Single lines that won or lost a character's favor for you

JaegrM

"Only Cat"

That line alone made Littlefinger one of my favorite characters. I actually root for him and hope Sansa actually falls for him, as evil as that sounds.

Littlefinger is actually one of the most interesting characters of the series, IMHO. "Only Cat" and Varys' "The gods alone know what game Littlefinger is playing(or basically like that)"

Lines for characters that I began to like:

Jaime: His speech in the bath at Harrenhal, "Put this in the fire," "You are speaking of a highborn lady, ser. Call her by her name. Call her Brienne,"

Wyman Manderly: "He would have grown to be a Frey," when he is talking about the Frey pie, "I know I shall."

Jon Snow: "First Lesson: Stick them with the pointy end," "Edd, fetch me a block"

Theon: (as close as I remember it) "You have to know your name"

Oberyn Martell: "As your champion," and one of the most powerful lines IMO, "Elia. You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children.Say her name." Honestly, Oberyn Martell is my favorite minor character.

Roose Bolton confuses me so. I don't know whether to hate him, or admire him. Either way, I was the most conflicted at "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." I have never been so confused

SInce the best ones (most of them Jaime's and Stannis) already have been posted I have to go with Ser Davos while in Manderlay's court when facing of with Ser Jared Frey.

"Jared of House Frey, I name you liar."

Gone is the mild Onion Knight who the highborn sneer about behind his back, this is the proud Hand of the King, despite the fact that he comes with the apperance of a beggar. I felt pride for him then.

Robb...

“. . . and dead. No one has seen or heard of Arya since they cut Father’s head off. Why do you lie to yourself? Arya’s gone, the same as Bran and Rickon, and they’ll kill Sansa too once the dwarf gets a child from her. Jon is the only brother that remains to me. Should I die without issue, I want him to succeed me as King in the North. I had hoped you would support my choice.”

“I cannot,” she said. “In all else, Robb. In everything. But not in this ... this folly. Do not ask it.

“I don’t have to. I’m the king.” Robb turned and walked off, Grey Wind bounding down from the tomb and loping after him.

Please be aware that I am paraphrasing, as I don't have the books onhand.

LINES THAT WON ME:

Robert Baratheon: "I'm trying to get you to run my kingdom while I eat, drink and whore my way to an early grave." and "Where it in silence, or I'll honor you again." Seriously guys, this man is amazing. By far one of the most entertaining characters in my opinion. I love the Starks, but I mourn more for jolly ol' King Robert. I see so much of myself in him.

Theon Greyjoy: "Robb perished at the Red Wedding. I should have been there with him. I should have died with him." I used to hate Theon, I mean HATE him. But his tragic story arc in Dance With Dragons softened me up and this line drew me to tears. I can relate to Theon more than any other character in the book, and his remorse for his crimes and his wish to have stayed true and fought beside his "brother" rather than against him just got me emotional. That rarely happens when I read books.

Davos Seaworth: "Jared of House Frey, I name you a liar." I have loved Davos from the start. A simple man, but an uncompromisingly honest one, and this declaration made me put the book down, stand up, and cheer. Me, literally cheering, for a goddamn fictional character. Davos has sometimes held his tongue in the past, but stepping up and calling bullshit on the Freys when he sees it makes him one of my favorite characters, even if his chapters are sometimes tedious to read (how many times will the poor bastard get captured and thrown in a dungeon, I ask you?).

Stannis Baratheon: "If all the lords of Westeros had but one neck..." and "I know what Robert would do. He would ride up to Winterfell alone, smash the gates down with his hammer and then charge in and slay Roose Bolton with his right hand and Ramsay with his left." Love him or hate him, Stannis's sarcastic grumbling is one of the high points of the story. He is as fed up with the game of thrones as the commoners are.

Ygritte: "You know nothing, Jon Snow." Not an exceptionally brilliant phrase, but it is an eternal truth that keeps floating around in my head whenever I read Jon's story in Book 5. I like Lord Snow, but he really is an idiot.

Roose Bolton: "Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother." Probably the biggest LOL I have gotten in the entire series.

LINES THAT LOST ME:

Danaerys: "I shall stay here and learn to be a queen." If I had only known then what I was in for when she made this declaration, I could have stopped placing my hopes and dreams on her a decade ago.

Tyrion/Jaime: "Wherever whores go..." and "she's been fucking Lancel and Kettleblack, and Moon Boy for all I know..." OK, I get that both of them have experienced some pretty traumatic stuff, but at what point does repeating a phrase become overkill? Apparently, a Lannister always remembers a hurtful confession.

And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter, but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done. My son is home.

Won Wyman Manderly for me.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act" I was probably already on the Jaime train by then but this may have sealed the deal.

Jaime and his speech about oathes. So much truth in it, made me really reevaluate his character.

Characters I liked more after certain words/actions:

Jon Umber called GREATJON - the King of the North speech and his heroic last stand at Walder Heffner's pad

Jeor Mormont called OLD BEAR - when he ordered up his cavalry in wedge formation and charged the Wights

Brynden Tully called THE BLACKFISH - his tete-a-tete with Jamie Lannister, hilarious

Tormund, Mead king of Ruddy Hall, called GIANTBANE, TALL-TALKER, HORN-BLOWER and BREAKER OF ICE, also THUNDERFIST, HUSBAND TO BEARS, SPEAKER TO GODS and FATHER OF HOSTS - when he's indignant not being refered to by his proper titles and proclaims that the hens come with him after leaving Mance's tent

Mormont's Raven - when I realized he was being warged and actually was telling us stuff rather than repeating words

Characters I disliked more after certain actions/ words:

Tyrion Lannister called THE IMP - "where do whores go?" Look dude I don't care ok don't repeat it a million times. In DwD Tyrion really does his best to be unlikable, and the way the author wrote his long POV chapters did nothing to improve that.

Darnerys Targaryan called STORMBORN - "I'm but a little girl ignorant to the ways of war." Then we watch her wreck havoc and death on some boring Essos city who names we can't pronounce or remember, all the while thinking "wait, this chick is the main protagonist destined for Westeros why are we reading about all this?"

The rest of the characters I have the same opinion (like, dislike or neutral) about after 5 books.

This is cheating, but I can't pick a single line that made me reevaluate Jaime. His entire dialogue with Catelyn in the Riverrun cell made me fascinated with the character, and although I still find him detestable in many ways, he remains one of my favorites to read about.

Archived