Single lines that won or lost a character's favor for you

JaegrM

After we got Jaime's POV, I found him interesting, but I didn't decide I liked him until;

"He tried to count the pennies nailed to the old oak, but there were too many of them and he kept losing count. What's that all about? The Blackwood boy would tell him if he asked, but that would spoil the mystery"

Tyrion I found quite interesting, I wont say I LIKED him, but that's close enough to how I felt, Until;

“He pushed himself to his feet. “Don’t lie, Sansa. I am malformed, scarred, and small, but…” she could see him groping “…abed, when the candles are blown out, I am made no worse than other men. In the dark, I am the Knight of Flowers.” He took a draught of wine. “I am generous. Loyal to those who are loyal to me. I’ve proven I’m no craven. And I am cleverer than most, surely wits count for something. I can even be kind. Kindness is not a habit with us Lannisters, I fear, but I know I have some somewhere. I could be… I could be good to you.”

After that I couldn't do more than pity him, he just seemed needy and pitiful to me. It sounds like he's trying to convince himself more than Sansa that he's a decent guy.

Are there any single instances like the above that won or lost a character's favor for you? Or even just changed the way you viewed them despite everything else?

Jamie's line about wanting to be the sword of the morning but turning into the smiling knight instead. Don't have the quote.

Also Theon while talking to Barbrey Dustin, when he asks why she hates the starks so much, and she says "the same reason you do" and he responds "I wanted to be one".

Jamie's line about wanting to be the sword of the morning but turning into the smiling knight instead. Don't have the quote.

Also Theon while talking to Barbrey Dustin, when he asks why she hates the starks so much, and she says "the same reason you do" and he responds "I wanted to be one".

"That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but somewhere along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead."

Jaime Lannister is nothing if not quotable.

I also really liked that line from Theon. Good one.

"No m'lord, Bugger me with a bloody spear" - Shitmouth is a classy guy.

Seriously though, probably Edmure. When Cat asked him why the who all the smallfolk were and what they were doing inside the walls of Riverrun he replied with "My people. They were afraid." I loved him from that moment on.

Jaime's line about wanting to become Arthur Dayne but actually becoming the smiling knight runs a close second.

I don't think Tyrion's line sound needy. Surely he is needy sometimes. But with Sansa he was only trying to make things work. He didn't ask for her, it was a duty for him too. It's not his fault that she was so pretty and he so ugly.

He could have raped her if he wanted to without any consequence. It wouldn't even be considered rape by that society's standards. He didn't. That was a good moment for Tyrion, not a bad one.

Stannis.

If not for my hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the hourse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.

If that's too long, just take the bolded part of it.

After that line, my favorite to win the Iron Throne was clear.

I don't think Tyrion's line sound needy. Surely he is needy sometimes. But with Sansa he was only trying to make things work. He didn't ask for her, it was a duty for him too. It's not his fault that she was so pretty and he so ugly.

He could have raped her if he wanted to without any consequence. It wouldn't even be considered rape by that society's standards. He didn't. That was a good moment for Tyrion, not a bad one.

This is what I like about literature, aSoIaF especially.

There are so many lines that it relies on the individual reader to interpret as they will.

Yes, Tyrion COULD have raped her, BUT he wants to be seen as 'the good guy', he couldn't have his way with her and still convince himself he was a good guy.

It reeks of desperation.

Stannis.

If that's too long, just take the bolded part of it.

After that line, my favorite to win the Iron Throne was clear.

I like it.

Stannis was never liked by me until I began to frequent these boards, the line that eventually won me over was his conversation with Davos about how good deeds don't cancel out the bad, and he references knighting Davos and still taking his fingers.

"Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother" - before that, I hated Bolton, from then on, he was numbah one villain.

The lines from Dustin about how Roose plays with people is what really made me take notice of how awesome Bolton was.

When Jaime said "there are no men like me. There's only me" that kind of made me think there was more to him. And when he says "the boy that wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but somewhere along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead".

When Maester Aemon said to Jon about deciding whether to stay or to go and when he got the news of his family's death I felt so sorry for him and respected him even more.

When Stannis said "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne" and the quote about him offering men clear water to drink and men squinting at it and Robert offering them piss and them drinking it like it was water.

"A peaceful land, a quiet people" - Roose Bolton

"With your mouth. And be quick about it. If she’s not wet by the time I’m done disrobing, I will cut off that tongue of yours and nail it to the wall.” - Ramsay Bolton

Archived