[Book spoilers]: GoT producer expects at least 7 seasons

Werthead

A lot actually depends on how many opportunities the actors receive because of the success of the show. Emilia Clarke is already trying to branch out, although she hasn't been terribly successful so far. So has Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, although he probably won't be an issue since I don't think Jaime will be needed for the whole span of the series. Peter Dinklage is obviously limited in the roles he can take on but he has already been cast in the next X-Men and a whole host of other projects. The truth is, many of the actors might simply be tired of filming in Northern Ireland after seven years. In any case, the budget for the actors will be considerably more expensive for any season after the seventh one.

But getting back to this thread in particular, I thought the whole purpose of the discussion was talking about how the producers of the show could film the series in seven seasons if that's the direction they are going in, not whether they might be eight or nine seasons.

One of the good things about GoT is that its fragmented nature means few actors are needed for the whole six months of filming. Charles Dance reportedly filmed all of his Season 2 appearances in two weeks, for example. People like Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington and Peter Dinklage are probably needed a lot more than that, but still not the nine to ten months of a regular US drama series, which would much more limit their ability to take on other roles.

That and it would be pretty bad PR to just drop the show that, for a lot of the younger actors is what made them famous all of a sudden after 6 years. That's not going to instill confidence in other directors and producers.

One of the good things about GoT is that its fragmented nature means few actors are needed for the whole six months of filming. Charles Dance reportedly filmed all of his Season 2 appearances in two weeks, for example. People like Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington and Peter Dinklage are probably needed a lot more than that, but still not the nine to ten months of a regular US drama series, which would much more limit their ability to take on other roles.

True enough. From what I read, Lena Headey also filmed all of her appearances in the third season in two weeks, which is becoming all the more remarkable with every episode I see.

That said, I was under the impression the point of the thread was trying to envision how the producers of the show might go about filming the series in seven seasons, not speculating as to whether there might be more. Once we enter that territory, I am sure we could make a good argument that it might last ten seasons, in which case they can very well film everything or at least some version of it.

Also, shouldn't we at least try to take the producers at their word?

If you read this interview, it really doesn't sound like Benioff and Weiss are going to be as faithful to the material as many would imagine. That is why I don't think I'm being altogether that blasphemous to suggest they might simply eliminate the Aegon and Blackfyre storyline.

True enough. From what I read, Lena Headey also filmed all of her appearances in the third season in two weeks, which is becoming all the more remarkable with every episode I see.

That said, I was under the impression the point of the thread was trying to envision how the producers of the show might go about filming the series in seven seasons, not speculating as to whether there might be more. Once we enter that territory, I am sure we could make a good argument that it might last ten seasons, in which case they can very well film everything or at least some version of it.

Also, shouldn't we at least try to take the producers at their word?

If you read this interview, it really doesn't sound like Benioff and Weiss are going to be as faithful to the material as many would imagine. That is why I don't think I'm being altogether that blasphemous to suggest they might simply eliminate the Aegon and Blackfyre storyline.

I don't think that comment precludes the addition of new storylines. They are probably right in that S3 is the biggest in terms of introducing new characters. The only brand new plot liens S4 will introduce is potentially Dorne with the only other major additions being a couple of Ironborn. That is combined with the contraction and convergence of several plots towards the end of S4.

Aegon and Dorne have both been foreshadowed far to frequently to not happen in the show. Why mention Rhaegar's kids or Myrcella's betrothal only to cut those plot lines loose later? No reason.

By the way keep in mind. Even if it might only be 7 seasons, who says season 5 6 and 7 just have 10 episodes? If they have between 12 and 15 I could see it more likely to do the whole series in 7 seasons.

They have stated on several occasions that logistically they simply cannot film any more than that for every season.

Logistics can change though.

You can look up this issue online. They have stated, repeatedly, that they cannot film more than ten episodes. In other words, it's not happening.

You can look up this issue online. They have stated, repeatedly, that they cannot film more than ten episodes. In other words, it's not happening.

I think there may be one (possibly two) exceptions to this rule. The first would be the fifth season of the show, which will cover the bulk of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. I also happen to think that we'll see some material from The Winds of Winter in season five, as well. The reason I think this season may be extended is because True Blood will likely end with season seven, which would air in 2014. Pushing the premiere of the fifth season of Game of Thrones would allow D&D to produce additional episodes for that season, and it also puts HBO's most popular series into a time slot that has considerably less competition. I think an order of 13 episodes would be sufficient to cover all of that material in a way that works for television, and would be logistically possible with an additional three months of production time (since an average episode takes 18 days to shoot). From that point, I think every season but the final season will have the standard order of ten episodes. The last season may also have just ten episodes, but if any other season were going to be extended, it would be the final season (since there would be no concern regarding a continuing production schedule).

This is from the perspective of a book reader. As I noted above, many television-only viewers, including those tasked with recapping the show for entertainment websites, did not even remember Barristan Selmy.

Now you're asking the general audience to remember throw away lines that occurred years in the past?

They won't need to be expected to remember them. The will be reintroduced to the characters as they have been many others. The mad King and Rhaegar have been continuosly brought up enough that viewers are well aware of who they are and who the Targs are. We have talked about the kids being killed multiple times already. There will be more in depth discussions of them in seasons to come. Oberyn's whole reason for being in the story is basically to give exposition on Elia, Aegon and Rhanaeys deaths. The targ kids can easily become as known as Rhaegar and the Mad King, both of whom show watchers are quite familiar with.

