Single lines that won or lost a character's favor for you

JaegrM

Tyrion Lannister:

"Bronn, Timett, the next time Ser Boros opens his mouth, kill him" [...] "Now that was a threat, ser. See the difference?"

Bronn:

"Careful with those [...] You don't want to get blood all over those pretty white cloaks"

TV Show Theon (a line that mostly won him back to me):

*crying* "My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice and I chose wrong".

Did the opposite for me. Seemed more like the Blackfish being petty than saying anything substantial or important. Also, since it's basically impossible for Jaime to get hurt by an insult it ultimately accomplished nothing.

He actually went down in my book from that (well I'm also a little biased since I like Jaime so much)

I would think about giving the Blackfish a break on this. His brother had died recently , his niece and her son had just been brutally murdered by the same people who were besieging the castle , his nephew was being threatened to be hanged and his other niece has betrayed and abandoned House Tully and pretty much everybody else related to him was either dead, missing or in mortal danger so I think he had every reason to be a dick to Jaime. We as the reader know that Jaime was trying to be a good guy but the characters in the story have seen no reason to think that he was anything else but a horrible person.

Did the opposite for me. Seemed more like the Blackfish being petty than saying anything substantial or important. Also, since it's basically impossible for Jaime to get hurt by an insult it ultimately accomplished nothing.

He actually went down in my book from that (well I'm also a little biased since I like Jaime so much)

I disliked that scene because it showed backwards progression in Jamie. He was acting like an arrogant ass again. At one point he said that if he had a sword he would have drawn it.

"Pick it up." -Young Griff

Lost me. Forget that little brat.

Dany promising Missandei she'll take her back to Naathi someday...

Got me. Dany still wants to do good things. As long as she hangs onto that, she'll be ok.

I too believe in Dany. She doesn't deserve all this hate.

"Or maybe he'll give me your head." (or something like that)

All the hate I gathered up for Sansa throughout the book disappeared upon reading this one sentence.

That was when I started to see that Sansa was not the broken child I thought she was. I really hope she makes it to the end.

"I am a man," he said. "I am kind to my wife, but I have known other women. I have tried to be a father to my sons, to help them make a place in this world. Aye, I've broken laws, but I never felt evil until tonight. I would say my parts are mixed, m'lady. Good and bad."

"So young", said Wyman Manderly, "though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived he would have grown up to be a Frey."

agree with this.

"It should have been you" stayed with me a reallllyyyy long time. My opinions on Cat have changed a bit from my first read forever ago, but it definitely stands out.

"Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother" by Roose is another stand-out one. I couldn't believe I read that and it's still one of the most memorable quotes of the series to me and really solidified Roose as a villain. I didn't like him before, but that line was just woah...made me think, "this family is seriously fucked up."

Littlefinger to Sansa - "Nothing discourages unwanted questions as much as a flow of pious bleating." Confirmed that I really enjoyed reading chapters with LF in them.

I expect a lot more of that. He is a douchebag in the making.

idk, one small moment of frustration in a teenager? seems natural enough. we saw it in characters like Jon for example Besides, Aegon is the only reason Tyrion is alive in the first place, when everyone else wanted to throw him back in the river for fear of greyscale it was him who saved him.

Tyrion...

Tyrion’s finger clenched. The crossbow whanged just as Lord Tywin started to rise. The bolt slammed into him above the groin and he sat back down with a grunt. The quarrel had sunk deep, right to the fletching. Blood seeped out around the shaft, dripping down into his pubic hair and over his bare thighs. “You shot me,” he said incredulously, his eyes glassy with shock.

“You always were quick to grasp a situation, my lord,” Tyrion said. “That must be why you’re the Hand of the King.”

“You ... you are no ... no son of mine.”

“Now that’s where you’re wrong, Father. Why, I believe I’m you writ small. Do me a kindness now, and die quickly. I have a ship to catch.”

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosened in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.

Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold.

Archived