[Book Spoilers] Jaime/Brienne

Katydid

I know Dinkledge is the only actor who's getting any recognition for this series (not fair at all), but NCW is running circles around everyone this year (except maybe Dance).

I think NCW and Maisie should both win awards this year. Dinklage was fab last year but these two stole it from him this year.

This scene - omg this scene - was amazing. I got so slammed on a review of GOT S3E1 because I defended Jaime saying that he had redeeming qualities. This episode really shows how much Jaime was - for lack of a better word - tormented by the Mad King's reign. And when he apologizes to Brienne after insulting her and she warns him not to mock her, you can tell how genuine and contrite he is. I really pray that GRRM does them justice in the next two books and lets him redeem himself. And lets Brienne find some peace in her place in the world (and doesn't kill them!)

First time post! *nerves*

Ever since I read the books, Jaime and Brienne have been my favorite duo. I'm not hugely concerned about whether or not a dream sequence would be too "hokey" because the showrunners have already proven that they can deliver one without having it come across cheesy or weird (re: Bran). There's a big difference between the book dream sequences and the TV sequences - they've taken out what was a bit over the top (talking crow teaching Bran to fly) while still attempting to deliver the message, albeit with a bit more subtlety. Likewise, I think they COULD pull off this dream in a way that would be more realistic and less mystical - make the non-reading viewers question how Jaime arrived in King's Landing so quickly (the same way they questioned how Bran was walking again)...

I think Jaime's line "I dreamed of you" is an important line because he's acknowledging (to Brienne and to himself) that he has formed a bond with her, the first real bond he's had with anyone other than his immediate family members - someone that he isn't obliged to care about. The fact that he was honest about it when he could have made any number of cruel remarks shows his respect for her and seems like an attempt to earn some of her respect in return. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't included.

Then again, they might cut out Brienne asking the question altogether... :dunno:

Hey there Ellypsis! You are no longer a Maiden :)

I think the "Dreamed of you" comment is important too, but working it in will be difficult. But it seems that no matter what the showrunners do someone will find it hokey. Like I've been reading a lot of reviews from the most recent show and they are heaping praise on NCW and GC for the bath scene. That said, a number have commented that his "Jaime. My name is Jaime" line was hokey or unnecessary when us fans loved it.

Well people are clearly snobs then lol.

No but seriously, it's not hokey or unnecessary. When we first see him talking to his father, he's claiming he doesn't care what people think of him. That line is him actually admitting that the title gets under his skin. Hokey, maybe I can see. But not unnecessary.

I thought she looked very pretty.

They used her armor and clothing to make her more masculine when Gwendoline Christie is actually a very, very attractive person. In the bath scene they had no way to hide that other than her facial expressions (frowning, scowling, etc) and when she's totally blown away by Jaime's story, she took on a very sincere look of compassion. Hard to make her look ugly without effects.

It's because she was clean. A visual cue of the contrast between the two characters.

Indeed.

They used her armor and clothing to make her more masculine when Gwendoline Christie is actually a very, very attractive person. In the bath scene they had no way to hide that other than her facial expressions (frowning, scowling, etc) and when she's totally blown away by Jaime's story, she took on a very sincere look of compassion. Hard to make her look ugly without effects.

True.

This is also the moment when Jaime begins to see her, appreciate her, as a woman. It's appropriate that we, the audience, too begin to see her as an attractive woman.

This is also the moment when Jaime begins to see her, appreciate her, as a woman. It's appropriate that we, the audience, too begin to see her as an attractive woman.

Exactly. These are for the most part attractive actors, after all. Many actors in the show are mOre attractive than the characters they portray are supposed to be. Other than Brienne, Tyrion, Ygritte, Selyse come to mind.

FWIW, GC's change in looks is not from being clean. She pretty much scowled through the whole time leading up to the bath scene. She's in the end quite attractive.

Exactly. These are for the most part attractive actors, after all. Many actors in the show are mOre attractive than the characters they portray are supposed to be. Other than Brienne, Tyrion, Ygritte, Selyse come to mind.

FWIW, GC's change in looks is not from being clean. She pretty much scowled through the whole time leading up to the bath scene. She's in the end quite attractive.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot they could have done to make GC as ugly as Brienne is described in the books. She does a great job of scowling and shooting disapproving/scornful looks at Jaime, but in the bath scene, when she's slowly realizing the truth about Jaime, her shocked look softens her face to the point where she looks really pretty.

Even with no make-up, she's a stunning woman.

The Jaime/Brienne storyline has been my favorite so far this year, and not for any 'shipping reason. I've read the series up through Storm of Swords, and there are certain sections of the book that I always thought were going to be even better on the show. The Jaime/Brienne stuff in general, but especially the story of the Mad King, is in that category for me because so much depends on the performances. Reading that monologue, it's easy to forget that Jaime is sitting there half rotted away and wounded and that both of them are there naked in front of each other, laying the truth out.

It was great...exceeded expectations.

www.nattercast.com

I have just re-watched the whole bath scene again and my goodness, it was PERFECT. It is one of the greatest scenes in this series. Nikolaj has to be awarded for the incredible work he's been doing. His acting has been superb.

Jaime's anger, frustration, bitterness and resentment were impeccably presented. That whole monologue culminating in his break down at the mention of Eddard judging him without even trying to understand why he did it just made it even better. An incredibly powerful and emotional scene.

"By what right does the wolf judges the lion?"

It deserves a standing applause.

I have just re-watched the whole bath scene again and my goodness, it was PERFECT. It is one of the greatest scenes in this series. Nikolaj has to be awarded for the incredible work he's been doing. His acting has been superb.

Jaime's anger, frustration, bitterness and resentment were impeccably presented. That whole monologue culminating in his break down at the mention of Eddard judging him without even trying to understand why he did it just made it even better. An incredibly powerful and emotional scene.

"By what right does the wolf judges the lion?"

It deserves a standing applause.

I've re-watched the scene, and only the scene, 5 times now already. It's perfect every time. I marvel at NCW's acting. He was so authentic, so real, it really is something to behold. GC's reaction shots were also wonderful. Brilliant scene. HBO better submit it for Emmy consideration.

For the longest time I thought the "by what right" line was just a reference to their sigils...but then I realized that underneath that is Jaime's statement that Ned really isn't any better than him. By what right does a wolf judge a lion? They are more similar than different, even though lions have a reputation as kings of their domain. They both rely on their packs and they are both ferocious animals. Who are you, Ned Stark, to judge me guilty? You have a bastard son and just fought a war to do exactly what I just did. It's pretty interesting.

Archived