Is Barbrey (Ryswell) Dustin Too Harsh on Ned?

BloodyGoatHoat

Why must she be something nobler, secretly something, etc.? In situation such as North Westeros, also Boltons are bound to have some genuine allies. Why couldnt lady Dustin be one of them?

If she is "double agent" she must be a master of her trade. Roose has pretty good nose to sniff out treachery i would think.

hells yes she's being too harsh. Its been 17 years and she was only married for 6 months.

Why must she be something nobler, secretly something, etc.? In situation such as North Westeros, also Boltons are bound to have some genuine allies. Why couldnt lady Dustin be one of them? If she is "double agent" she must be a master of her trade. Roose has pretty good nose to sniff out treachery i would think.
Lady Dustin was probably close to Domeric Bolton and he was murdered by Ramsay and Roose hasnt done shit to control him. And I doubt she's OK with all the crazy shit they pull.

hells yes she's being too harsh. Its been 17 years and she was only married for 6 months.Lady Dustin was probably close to Domeric Bolton and he was murdered by Ramsay and Roose hasnt done shit to control him. And I doubt she's OK with all the crazy shit they pull.

She was close to Domeric because her family has always been close to the Bolton family. Domeric is dead but the families are still close - IIRC she has two cousins who are very much on the Bolton side as well.

Her husband died for Ned, in a war Ned fought to save his own life and not to any benefit of the rest of the North, and Ned didn't even bother to bring his bones back. I'd say her bitterness is justified.

Yeah, this is your speciality. Everyone should have just stick their neck out and see who the Mad King likes to chop off.

EDIT: "Justified"... loving that word.

She was close to Domeric because her family has always been close to the Bolton family. Domeric is dead but the families are still close - IIRC she has two cousins who are very much on the Bolton side as well.
Last I checked, she was Roose's sister in law, but that doesnt really matter. My point is that their are plenty of reasons as to why she would oppose the Boltons.

Her husband died for Ned, in a war Ned fought to save his own life and not to any benefit of the rest of the North, and Ned didn't even bother to bring his bones back. I'd say her bitterness is justified.
Lord Dustin chose to head out and its been 17 years. some bitterness is justified sure, but having a hatred for the Starks and planning to feed Ned's bones to her dogs is pretty ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

I don't think she is too bitter. The fact that Ned brought hs sister bones back but refused to take those of his companions. It is those companions that revolted with him, that fought for him and that died for him. To leave them there while taking your sisters alone is rather a douche move. I would be very bitter too. It makes it seem as if your husband was worthless,not worth the effort and that is a slight hard to forget. Her husband died for him and he could not be bothered returning his bones.

Don't forget bones are a significant thing. Look at how important it was for Catelyn to get those of Ned and with how much care they were send north

Barbrey is one of my favorite charectars but I don't think she is actually against Roose, though I want her to be. Her way of acting around Theon is because she doesn't need to fear him nor does she truly need to fear Roose. In the book itself it is stated that if she wanted to she could truly oppose him and if she did I am sure other northern houses would join. After all she says herself that most of Roose his allies are done for and the north remembers the red wedding and no doubt boltons part in it.

As much as I want her to be a good person I fear barbrey is little more than a bitter widow with a grudge.

I don't think any of them are really on the Bolton side.

When you start reconstructing things , Barbrey was the older Ryswell girl.. her younger sister was married to Roose ( his second wife ).Their son Domeric's riding is compared to Lyanna Stark's. ( Her riding , in turn , is compared to her brother Brandon's ). At a young age ( but probably not younger than 7 or 8 ), he became Barbrey's page for a few years, then a squire in the vale , and was old enough , developed enough, by the time he came home to be showing promise in the lists ..so I'd guess Domeric would have to have been about 14 or so at that time... a bit older than Robb or Jon . ( note : Brandon had been an accomplished jouster. ).... Dom died 2 yrs before the war of the 5 kings. His mother died the year it began, shortly before Roose left ...( this , in itself , may have interesting implications , but anyway... deep breath )..

Robb was no more than 14-15 when he called the banners. He was conceived just before the start of Robert's rebellion , so Domeric had to have been conceived earlier.( he can't be younger , since Roose was away in RR as well ) Barbrey had been married 6 months before Ned left. So considering the boys' ages , Bethany must have been married earlier , if Dom was Roose's ,or able to be passed off as Roose's ... It's a bit odd when a Lord is marrying off a younger daughter first..

It's frequently mentioned that Barbrey grieves for Domeric, but surely she also grieves for her sister who died even more recently ? I think , in her heart ,she blames Roose , not Ramsay , for Domeric's death..and maybe for her sister's too. It's Roose who says he's sure Dom died of poison, and that Barbrey blames Ramsay.. She doesn't deny it , but seems more likely to mention Lady Hornwood.

I'm thinking Roose poisoned Domeric , suspecting him to be Brandon's bastard ( and maybe poisoned Bethany as well ). He says Barbrey "knows how to nurse a grievance". I think she's secretly nursing more than one against him... ( keep your friends close and your enemies closer ).. and all the stuff she spouts to Theon is just her cover story.

ETA : Winter grasp.. I think she is truly opposing him , along with Manderly and many others.. just not openly.

There might be a difference between her real feelings for Ned at that time, time passing, and the "performance" put on for Theon. I tend to think she was hamming it up a bit and for good reason.

I think she is actually one of the most fascinating side characters in the series. I really enjoyed reading the Theon chapter with his discussion with her. I am of the mind that says that she is working as a double agent. She cannot divulge her true feelings to Reek/Theon who she thinks is entirely Ramsay's creature. Like many others, I believe her to be secretly allied with Lord Manderly and the Northern faction that wants to put a Stark back in Winterfell.

` She wanted to be a Stark sooo bad. That's why she can't let go.

And last I checked, Ned isn't the Lord O' Bones. Imagine all the rattling in the wagons with all those bones.

Barbrey should have been honored that Ned brought back the horse that she gave her husband.

I don't think any of them are really on the Bolton side.

<snip>

And even assuming she does bear a grudge against Ned and the Starks given what you describe here the question arises about which grudge is bigger. Ned got beheaded and House Stark has certainly had enough suffering delivered upon it to sate a good bit hungered for vengeance. Roose, aside from the fate of her sister and nephew, just helped kill Ryswells and Dustins under Guest Right. If Lady Dustin is in fact sensitive about the ill fate of her past potential and actual marriages she can't be oblivious to the potential similarity her present position has to Lady Hornwood's.

Whether or not she hates Ned as much as she says (which is questionable) still doesn't mean that hate translates into support for Roose or that her hate will blind her to the political reality that surrounds her.

I don't buy into any of the conspiracy theories. I think she is actively pulling for Roose - there is a scene where the Freys/Manderlys are at each other's throats and she is the one who steps in and calms them

Yes, she despises Ramsay. So does Roose, to a certain extent. Remember, Lady Dustin's precious nephew was Roose's son - it's his loss as much as it is her's. To think she'd want revenge on him for that makes no sense.

Archived