how many "OGs" on the forum?

gash

But be even more careful not to underestimate the great gash.

We all live in the shadow of his turbulence and in fear of his great wrath....

Speaking of which, whose turn is it to bring the sacrificial lamb cuz I did it three weeks in a row now . . .

We all live in the shadow of his turbulence and in fear of his great wrath....

Speaking of which, whose turn is it to bring the sacrificial lamb cuz I did it three weeks in a row now . . .

Here's hoping he'll just settle for a bowl of milk and some felix jelly.

I started reading the books shortly after the first HBO series began showing, a couple of episodes in I think. I read the first four books back to back, then bought the fifth recently and started again from the beginning. I finished last week, and I'm lost... what do I read next while I'm waiting for Winds of Winter?

Started this time last year, didn't watch the show until I finished the books. I was 6 in 96 so.. Not too fussed really. First I heard of the series was because of the show, and the shorts didn't really pique my interest. A few friends at uni were talking about the books last year and that got me into them. I can only imagine peoples frustration with waiting for new books. I haven't finished my first reread yet so everything still feels relatively fresh to me.

I started reading the books shortly after the first HBO series began showing, a couple of episodes in I think. I read the first four books back to back, then bought the fifth recently and started again from the beginning. I finished last week, and I'm lost... what do I read next while I'm waiting for Winds of Winter?

the Dunk & Egg novellas for one. IDk what to tell you after that. Suffer with the rest of us I guess

the Dunk & Egg novellas for one. IDk what to tell you after that. Suffer with the rest of us I guess

I've just finished The Hedge Knight and I loved it. Anyone who's waiting for TWOW and doesn't know what to read should definitely read The Dunk and Egg tales.

I started with the show, and I only read the books this past year after Season 2 finished airing. Ironically, I had first encountered A Game of Thrones as a little kid back when it first came out in a library, and I remember a kid in middle school who used to read them, and I would see him with ASoS, and AFfC after that came out when I started high school. By the time the TV show came, which I watched as soon as episode 1 aired, but only cause TV critics were talking about it, I had forgotten all about my early encounters with the books, and I dont even think I thought about the show as an adaptation til I noticed " Based on A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin" in the credits about 4 episodes in, still not making the connections.

Being someone obsessed with detail once Im truly interested, however, I already found myself to be much more aware of all the backstory and geography than all the other show only viewers I encountered. Growing bored of that, eventually, despite my reservations that it would take me forever, I came to commit myself to read all the books. I ended up reading Books 1 & 2 in less than 3 weeks, with Book 3 I took a long many month break after RW, but came back to finish it three months ago, and subsequently read Books 4 & 5 in a week each. I then still managed to re-read dozens of chapters from each of them many times over before Season 3 aired.

I'm a fanatic now. I have no idea how OGs, or even people who simply started before Feast, or around that time, made it through the many years wait. I'm in serious withdrawal just from TWoW not being out yet, two months after finishing the last one. You guys blow my mind.

Yeah I would have been 2 years old in '96

- I'm afraid The Tiger Who Came To Tea was reigning as the best book at that time.

Damn! Lady Hodor, Theda, etc your all making me feel old.

In '96 I was 19 and thought I had the world in a headlock, like a young Bobby Baratheon without the illegitimate children and spousal abuse. GRRM wasn't even on my radar, the only things I'm certain I read that year were Trainspotting by Irving Welsh, Chickenhawk by Robert Mason, the IEE wiring regulations and PADI training manual.

ASOIAF only came to my attention in the run up to the TV series. I read an interview with GRRM where he slated BSG (still a sore point) and Lost (meh, kinda seen it coming) saying his series wouldn't have such a crummy ending. I watched the first episode and hoovered up the books.

Still seething side note: If I had his address I would have posted Ron Moore my copy of The God Delusion.

I've just finished The Hedge Knight and I loved it. Anyone who's waiting for TWOW and doesn't know what to read should definitely read The Dunk and Egg tales.

Dunk and Egg are awesome as was The Hedge Knight. For anyone who has gone through everything I suggest you read The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon, not only is it one of GRRM's favorite (and inspiration for ASOIAF) but it is a great read on medieval France.

I wonder how many actual people will buy WoW on the release date? I wonder if it will get into Harry Potter selling range?

I think it was back in 2005?...more or less....i was working on a ski resort in the mountains, nothing to do, sometimes coudn't even get out because of the snow...one of the guest recomended me the books and boy...what a nice company they were.

I wonder how many actual people will buy WoW on the release date? I wonder if it will get into Harry Potter selling range?

As soon as its available to reserve, I'll be the first to make sure I definitely get it on the day.

I've thought about this as well. I personally don't like GRRM much as a writer/person, so I plan to resist the intitial craze of the release date. Though, who knows. I may not be able to resist once it comes out. Hell, I could die before it even gets published.

Edit: To be playful with Hip Hop diction, I earlier admitted to not being an OG in asoiaf; however, I would submit that I consider myself to be a more "trill" fan than most fans (including OG's).

Archived