Super Duper SoCal BWB

Guest Pah Muadd'H

This from the chick who brings a severely underaged young man to a wild party!

To be fair... It wasn't wild until I left!

Your roommates are really sweet. (I totally get now why you call it Bag End!) I had a great time and rather wish that I hadn't had to bring the "severely underaged young man." But then again, he is the love of my life...

Welcome back, Q!

Meera, drop me a line, I want to see some of those Tolkien sites you were talking about...

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...

Just a followup on the GenCon signing/dinner...

My daughter and I enjoyed meeting GRRM and some of the BWBers. I wish we'd been able to visit with more of folks who were at the dinner, but at least we got to know a few (Hi Snowleo!)

Hopefully I will make it down to SoCal for the next gathering (missed the party :mad: ).

Aggie, here is some of the Tolkien info we talked about. I don't know if it is ok to post this on a GRRM board, but here it is (you can yell at me if it is not!):

Fan website: http://www.theonering.net/index.shtml

California LOTR Con: http://www.creationent.com/cal/one_ring.htm

There is also a SoCal Tolkien group that gets together regularly. Their email group addy is: http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tolkien_Forever/

'Nuff on Tolkien.

Like I said earlier, I enjoyed George's talk at GenCon, and was jazzed to be able to visit with him and fellow fans afterwards. I really couldn't think of anything to say to him, other than to let him know that as a lifelong reader that I really enjoyed his writing and the ASOIAF world. Besides, I had lost my voice and had trouble talking as it was!

I also picked up a copy of the new Art book at GenCon, and was able to get it signed. Pretty nice book...

Well, that's it. I'm off for a week or so - I'll touch base when I get back.

meera

I think it is a bit scary for those under seven, but any other kid should love it.

Bronn-

Early on in the movie one of the brothers calls the other one "stupid" and Elizabeth leaned over to me and in a loud stage whisper said "I think that's why it is rated PG." (Because around our house- and her school- "stupid" is a pretty bad word to be throwing around.)

Quite a bit later when talking animals were getting hacked up in the battle scene I pointed out that *that* was probably why it was PG. She just nodded, all wide eyed.

Hey all,

Just thought I would drop a note, I've recently moved from NYC to San Diego. For the most part I have always been a lurker on the old board (I had only made it to Hedge Knight in like three years, now I get to start over, lol). Just thought I would drop a note and say "hi". I was at the GenCon SoCal signing but missed the Mysterious Galaxy one because I was still at GenCon :( I am hoping to make it to LAcon next year, though I don't know if I will be able to get there since I am also planning on going to GenCon Indy in the same month...

Hey all,

I was at the GenCon SoCal signing but missed the Mysterious Galaxy one because I was still at GenCon :( I am hoping to make it to LAcon next year, though I don't know if I will be able to get there since I am also planning on going to GenCon Indy in the same month...

Hey Katie, it was a shame you didn't get in touch with us earlier - the BWB'ers that were at GenCon had dinner with George after the signing. You coulda hung with The Man Himself. :)

Hey Katie, it was a shame you didn't get in touch with us earlier - the BWB'ers that were at GenCon had dinner with George after the signing. You coulda hung with The Man Himself. :)

Of course, by this, Aghrivaine means himself... :P

GRRM would just have been supporting cast.

Of course, by this, Aghrivaine means himself... :P

GRRM would just have been supporting cast.

Heh, yeah I wish I had thought to. I did get to talk to him a bit at the signing though and that was cool. I saw some of you there (at least I assume it was you guys with the different house shirts) but I am kind of shy in person, so I didn't say much. Hopefully he'll be out this way again soon for another signing in a year or so and I can meet up with some of you at Mysterious Galaxy (btw, I LOVE that store!)

I would hope that rather than choosing to meet a few people at a Mysterious Galaxy signing that you'd very much rather attend LA Con next August. We are expecting around 100 people from these forums from all around the world to be in attendance. And it is practically in your backyard in Anaheim. Give the thread (pinned in this forum) a look.

I would hope that rather than choosing to meet a few people at a Mysterious Galaxy signing that you'd very much rather attend LA Con next August. We are expecting around 100 people from these forums from all around the world to be in attendance. And it is practically in your backyard in Anaheim. Give the thread (pinned in this forum) a look.

Oh, its not a lack of desire to go that holds me back, believe me, it's more of a lack of vacation time and money. (That and the previously mentioned shyness, lol) I'm already going to GenCon Indy that month. I do plan to try, I'm just not sure what exactly the con itself is like, and what I'd do other than any Martin related events... and how much it would cost, etc. Hmm, and how I'd explain it to the hubby. I can't see him wanting to come...

Okay. You know your situation better than I do.

But I still would think that a day trip would be possible (WorldCon does sell day passes). And I'm guessing that your husband couldn't mind too much 'going to a party and hanging out and drinking beer' while you meet the geeks.

And one of the nights we won't even be at the Con - we'll be at an offsite party. Monitor the thread!

Archived