What is the Rhaegar Ruby Theory?

Can you really count Rheago? Little guy didnt even make it out the womb

He was still-born. It's quite a stretch to include him but it is a nice idea, I guess.

It's either that or the offspring of Jon and/or Dany is tPtwP.

ETA: I think what's important for this exercise is that Rhaego had a name. It's not really necessary to turn this into an "At what point does life begin?" debate.

Tywin when commenting on the design of the two Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail, said that he didnt want garnets he wanted rubies because garnets lack FIRE! Dragons are fire and Targaryans are Dragons so.....

Exactly. :)

ACoK, Daenerys IV (HotU):

Rubies = Rhaegar's blood. A person's family is often referred to as their "blood".

AFfC, Brienne VI:

If you recall the woods witch prophecy about the PtwP, she claimed it would come from the line of Aerys II and Rhaella. Well, it turns out that there have been six products of that union that are known in-story:

1. Rhaegar

2. Viserys

3. Daenerys

4. Rhaenys

5. Aegon

6. Rhaego

The seventh is Jon Snow.

So are these by age? What makes Jon Snowflake lucky 7?

ACoK, Daenerys IV (HotU):

Rubies = Rhaegar's blood. A person's family is often referred to as their "blood".

AFfC, Brienne VI:

If you recall the woods witch prophecy about the PtwP, she claimed it would come from the line of Aerys II and Rhaella. Well, it turns out that there have been six products of that union that are known in-story:

1. Rhaegar

2. Viserys

3. Daenerys

4. Rhaenys

5. Aegon

6. Rhaego

The seventh is Jon Snow.

Does Rhaego count? Why?

So are these by age? What makes Jon Snowflake lucky 7?

I listed the six known Targaryens by age. Jon Snow is not a known Targaryen. At least in-universe.

Does Rhaego count? Why?

This is also answered up thread. Basically, if Rhaego Stillborn doesn't count, then "We are all waiting for the seventh." means that a child of Jon and/or Dany is tPtwP.

Does Rhaego count? Why?

'cos it makes Jon Snow special, duh! Yeah I'm not a big fan of including Rhaego either. But supposedly he was born - exactly in what shape or condition is still unknown, and it's depending on whether the people around Dany at the time can be trusted (which is uncertain).

ETA:

If you don't like the theory, why post here? Valid criticism is one thing, your whining is another.

Because theories need to hold up to scrutiny and criticism, or they're not worth the bytes they're, ehm, filling up.

'cos it makes Jon Snow special, duh! Yeah I'm not a big fan of including Rhaego either. But supposedly he was born - exactly in what shape or condition is still unknown, and it's depending on whether the people around Dany at the time can be trusted (which is uncertain).

That is the essence of it I suppose. I just don't buy this theory, yet.:)

ETA:

Because theories need to hold up to scrutiny and criticism, or they're not worth the bytes they're, ehm, filling up.

Pro Tip: it helps if you read the post I was responding to.

That is the essence of it I suppose. I just don't buy this theory, yet. :)

No, it is not the essence of it. Honestly, the anti-Jon sentiment around here is getting ridiculous. I don't really care who ends up as what, I just try and follow the clues where they lead.

Like I said, if Rhaego Stillborn does not count, then expect that tPtwP is a child of Jon and/or Dany; i.e., from the line of Aerys and Rhaella. The rest of the explanation still applies. Given where we are in our story, I think it's more likely that Rhaego does count.

No, it is not the essence of it. Honestly, the anti-Jon sentiment around here is getting ridiculous. I don't really care who ends up as what, I just try and follow the clues where they lead.

Like I said, if Rhaego Stillborn does not count, then expect that tPtwP is a child of Jon and/or Dany; i.e., from the line of Aerys and Rhaella. The rest of the explanation still applies. Given where we are in our story, I think it's more likely that Rhaego does count.

I'll think on it more. It's the author's name day let's not fight. :)

I'll think on it more. It's the author's name day let's not fight. :)

Okay, but it would be awesome if people would quit making anti-intellectual arguments; e.g., this theory was created to serve the Jon is soopar speshul agenda.

I mean, honestly, we all think tPtwP is either Jon or Dany, right? Well, in this case the clues point to Jon.

Okay, but it would be awesome if people would quit making anti-intellectual arguments; e.g., this theory was created to serve the Jon is soopar speshul agenda.

I mean, honestly, we all think tPtwP is either Jon or Dany, right? Well, in this case the clues point to Jon.

I agree, but the thing is so many people think that Jon already is TPtwP, AAR, LC of NW, future KitN yada yada, and now the seventh Ruby. It's not like I feel that Jon is stealing Dany's thunder or something, just that one character in so many roles would make it too typical a fantasy. I don't want that.

In regards to this theory, Jon being the "lost ruby" does make sense, but not the "seventh ruby". That would either be Rhaego, or the issue of Jon or Dany. One can argue for the child of Dany and Aegon as well given he is the real deal.

I agree, but the thing is so many people think that Jon already is TPtwP, AAR, LC of NW, future KitN yada yada, and now the seventh Ruby. It's not like I feel that Jon is stealing Dany's thunder or something, just that one character in so many roles would make it too typical a fantasy. I don't want that.

In regards to this theory, Jon being the "lost ruby" does make sense, but not the "seventh ruby". That would either be Rhaego, or the issue of Jon or Dany. One can argue for the child of Dany and Aegon as well given he is the real deal.

The whole point of the Rhaegar Ruby Theory is that the "7th ruby" is the PtwP. There's no separate ruby title or ruby prophecy, but the rubies themselves seem to tell us the answer to the PtwP prophecy.

Whether YG or Aegon, that individual has already been accounted for in the first six rubies. You can't count him twice either, as Aegon Blackfyre would not be from the line of Aerys and Rhaella.

To add my two cents to J. Stargaryen and Lady Gwyn's thorough posts, here is a short summary of all the theory contributions and an expansion of the theory itself.

Those are both really good posts that help to flesh out the original explanation.

Surprise 3rd option tPtwP isnt anything but a prophecy. I will totally buy your theory when the Jon Snow reveal happens and immediately after someone finds the ruby

Archived