Magic throne?

Anyone ever get the impression that the IR might be more than just a symbol? It was forged by dragon fire from the swords of fallen enemies, which definetly fits the blood-magic MO.

Plus, if it is magic, and Jamie was the first to sit on the throne once the old king was offed, with the blood of the old king still on his armor, might this mean...... that Jamie is the PTWP?

Well they do make references to the Throne cutting those who are bad rulers or something of that nature, but really it's made of a thousand swords. Anyone could get cut if they spent hours on it and forgot it was not a regular chair. Nothing besides cutting Mad Kings has really happened to or by the Throne itself.

Anyone ever get the impression that the IR might be more than just a symbol? It was forged by dragon fire from the swords of fallen enemies, which definetly fits the blood-magic MO.

Plus, if it is magic, and Jamie was the first to sit on the throne once the old king was offed, with the blood of the old king still on his armor, might this mean...... that Jamie is the PTWP?

That would mean any legitimate Targ would be a good ruler and we can see in westeros that is not the case. Plus GRRM's magic doesn't seem to work like that w/in the series.

What made me think of this is a question that's always been nagging me. Melisandre is always talking about how important king's blood is, but who is to say who the king is?

I'm rereading CoK right now, and Renly says something interesting on the eve of his (not to be) battle with Stanis. He hints that he knows his claim is weaker than Stanis', but he doesn't care since the only thing that makes one a king is a large army. It worked for Robert and it'll work for him.

So on the one hand you have Mel, who says that kingship is a quasi-mystical state which supercharges your blood. She also thinks that Baratheon blood is valid kings blood. While on the other hand you have Renly, who says that a king is made by a large army, as demonstrated by Robert Baratheon. So which is it? Does having a large army and calling yourself a king supercharge your blood? Or is something else required, like maybe sitting on the throne?

So on the one hand you have Mel, who says that kingship is a quasi-mystical state which supercharges your blood. She also thinks that Baratheon blood is valid kings blood. While on the other hand you have Renly, who says that a king is made by a large army, as demonstrated by Robert Baratheon. So which is it? Does having a large army and calling yourself a king supercharge your blood? Or is something else required, like maybe sitting on the throne?

The act of being a King doesn't magically supercharge them, and I don't think Mel thinks that. But look at who the Kings of the last several hundred years were. So, given she's using it for some kind of blood magic - you'd assume it's pedigree and purity might play some part, the Targs were from a very old family and practiced inbreeding to keep that bloodline pure. Not only that but Robert, who bumped them off the throne comes from a family that is split off that same bloodline. Renly, Stannis - they all share this as well.

I don't think it's needing a King, I think it's about needing a specific pedigree of blood.

But as far as pedigree goes, the Baratheon blood ties to the Targaryens were noted to be a thin pretext for Rob’s rule in GoT. Also, you have Gilly taking Mance Rayder’s son away from the wall so that Mel wouldn’t get to him because of he’s the son of the king-beyond-the-wall, which would get beyond the whole blood-line, pedigree ideas. Unless you believe the whole MR = RT theory.

Maybe the answer to what makes a king is the answer to Vary’s riddle: power (kingship) resides where people believe it resides. When enough people believe a person is special, it supercharges the blood

But as far as pedigree goes, the Baratheon blood ties to the Targaryens were noted to be a thin pretext for Rob’s rule in GoT. Also, you have Gilly taking Mance Rayder’s son away from the wall so that Mel wouldn’t get to him because of he’s the son of the king-beyond-the-wall, which would get beyond the whole blood-line, pedigree ideas. Unless you believe the whole MR = RT theory.

Maybe the answer to what makes a king is the answer to Vary’s riddle: power (kingship) resides where people believe it resides. When enough people believe a person is special, it supercharges the blood

No I don't believe that theory. Nor do I need to take Sam and Gilly's excellent adventure into account. Jon sent them away to keep them safe - but did Mel actually make a move on the boy? Nope. That's Jon's idea based on his speculations at the time. (not to mention that Mel keeps MR alive - if it was 'kings blood' via Manse - why not burn him... even Mel doesn't think Manse has whatever quality 'kings blood' is supposed to have).

As for Roberts claim for Kingship via his bloodline - It has less to do with him sitting the throne, than it is about what's being told in that pretext. That he shares the same bloodline as the previous kings.

On one hand I can look back on the body of work and say 'Yes, they all have a shared lineage.....' but I see nothing to support some kind of innate nature of the world that changes someones blood when they are declared king. Occams Razor.

Varys' riddle was very straightforward - no magical supercharging by mandate of the masses, simply a viewpoint on the nature of power for Tyrion to think on. Finishing his point (and putting that riddle in context) that despite his physical stature, he could be considered a powerful man.

No I don't believe that theory. Nor do I need to take Sam and Gilly's excellent adventure into account. Jon sent them away to keep them safe - but did Mel actually make a move on the boy? Nope. That's Jon's idea based on his speculations at the time. (not to mention that Mel keeps MR alive - if it was 'kings blood' via Manse - why not burn him... even Mel doesn't think Manse has whatever quality 'kings blood' is supposed to have).

As for Roberts claim for Kingship via his bloodline - It has less to do with him sitting the throne, than it is about what's being told in that pretext. That he shares the same bloodline as the previous kings.

On one hand I can look back on the body of work and say 'Yes, they all have a shared lineage.....' but I see nothing to support some kind of innate nature of the world that changes someones blood when they are declared king. Occams Razor.

Varys' riddle was very straightforward - no magical supercharging by mandate of the masses, simply a viewpoint on the nature of power for Tyrion to think on. Finishing his point (and putting that riddle in context) that despite his physical stature, he could be considered a powerful man.

Well, I totally agree with you about the meaning of Vary’s riddle as far as Tyrion. However, this being a work of literature, sometime what a character says has implications and meaning outside what the character meant by it.

So what you’re saying is that kings blood is just a proxy for targ blood? I mean, I guess... it’s logical, but it doesn’t seem like a very satisfying answer. After all, Mel didn’t say ‘I need Targ blood / blood of the dragon / blood of old valyria...’ She said she needed king’s blood. Which implies that there’s something special about being king. Which makes me wonder how one gets this specialness...

idk...

Archived