Single lines that won or lost a character's favor for you

JaegrM

I know these aren't direct quotes, but I don't have my books on hand, so I am unable to supply the single lines. But, anyhoo:

When Val went on about Princess Shireen being unclean and that killing her would be a mercy, she (Val) totally lost my favour. I'd liked her before, but her lack of compassion (even though she is of the free folk) was just a bit too much.

Speaking of the North, I wasn't actually all that fond of Jon until he stood up for Sam Tarly. Before I'd found him to be too mopey and frankly a bit too dull to have any merit in my eyes. But when he stood up for 'Ser Piggy', I had to respect him for that, and then he slowly started to gain my favour.

Doran, from an annoyance to awesomeness "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood."

I didn't get Doran up until that point. I thought he was some failing old man who was a toady to the Lannisters for reasons I could not grasp.

Yet there it finally was, making the characater finally interesting.

"Not as your judge. As your champion.

Oberyn seemd kinda useless until this point.

Then you finally see what he was about.

"Pick it up." -Young Griff

Lost me. Forget that little brat.

Yeah, I am not sure this marks him as a villain, but you can definitely see he's a bit too cocky and arrogant, doesn't like being bested at anything.

"It should have been you" stayed with me a reallllyyyy long time. My opinions on Cat have changed a bit from my first read forever ago, but it definitely stands out.

Yeah, and in spite of all the sadness about her, all her other good qualities, this stands out as singularly vicious. (Later you find out her opinion of Jon Snow became the Blackfish's opinion as well.)

"You said the words!"

Gave me new respect for Sam when I was getting fed up with his pussy behavior.

"I am khaleesi , heir to the Seven Kingdoms, the blood of the dragon,” Dany reminded him. “It is not for you to tell me what I cannot do."

This bit from the first book began the decline of Danaerys and revealed her as quite delusional and vain. I grew less patient with her when she sent Ser Jorah away. The final straw came when she locked her dragons in the basement because she was too lazy to train them. I viewed this as similar to a neglectful parent, like Randyll Tarley or Robert Baratheon. If she's going to keep calling herself "mother" maybe she should act like it.

All her talk of fire and blood annoys me too, because she personally hasn't done anything. She's basically just fortunate enough to have three fire breathers.

All her talk of fire and blood annoys me too, because she personally hasn't done anything. She's basically just fortunate enough to have three fire breathers.

This line of thinking bothers me because everyone in the series who has been successful has something that makes them what they are or helps them to achieve their goals.

This line of thinking bothers me because everyone in the series who has been successful has something that makes them what they are or helps them to achieve their goals.

But Dany hasn't been successful and she has some of the set assets possible. At least I don't consider her successful. The rest of my post that you didn't quote explains my problems with her.

"Littlefinger is the second most devious man in the seven kingdoms." -Varys. A little arrogance and a lot of truth with that statement. I've been a big Varys fan ever since the conversation he had with Ned, realizing he's playing a bigger game than most.

• 1 year later...

Two lines by Theon or 'Reek' made me feel for the character. The first line made me feel pity towards him. "When you have known the kiss of a flaying knife, a laugh loses all its power to hurt you."

The second line made me realise that Theon had changed for the better. "Robb, who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him." I won't say whether betraying the Starks was a good idea or not, (family, however vaguely you knew them, was still family), but if Theon had stayed with Robb, many things might have gone differently.

I thought Arthur Dayne was overrated until I heard that story about fighting the Smiling Knight. The Smiling Knight says that he wants Arthur's sword and Dayne says:

"Then you shall have it, ser."

BAMF

I fell for Tyrion when he says "I'm game if she is" about getting it on with Catelyn in the Vale.

Won: "The yellow skull was melting too,and the kindliest old man that she had ever seen was smiling down at her. 'No one has ever tried to eat my worm before,' he said. 'Are you hungry, child?' Yes,she thought,but not for food." Even though I adored Arya before that she stole my heart with that one.

Lost: "There was a long silence. Then Lady Stoneheart spoke again. This time Brienne understood her words. There were only two. 'Hang them,' she croaked".

I was so excited for Catelyn coming back,this scene made me realize she wasn't the same person at all and completely killed my love for her when she decided to hang Pod. You can take Brienne and Hyle but Pod is too precious to die!

Won:

"And what lesson can we draw from Volantene history?"

"If you want to conquer the world, you best have dragons."

And then Prince Aegon spoke. "Then put your hopes on me," he said. "Daenerys is Prince Rhaegar's sister, but I am Rhaegar's son. I am the only dragon that you need."

"He did, actually," the prince said, "but I won't. Harry's an old maid, isn't he? You have the right of it, my lord. I want the attack to go ahead … with one change. I mean to lead it."

So I dont really like this character, but one of my absolute favorite lines is from Balon Greyjoy:

"No man has ever died from bending his knee. He who kneels may rise again, blade in hand. He who will not kneel stays dead, stiff legs and all."

I dont know why, I just love this quote. Pretty neutral on the character, though.

Archived