Single lines that won or lost a character's favor for you

JaegrM

"No m'lord, Bugger me with a bloody spear" - Shitmouth is a classy guy.

Jovial and pleasantly uncouth, Shitmouth is one of the best minor minor characters.

I can't stand Daenerys and all her "fire and blood", "blood of the dragon", "mother of dragons", etc, etc, etc crap.

I liked her when she was a scared girl and showed humility.

At least book Daenerys doesn't vomit all those terrible one-liners like HBO Daenerys.

Ah c'mon, be fair, when does Dany ever think that she is doing alright in Meereen? She knows her rule is shaky and chaos is always at hand in some way. I think she's one of the few rulers in the series that can look at their actions and think "well shit, I've fucked up." Robb did at one point, but way too late.

When Tyrion said: "she's been f**king Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know" and "Yes, I killed your vile son.". I still didn't forgive him.

Arya's: "You shouldn't have hit me with an axe. You should have saved my mother" when she left the dying Sandor.

I tried to post before, I can't find it so maybe it didn't go through? If this is a double post sorry!

I always kind of liked Renly until this:

"Renly thought she was absurd. A woman dressed in man's mail, pretending to be a knight."

"I asked him why he kept her close, if he thought her so grotesque. He said that all his other knights wanted things of him, castles or honors or riches, but all that Brienne wanted was to die for him.

Once I read that I just thought he was a jerk. (although he had enough sense to see that she was useful to him)

“You Westerosi are all the same. You sew some beast upon a scrap of silk, and suddenly you are all lions or dragons or eagles.
I can take you to a real lion, my little friend. The prince keeps a pride in his menagerie. Would you like to share a cage with them?”

Epic line

“Renly offered me a peach. At our parley. Mocked me, defied me, threatened me, and offered me a peach. I thought he was drawing a blade and went for mine own. Was that his purpose, to make me show fear? Or was it one of his pointless jests? When he spoke of how sweet the peach was, did his words have some hidden meaning?” [The king gave a shake of the head, like a dog shaking a rabbit to snap its neck.] “Only Renly could vex me with a piece of fruit. He brought his doom on himself with his treason, but I did love him, Davos. I know that now. I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach.”

That did it for me, And also i dont know if you count it but the speech stannis gave shireen in the latest episode of the season 5.

"Cersei: I shall wear this as a badge of honor.

Robert: Wear it in silence, or I’ll honor you again.”

Robert, your little piece of shit.

“Jaime: Are you calling me a coward?

Brynden: No. I am calling you a cripple."

hahahah Blackfish is just wonderful :bowdown:

Edmure Tully

This was my father's solar. He ruled the riverlands from here, wisely and well. The light was good there, and whenever he looked up from his work he could see the river. When his eyes were tired he would have Cat read to him...You will never know how sick it makes me to see you in this room, Kingslayer. You will never know how much I despise you.

Tyrion lost me when Tywin told him not to bring Shae to court and he did anyway. And again when he tells Sansa he wants her after complaining to Tywin shes just a child...

Jaime lost me when he snapped at Brienne for questioning his actions the day he gave her Oathkeeper. After living up to your dishonorable reputation for so many years, you dont gain trust upon immediately deciding you want to do good. She had every right to think he was up to no good. He cant help but mock and insult people but in the same moment its "Whaa-whaa why doesnt anyone trust me or listen to me?"

The funny thing about Jaimie is that some of his best lines are only in his head

"That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead."

"Make a habit of it, Lannister, and one day men might call you Goldenhand after all. Goldenhand the Just"

Jaimie "My father is dead as well"

Brynden "May the Father judge his justly"

Now , there's an awful prospect

One of my favorite lines is not a line from a character but instead about him.

Petry on Lyn Cordray

"Petyr said that Prince Lewyn had been sorely wounded at the time that the tide of battle swept him to his final dance with Lady Forlorn, but added."that's not a point you want to raise with Cordray, though . Those that do are soon given the chance to ask Martell himself the truth of it , down in the halls of hell"

Archived