Do sacrifices work?

JaegrM

The reason I ask is because of Vic sacrificing that Maester.

I mean he got his wind and the ship got moving.

Moqorro told him that sacrificing The Maester would get them wind... and apparently it worked....

Or did Moqorro just see wind coming in his flames and manipulated the situation?

But There are also other examples of sacrifice accomplishing absolutely nothing.

On the other hand we know blood and magic have a nice synergy.

Mirri Maz Duur say yes, sometimes it works

That was more of a spell than a sacrifice imo.

I mean more like Mel's burnings, Damphair's offerings to the drowned god, and what Bran witnesses as the Weirwood.

Or, it was autumn and it`s windy season :). Anyone thought of that?

That's pretty much what I meant by Maqorro knowing the wind was coming anyway and just manipulated the situation to have the maester removed and flaunt his powers.

That's pretty much what I meant by Maqorro knowing the wind was coming anyway and just manipulated the situation to have the maester removed and flaunt his powers.

yes :)

almost like a rain dance.

if i dance long enough i can guarantee rain at some point, but was it because of my dance?

I just say I would be a bit more sceptical trusting any type of socerers. If you don`t understand something, stay out of it.

I just think that Mels and Moqorro see certain things in the flames and say that they need a sacrifice to R'hollor to make it work and make people think that R'hollor is all powerful. Moqorro seeing the winds in the flames and making Vic sacrifice the Maester and Mels seeing Balon's, Robb's and Joffrey's death in the flames and making Stannis believe kingsblood will kill them.

It depends. Sacrifices worked for Craster and it was practiced in the north for a time, but to what purpose we're not sure.

I forgot about Craster, but while I guess these are sacrifices, they could also be seen simply as bribes.

I mean the Others aren't gods to my knowledge, it seems more like what the free cities do with the Dothraki to me.

I forgot about Craster, but while I guess these are sacrifices, they could also be seen simply as bribes.

I mean the Others aren't gods to my knowledge, it seems more like what the free cities do with the Dothraki to me.

I don't think the Others are gods either, but Craster looks at them as such.

I don't think the Others are gods either, but Craster looks at them as such.

I know, I'm just saying, I don't think I see those offerings as the same kind of sacrifices people make to the weirwoods, the drowned god, or the lord of light.

Craster's sacrifices are more akin to how Dothraki are dealt with imo

I know, I'm just saying, I don't think I see those offerings as the same kind of sacrifices people make to the weirwoods, the drowned god, or the lord of light.

Craster's sacrifices are more akin to how Dothraki are dealt with imo

What is the difference? Craster is making an offering to supernatural entities he cannot hope to triumph over in order to gain their forbearance and perhaps even protection. It's the exact same situation. The only difference is that we see the Others in physical form come and take the sacrifices.

As for sacrifices working for the Red Priests: logically speaking there's no way to prove that they work but we can assume that they do. The placebo effect could be working on the Priests, they could be faking it or their calls would be answered without sacrifices. Such is the randomness of magic. However none of these are as convincing as the simple explanation.

The Leeches tell me YES.

The leeches were likely just Melisandre manipulating the situation to make herself appear more powerful than she really is. She may well have seen the death of the kings in the flames, but to say her leech sacrifice caused them is...unlikely.

Lets see; Dany produced three dragons with a blood sacrifice. So I would say they can work. Good amount of us think Stannis, will take Theon's head in the Godswoods at Winterfell, allowing the old gods to bring Jon back.

perhaps its my atheist side, but i think that it doesn't do much. you can definitely make a few cases for it, but the leeches were luck, i think, as well as the calling of the winds. but what do i know, i think GRRM will make it clear one way or the other

Archived