Single lines that won or lost a character's favor for you

JaegrM

"So young", said Wyman Manderly, "though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived he would have grown up to be a Frey."

I thought Manderly was a fat lout southron pretending to be of the North, when i read this i realized it, he and his family remember the RW and will not soon forget. Wyman Manderly is truly of the North.

"Edd, fetch me a block,"

"Justice." Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered "Fire and blood."

"You will have a golden crown, that men will tremble to behold." (sorry, can't remember the exact quote and don't have the book to hand)

All good endings to great chapters, showed the steel in each of these characters

Basically all the "If only father could see me, he would know he has a true heir" bullshit in Cersei's POV. Before I despised her, after AFFC i hate her so passionately it's just ridiculous.

"Fetch me a block" certainly sealed the deal for Jon becoming a true LC in my eyes.

"I fear I was a better smuggler than a knight, a better knight than a hand, and a better hand than a husband". Oh Davos you are the best man in Westeros.

Dany finally lost all favor when she said that she would kill her bear Jorah Mormont if she ever saw him again.

It had been a long time coming with all her arrogant goddess complex throughout the previous two books despite making idiotic decision after idiotic decision but that sealed it. She's awful and even worse in the show, though at least she got naked.

Jorah Is lucky she didn't kill him when she first found out about him being a spy. At least she gave him and Barristan a chance by sending them into the sewers. A lot of rulers would have had them both killed immediately.

Some people are easily won, it seems.

It's clear that despite claiming to like the line: "The North remembers", many folks don't live up to it. Else a poignant line or two from Theon and Jaime won't make them forget so quickly what these villains have done to the North.

My favorite is from Ser Bartimus: "There's a lot you southrons don't know about the North." It creates so much depth and anticipation to the mystery of the North. And all in a single line from a throwaway character.

Another was the Blackfish"s verbal smackdown of Jaime on the drawbridge in front of Riverrun. Was wonderful to read.

"Have no fear, sers, your king is safe...no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts cheese. If you would serve under the Kingslayer, not a one of you is fit to wear the white." He flung his sword at the foot of the Iron Throne. "Here, boy. Melt it down and add it to the others, if you like. It will do you more good than the swords in the hands of these five. Perhaps Lord Stannis will chance to sit on it when he takes your throne."

-Barristan the BAMF

Roose Bolton's "remove those chains from him before you make me rue the day I raped your mother" cemented my love for him. There's also this one (the bolded part is the line but it's really only worth reading with the rest of the paragraph for context):

“Smitten?” Bolton laughed. “Did he use that word? Why, the boy has a singer’s soul ... though if you believe that song, you may well be dimmer than the first Reek....

“This miller’s marriage had been performed without my leave or knowledge. The man had cheated me. So I had him hanged, and claimed my rights beneath the tree where he was swaying. If truth be told, the wench was hardly worth the rope. The fox escaped as well, and on our way back to the Dreadfort my favorite courser came up lame, so all in all it was a dismal day.

The man is just so wonderfully calllous and evil I can't help but love him.

And then there's Stannis' Proudwing story :crying:

"Have no fear, sers, your king is safe...no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts cheese. If you would serve under the Kingslayer, not a one of you is fit to wear the white." He flung his sword at the foot of the Iron Throne. "Here, boy. Melt it down and add it to the others, if you like. It will do you more good than the swords in the hands of these five. Perhaps Lord Stannis will chance to sit on it when he takes your throne."

-Barristan the BAMF

Yeah and if someone would serve under Aerys, he's hardly fit to call himself a knight. But the quote is awesome, true enough. Barristan the only one with ballz in the court.

-Barristan the BAMF

That's a great one!

Lost me:

"Lannister or Stark, what difference? Viserys used to call them the Usurper's dogs. If a child is set upon by a pack of hounds, does it matter which one tears out his throat? All the dogs are just as guilty."

At this point, it became staggeringly obvious to me how ill-suited to rule Westeros Dany is. She knows her brother was a brute and a madman, yet she still swallows whole the version of Robert's Rebellion she was fed by him as a child. Despite Ser Barristan's gentle explanations that Ned Stark should by no means be lumped together with Tywin Lannister, she shows no interest in gaining a stronger understanding of her enemies or their reasons for rebelling against her father, instead choosing to cling to the simplistic fairy tale she was brought up on and should by now have outgrown.

I've zigzagged on Jaime as the story went on and now he's one of my favourites but earlier on he really lost me with that "there are no men like me" line, it just made him seem like a poserish twatbag, at least Darkstar's "I am of the night" had the saving grace of being a witty rejoinder to the preceding comment; likewise with Cersei's thing about coming into the world together therefore they have to die together.

Also, Daven Lannister's "I'll wed and bed my stoat, never fear. I know what happened to Robb Stark". Daven is great, I was like "I like this guy", then I was more " I miss Robb :bawl: "

ETA: Oh, and I was never keen on Tywin but that "there are some jobs fit for lions" thing when he's talking about the "foraging" done by Gregor et al which I think is actually reported second hand, seriously, the man labours the lion metaphor beyond my ability to bear it and this was the moment when I wanted to shake him and tell him to get his head out of his own arse

"Pick it up." -Young Griff

Lost me. Forget that little brat

Same here, he shows a lack of maturity in this

Dany:

Stark was a traitor who met a traitor's end.

Barristan reveals that Ned resigned the office of Hand, the second highest position in the realm, over Robert's decision to kill Dany. Also, that the sack of KL was Lannister work not Ned's. She doesn't see that as an insight into Ned's character, but says that the Starks are just as guilty by virtue of fighting on the same side as the Lannisters. She lost her favor from me.

Jorah Is lucky she didn't kill him when she first found out about him being a spy. At least she gave him and Barristan a chance by sending them into the sewers. A lot of rulers would have had them both killed immediately.

Jorah is lucky to be exiled by someone who never appreciated everything HE did for HER?

No, she was lucky to have him and giving him away was another stupid move in a long line of them from the silly brat.

Archived