Single lines that won or lost a character's favor for you

JaegrM

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died". With this line Jorah proved he was not only the guy so in love with Dany that he was only able to agree with everything she said, but could also say some truths to her, even if she didn't want to hear it. Same when he confronted her with the fact that Viserys would never be king.

idk, one small moment of frustration in a teenager? seems natural enough. we saw it in characters like Jon for example Besides, Aegon is the only reason Tyrion is alive in the first place, when everyone else wanted to throw him back in the river for fear of greyscale it was him who saved him.

This.

tyrion broke marillion fingers and later threatend the slave girl at Illyrio just because he was fustrated. Not to mention we saw him slap people like Shae, Penny as well again just because he was fustrated.

Jon was wishing Benjen would die just because he didn't favourited him.

For some reason "the heroes" of the story can get away with a lot of shit, yet a character appears whos political alliences lies possibly opposite to them, he is obviosly a douche for a small moment like that, even if he saved the life of tyrion, after he already knew he was Tywins son.

I am not saying he won't be, but lets be clear, all of the main characters showed such pettyness a lot of them worse than the "pick it up" line was.

This is cheating, but I can't pick a single line that made me reevaluate Jaime. His entire dialogue with Catelyn in the Riverrun cell made me fascinated with the character, and although I still find him detestable in many ways, he remains one of my favorites to read about.

Welcome to the dark side. Embrace it. Love it. Love Jaime.

Robb...

The Others can take her, then,” Robb cursed, in a fury of despair. “Bloody Rickard Karstark as well. And Theon Greyjoy, Walder Frey, Tywin Lannister, and all the rest of them. Gods be good, why would any man ever want to be king? When everyone was shouting King in the North, King in the North, I told myself ... swore to myself ... that I would be a good king, as honorable as Father, strong, just, loyal to my friends and brave when I faced my enemies ... now I can’t even tell one from the other. How did it all get so confused? Lord Rickard’s fought at my side in half a dozen battles. His sons died for me in the Whispering

Wood. Tion Frey and Willem Lannister were my enemies. Yet now I have to kill my dead friends’ father for their sakes.

This.

tyrion broke marillion fingers and later threatend the slave girl at Illyrio just because he was fustrated. Not to mention we saw him slap people like Shae, Penny as well again just because he was fustrated.

Jon was wishing Benjen would die just because he didn't favourited him.

For some reason "the heroes" of the story can get away with a lot of shit, yet a character appears whos political alliences lies possibly opposite to them, he is obviosly a douche for a small moment like that, even if he saved the life of tyrion, after he already knew he was Tywins son.

I am not saying he won't be, but lets be clear, all of the main characters showed such pettyness a lot of them worse than the "pick it up" line was.

Arr.

Since im pretty sure it came after Tyrion's ogling of Septa Lemore,

"Pick it up." -Young Griff

made me go "You tell him, little guy! Dont let that imp boss your ass around. If you even knew what he was thinking about your septa...."

"I asked for you to leave. Will you make me call my gaolers and have you dragged away, you vile, scheming, evil bitch?”

She trashed Cersei in that entire conversation, but that part was lol-tastic. Definitely earned her some bonus points in my book.

Catelyn talking about the perils of facing the mountain clans in AGOT--

Even Jon Arryn, as great a lord as any the eyrie had ever known, had always traveled in strength when he crossed the mountains. Catelyn's only strength was one elderly knight armored in loyalty.

GREAT LINE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

All Edd, every Edd:

"I never win anything," Dolorous Edd complained. "The gods always smiled on Watt, though. When the wildlings knocked him off the Bridge of Skulls, somehow he landed in a nice deep pool of water. How lucky was that, missing all those rocks?" "Was it a long fall?" Grenn wanted to know. "Did landing in the pool of water save his life?" "No," said Dolorous Edd. "He was dead already, from that axe in his head. Still, it was pretty lucky, missing the rocks."

"We were talking about the prince," Sansa said, her voice soft as a kiss.

Sansa's first line in AGoT.

I have to suffer through her chapters until ASoS and AFfC, but then it is only interesting to read about LF. I think Sansa gets way to much credit for her part in ASoS and AFfC - her parts in AFfC are only interesting because we learn through her how LF plays the game. Sansa did not all of a sudden become a different person or a player in the game - she is just a conduit to tell LF's story since he is not a POV character, and that is a pretty awesome read. Sansa is still a lame little bird - only now LF tells her what to do instead of the Lannister family.

• 1 month later...

Dany in ADWD- When hearing about the history of Slaver's Bay- I am the calamity that will turn these slavers back into people. (I know that the Giscarie are not nice people, but to think that they are not people is just so arrogant and self riteous)

Archived