Cersei's choice, Tommen or Myrcella

Lion of Judah

The Red Viper played with the idea of marrying Cersei if she agreed to support Myrcella as Queen instead of Tommen as King in line with Dornish law. Tyrion himself is unsure what Cersei would do if such a thing was proposed. So if given a choice would Cersei have supported Myrcella over Tommen?

It all depends. Cersei would choose the child she could control better and the one who would give her all power. She would choose the one whom she has the best chance to rule alone with. And I believe that`s Tommen. BUt all would depend on Tywin being alive...

Considering how much Cersei wanted to be recognized as an authority figure in her own right, not as queen to a king or queen regent to a son, I think she would be open to this, but not initially. But if the seed was planted, it would certainly grow.

Tywin was still alive at this time and supporting Myrcella would mean going against him. But Cersei has always resented the idea of being a woman and not being able to rule. She might be tempted to live her desires out through Myrcella.

It all depends. Cersei would choose the child she could control better and the one who would give her all power. She would choose the one whom she has the best chance to rule alone with. And I believe that`s Tommen. BUt all would depend on Tywin being alive...

I'm under the impression she put all of her eggs into the "Joffrey" basket and Joffrey was the least controllable.

I'm under the impression she put all of her eggs into the "Joffrey" basket and Joffrey was the least controllable.

Because he was the oldest one, and she tried to control him, and she epically failed. She tought by spoiling him, he would become dependable on her. Needless to say she was wrong.

Hard to say.

As stated before she would be more open to the one who let her control them more.

And Tommen is certainly pretty maleable at this stage, but i think he would get more assertive as he got older. In fact he has a lot of qualities that would result in him being a pretty good King.

We haven't really seen enough of Myrcella in her own right to properly know her personality/mouldability.

Hard to judge: I'd say Myrcella because she might look up to Cersei more as a role model as she was the Queen before her.

Tywin was still alive at this time and supporting Myrcella would mean going against him. But Cersei has always resented the idea of being a woman and not being able to rule. She might be tempted to live her desires out through Myrcella.

With Tywin dead, that would be a choice. But, with him alive, she is powerless, and she knew that. I doubt Cersei would live her dreams through Myrcella, she wanted to live them by ruling, and Tommen gave her that opportunity.

The only thing that would matter to Cersei is whether she would still have the power in her own hands. I don't think she would enjoy being married again and thus being again submitted to another man. As much as she seems to like Tommen less than she liked Joffrey, I am not sure she would see Myrcella as a better choice.

Plus I really can't see Cersei going against Tywin's counsel as long as he is alive and well.

If Tywin is subtracted from the picture, then I think Cersei definitely would support Myrcella. She has a certain resentment towards Tommen that she may not feel towards Myrcella.

With Tywin dead, that would be a choice. But, with him alive, she is powerless, and she knew that. I doubt Cersei would live her dreams through Myrcella, she wanted to live them by ruling, and Tommen gave her that opportunity.

I actually agree with both of these posts. I do think she would support Myrcella if Tywin was out of the picture, but only if she could rule through her. Ultimately, Cersei is not for women's rights, only her own rights. But I also think she has a strong allegiance to her own children, so it's a bit complicated.

Because he was the oldest one, and she tried to control him, and she epically failed. She tought by spoiling him, he would become dependable on her. Needless to say she was wrong.

I don't think so. I think she was proud of his defiance even if it was against her. Joffrey was what Cersei wished she could be.

I don't see why Cersei would replace Tommen with Myrcella unless she thought she could have more power. Myrcella is older, meaning she would come of age quicker and insert independence. Cersei would not go against Tywin and after his death she had control anyway.

The only thing that would matter to Cersei is whether she would still have the power in her own hands. I don't think she would enjoy being married again and thus being again submitted to another man. As much as she seems to like Tommen less than she liked Joffrey, I am not sure she would see Myrcella as a better choice.

Plus I really can't see Cersei going against Tywin's counsel as long as he is alive and well.

Here is the thing though, Cersei knew Tywin was pushing her out of the way. She went to Jamie and begged him to speak to Tywin on her behalf so he wouldn't take Tommen/her hold on power away. It is hard to see her go against Tywin, but what if she was backed into a corner? She is not immuned to kinslaying. And I think she was the one who made the marriage proposal to the Red Viper, check on that though don't take my word for it because I'm not certain.

If Tywin is subtracted from the picture, then I think Cersei definitely would support Myrcella. She has a certain resentment towards Tommen that she may not feel towards Myrcella.

That resentment came from Tommen standing up for himself.

Either way, i still think she would have chosen Tommen because he would be the key to power in a way Myrcella was not.

Here is the thing though, Cersei knew Tywin was pushing her out of the way. She went to Jamie and begged him to speak to Tywin on her behalf so he wouldn't take Tommen/her hold on power away. It is hard to see her go against Tywin, but what if she was backed into a corner? She is not immuned to kinslaying. And I think she was the one who made the marriage proposal to the Red Viper, check on that though don't take my word for it because I'm not certain.

I thought Tywin gave her the choice. We saw that when backed into a corner even Tyrion struck at his father, but I think it would take a lot for Cersei to openly defy her father. She had a queer love/hate and respect/fear relationship with him.

I think Myrcella as queen could open up more opportunities for Cersei, however, if she is first in line due to Oberyn's influence, Cersei is certainly going to take a back seat to the Red Viper, so it's not going to work in her favor. At least not this dynamic.

I thought Tywin gave her the choice. We saw that when backed into a corner even Tyrion struck at his father, but I think it would take a lot for Cersei to openly defy her father. She had a queer love/hate and respect/fear relationship with him.

I found it! Cersei made the proposal, but she wouldn't do something like that without Tywin giving her the go ahead.

"Exquiste, despite the stripes on her back. But the whore I referred to is your sister."

"has she seduced you yet?" Tyrion asked, unsurprised.

Oberyn layghed aloud. "No, but she will if I meet her price. The queen has even hinted at marriage."

That resentment came from Tommen standing up for himself.

Either way, i still think she would have chosen Tommen because he would be the key to power in a way Myrcella was not.

I go back and forth on who she would chose because supporting Myrcella doesn't mean she would control Myrcella.

I found it! Cersei made the proposal, but she wouldn't do something like that without Tywin giving her the go ahead.

"Exquiste, despite the stripes on her back. But the whore I referred to is your sister."

"has she seduced you yet?" Tyrion asked, unsurprised.

Oberyn layghed aloud. "No, but she will if I meet her price. The queen has even hinted at marriage."

Didn't Tywin also suggest marriage? He brings it up with Jaime and Jaime storms away in disgust after bringing up Oberyn's sexual proclivities.

Archived