I wouldn't be suprised if the order of things was switched around a bit to also have Varys' monologue while killing Kevan come before the introduction of Aegon. It actually would make a pretty good introduction to the character to have Varys state he lives and is being trained to be king, then cut to tyrion meeting him. Plus, I just don't expect them to have Varys gone for as long as he is in the show.

Aegon is an unlikely choice of character to be cut, IMO. I think a lot of book readers still just don't like his introduction to the story this late (whether he be he fake or real). And with him only being in the most recent book that some readers still don't like as much as the earlier books, I think they are quick to dismiss his importance to the future of the story due to preconceptions that are set in their minds.

The story is still early. I think some people are also overestimating just how much the average book reader thought about the Targ kids this early in the books. In terms of where we are in the show, compared to the book, we've just started to get Jaime's POV and haven't yet met the Red Viper. There's no need to set up Aegon too much this early. They've laid enough groundwork, IMO. More will be coming, but he's still 2 seasons away.

I love the show as well, but would rather to experience the story first through the books, as it was first conceived - it will just be weird if the show catches up.

Yep. And I live in fear that GRRM's writing will be influenced by what is essentially very expensive (though I guess profitable) fan fiction. IF the show writers decide to take the resolution in a direction that he never intended, how motivated will Martin really be to carry on as though he'd never seen it?

It's already well into the situation that the series events and the book events might as well be taking place in parallel Westeros universes. How much worse will it be if the show's writers have to create a season without any guideposts at all?

I don't care really at this point. I love the TV show, compared to hours and hours of garbage they peddle on TV. I really only have 3-4 TV shows I even care about, it often takes a year or two between shows to find something tolerable. Most shows on TV is stomach turning. I can't watch lawyer or cop shows simply because they bore me to tears.

GRRM's writing pace is his pace, I figure there is no sense getting mad about it, he has other priorites, like his development deals and side books, he isn't obligated to finish before the show. He doesn't seemed concerned, so I won't be either.

I say full steam ahead and spoil away.

This is the only show I watch on TV. And yeah, I find most of the other shows pretty crappy too.

Yep. And I live in fear that GRRM's writing will be influenced by what is essentially very expensive (though I guess profitable) fan fiction. IF the show writers decide to take the resolution in a direction that he never intended, how motivated will Martin really be to carry on as though he'd never seen it?

It's already well into the situation that the series events and the book events might as well be taking place in parallel Westeros universes. How much worse will it be if the show's writers have to create a season without any guideposts at all?

Er, they are already taking place in parallel universes. Game of Thrones, the show, and A Song of Ice and Fire, the books, are two separate canons and continuities. The show is based on the books but often takes different paths, deploys characters in a different manner and portrays events differently (most notably, a lot more simply).

You are right that the show may influence GRRM somewhat and already has, with him saying he might portray Osha a little bit more like Natalia Tena when she reappears, but I doubt the very big things - how the series ends, the fate of characters - will be influenced. Most notably, the books have built up a lot of characters, storylines and factions that simply don't exist in the TV universe, and those need to be paid off. How that happens will feed into the bigger storylines. I think the very general shape of the ending will be similar, but the details will likely be vastly different.

Aegon is an unlikely choice of character to be cut, IMO. I think a lot of book readers still just don't like his introduction to the story this late (whether he be he fake or real). And with him only being in the most recent book that some readers still don't like as much as the earlier books, I think they are quick to dismiss his importance to the future of the story due to preconceptions that are set in their minds..

I don't fall under this category since I have long expected Aegon to appear from all the way back to the House of Undying chapter in A Clash of Kings. I am simply trying to be realistic.

If we are working under the assumption that there will only be seventy episodes, major storylines need to be cut. Aegon, since he has had only minimal interaction with Tyrion and no one else of consequence (i.e., main characters), is, in my view, a likely suspect.

I do allow that we don't know his ultimate importance to the story yet, so it may be the case that he actually ends up being necessary to the plot. By the same token, if he is just one more domino in a series that Daenerys fells in her journey across the world, I don't see why he can't be dispensed with.

I think there may be one (possibly two) exceptions to this rule . . .

I'm not really informed enough to have an opinion about this possibility. There would seem to be many variables, starting with the fact that longer seasons would significantly alter the production budget. Then we would have consider whether Benioff and Weiss have any desire to further expand the production schedule and what type of contracts the actors have and whether they would be contractually obligated to spend more of their year filming Game of Thrones.

I'm sure someone said it already but I'm guessing we'll see a season that is 12-15 episodes to handle the massive scale of the landscapes and characters as we add in Dorne and Beyond the Wall/Lands of Winter involved in books 4-6 (assuming WoW doesn't compress radically in storyline numbers.)

They have stated on several occasions that logistically they simply cannot film any more than that for every season.

Logistically if they are the premier show on the network they will be getting more money which may allow for shooting a 13 episode block -- then again those CGI dragons are going to eat more and more budget.

You can probably shoot Dorne in a similar location to Mereen, beyond the Wall isn't a problem since they've got that pegged down now, the focus on KL isn't a problem, adding in Winterfell and the Sansa/LF storyline shouldnt be an issue since they've already done location work there. So if its just manpower they need, increased budgets could probably handle that for a single season which is how I imagine AFFC/DoD is going to be shot.

10 seasons it is; it is known. The fear from producers has more to do with renewing contracts at a hefty price rather than give up on their profits. The show already has umpteen number of fans who've read the books, and they know that we'll love even the dullest of scenes if done right.

Archived