kind of story where the journy is more important than the end result and knowing the plotline is just a tip of iceberg. If you want a peek at what you're missing out, there is a nice thread called The most enchanting passages. If that doesn't make you want to read, I don't know what will. :)

I was 13 when I started to read and managed to avoid any mental scarring. The media backlash sometimes makes it sound like the books are filled with graphic rape descriptions, which is untrue. Mentions of rape, yes, sex scenes, some, graphic rape, no. Animal cruelty was more traumatizing, yet no one ever stops reading because of that.

As much as i love the show, it seems pale in comparison to the books! I watched the first season before i even knew they where based on books! There is just more of everything in the books, and it will shine a whole new light on the series and helps to understand the depth of characters and places and even foods if you ask me! Although GRRM takes his time writing, you will still be able to read TWOW before the show has caught up, possibly at a stretch ADOS but i doubt it. You wont be disappointed!

Archived