Is Barbrey (Ryswell) Dustin Too Harsh on Ned?

BloodyGoatHoat

Out of everyone that holds an illegitimate grudge against Ned, her's is pretty extreme. I suppose Lord Dustin was the only other lord that died from the north at the tower, but how does that automatically make Ned obligated to take his bones a million miles north? He at least burried all the dead (including his enemies). You think she could let that go after he lost his head and almost all of his kin are dead, but she still wants his bones forsaken. And I thought Balon's grudge was overdone.

Does anyone recall where Ned's bones are at the end of ADWD?

She might be faking her grudge, but she does have some legitimate reasons to hate the Starks. First she fell in love with Brandon Stark, but tshe was considered too low for a betrothal. After that she seemed to have a relatively happy marriage with Willam, but then Eddard went to war, leading to the death of her husband and then Ned doesn't go to the trouble of bring his bones, even though he brought back Lyanna's. I mean after all that who wouldn't be bitter, even though the Starks never intentionally did her any wrong.

What strikes me as odd is she wants to prevent Ned's bones from rightly being buried in the WC but also wants to install Rickon as Lord of Winterfell or even KITN. Wouldn't Rickon be a tad bit upset with her if he found out she desacrated his fathers bones?

When does she want to do this?

I think what she wants to do with Neds bones is petty. I kind of understand why she doesn't like Ned. I mean he left her husbands bones in a foreign land and bought back a horse. I would take the bones. I mean he bought back Lyannas and she may have been negligent in the war that the man died in. even though Dustin doesnt know that. I mean Jon Arryn himself took the bones of Lewyn Martell back to Dorne as a sort of peace offer so obviously they mean a lot.

I think what she wants to do with Neds bones is petty. I kind of understand why she doesn't like Ned. I mean he left her husbands bones in a foreign land and bought back a horse. I would take the bones. I mean he bought back Lyannas and she may have been negligent in the war that the man died in. even though Dustin doesnt know that. I mean Jon Arryn himself took the bones of Lewyn Martell back to Dorne as a sort of peace offer so obviously they mean a lot.

You make a good point, but I think the issue is a little more complicated. I don't imagine bringing bones home is an easy process. Ned isn't exactly a slacker, so I'd imagine if he didn't bring them home then there was a good reason. I also imagine that bringing bones home is like bringing candy to class, you best have enough to share with everyone. Bring Lord Dustin's bones home and maybe the Glovers and the Wulls begin asking why their kin's bones remain in Dorne and so forth.

You make a good point, but I think the issue is a little more complicated. I don't imagine bringing bones home is an easy process. Ned isn't exactly a slacker, so I'd imagine if he didn't bring them home then there was a good reason. I also imagine that bringing bones home is like bringing candy to class, you best have enough to share with everyone. Bring Lord Dustin's bones home and maybe the Glovers and the Wulls begin asking why their kin's bones remain in Dorne and so forth.

Excactly.

But I kind of think she´s faking it. It would be very GRRmish to have a character being the complete opposite of how it´s acting when we get to know said characther.

Then again, she might be introduced to show that not the entire north loved the starks, and that the starks weren´t always so nice to their bannermen.

I´m sure if Rickard had been alive, that southron ambitious lord would have put an end to Benjens ideas of joining the NW and at the very least married him to a good northern wife like said lady´s.

She might already have the bones and be keeping them safe :D

Really.

I don't think she tells the truth about her feelings for the Starks at all.

( Pardon me. I just started a thread about her and Roose on the ADWD forum. )

Yeah, like others this really strikes me as an Oscar-worthy performance on Lady Dustin's part. Although honestly she might even be over-acting a little bit a la Emilia Clarke, since we've all seemed to pick up on her seemingly irrational hate that doesn't seem to hold up to scrutiny. So maybe we should hold off on that Oscar.

But between her "The North remembers" comment to Frey, the seemingly pointless endeavor into the crypts (that doesn't make much sense unless we consider that she was looking for the missing swords to confirm the missing Starks), the Snowmen imagery (where she is built as a snowman((get it?) alongside Manderley et al), and her everlasting hatred for Ramsay Bolton, I'm really guessing that her "harshness" is more for show than for real.

She was annoyed at Ned, because he brought home his sisters bones but not her husbands (which is a decent enough reason), and Rickard because he wouldnt let Brandon and her marry. Other than those 2 - both of whom are now dead - I don't think she hates the Starks in general, and at any rate, she much prefers them to the boltons

I don`t believe that she`s that pissed at Ned, mainly because hers is a very dumb plan. Trashing his grave? Really? That`s her master plan for revenge? That`s the best she could come up with in all these years? She doesn`t appear to be a dumb person, in fact she seems to be quite clever, so I don`t believe that that`s her ultimate plan. She`s either cooking up something bigger (something like burning down Winterfell, that would show the Starks...) or she`s plotting against Roose, either way I don`t see how would forsaking Ned`s bones do her any good.

No guys, I really think the feeding the bones to her dogs story is a cover for if she gets caught with the bones. The Boltons would feed them to their dogs.

She also gets those crypts open for infiltrators. I don't think just to count swords.

I think she acts they way she does because Reek is Ramsays creature she can't say anything good about the Starks infront of him.Most important part is North Remembers comment she remembers who betrayed North and whether she hates or loves the Starks the fact is she knows that there won't be peace while Boltons are rulling.Because Boltons are lapdogs of IT and she knows what Ramsay did to Lady Hornwood and Domeric.Serious fact is Domeric was her adopted son in a way I mean.She won't support Boltons for what they did they made North bend the knee again and as much as she hates Starks she like any other Northerner would choose freedom over bending knee to the southerners again.

In a thread concerning Ned's unknown mother there were some pretty solid arguments she must have been a Dustin, making the Barbrey's late husband Ned's cousin. If that is the case and they were kin it might help explain why the failure to bring back his bones, when he brought his sister's is such a deeply felt grievance.

Archived