Most Intelligent Characters In ASOIAF

Most Intelligent, a tricky question Intelligent how? and How do you measure it? With in the scale of the books LF or Varys are clearly better high power political manipulators than Robb Stark but I doubt they could win his battles - which is better Battle Intelligence and loyalty development or Machiavellian political manipulation IQ points?

As Max Plank observed (in varying ways depending on the source) : that wrong ideas don't die out, their proponents do. The point being is that lot's smart people cling views even in the face of contradictory evidence.

Tywin looks clever indeed but his handling of his family/children has worked to undermine most of what he had achieved via his intelligence and plots and that raises the old comment by Solan that he would judge no man the happiest until he was dead because before that you never know the full course of his life and how he managed all his hopes expectations and dreams etc.

I would say of those not mentioned so far Arya - A little girl who remembered how to get out of the keep and survive on the street in flea bottom... Stannis so far looks pretty smart he trusts Davos and Jon so is still alive and kicking even after a defeat that should have seen him dead.

Technically Varys and LF are smart but I not sure their end games will play out as would like and we have yet to see how they live or die.

Of people not yet mentioned, I think that Arya is very bright. She is able to think quickly and is very adaptable. Also, Maester Luwin is intelligent, and I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet.

Tyrion is brilliant, but he knows it so I think that sometimes he overestimated himself.

Sam is very intelligent, but I know some people will argue that he is not. He manages to get Jon elected LC though, and he certainly has book knowledge.

Finally, I agree with some of the previous posts that Robb is intelligent. Robb manages to win every battle against seasoned veterans. I also think that Maester Aemon, QoT, Tywin, Jaime, Missandei, LF, and Varys are intelligent.

Any Maester obviously, but Pycelle, Luwin and Aemon get a special mention.

Samwell

Littlefinger

Varys

Doran

Tyrion

Cat

Missandei

Oberyn and Doran

Euron (How has no one mentionned him yet?)

Tywin

Olenna

Cat

Cat

Cat

Cat

Oh yea just to clarify this, the thread focuses on overall inteligence, dont focus on a character who only has certain aspects of inteligence. Gotta find the best rounded intelectual individual in the series.

Another honerable mention: Barristan the Bold

As in Catelyn??

Explain this to me please.

Cat is actually pretty damn smart when she isn't stricken by emotions.

She understands how to play the game, and actually points out every single one of Robb's mistakes, her thought process also show that she is quite clever.

She's simply a bit rash in her decisions and lets her emotions get the best of her.

She understands how to play the game, and actually points out every single one of Robb's mistakes, her thought process also show that she is quite clever.

She's simply a bit rash in her decisions and lets her emotions get the best of her.

Hit the nail on the head couldnt of said it better myself.

From the outside it is quite easy to point out Robb's mistakes,Some might even call it her job.

She understands how others play the game not how to play it herself.

She can't see her own mistakes even when it is pointed out to her.

She's smart yes but not in the leagues of people such as Varys or Tyrion,She's like the better version of Cersei in terms of intelligence.

Varys obviously he's been around what 25 years more? And still no one knows what he wants or up to. Arya sometimes I can't believe she was 9 in the beginning of GoT, and she has good instincts about people, one that stood out was roose, I was shouting for her to tell him who she was and get back home.

From the outside it is quite easy to point out Robb's mistakes,Some might even call it her job.

She understands how others play the game not how to play it herself.

She can't see her own mistakes even when it is pointed out to her.

She's smart yes but not in the leagues of people such as Varys or Tyrion,She's like the better version of Cersei in terms of intelligence.

Yes, and she does her job well.

As for her mistakes, like I said, her judgement is clouded by her emotions, that doesn't make her stupid, simply easily influenced.

I'd say she is the smartest of the Starks, but as you said, she is nowhere near LF or Varys.

There are quite a few but the ones that immediately come to mind: Catelyn Tully, Asha Greyjoy, Brynden Rivers, Aemon Targaryen, Varys, Olenna Redwyne, Petyr Baelish, Illyrio Mopatis, and Doran Martell.

As for her mistakes, like I said, her judgement is clouded by her emotions, that doesn't make her stupid, simply easily influenced.

I would say it amounts to the same thing - in the real world it equals stupid and than dead in GRRM's world. Its kind of like one of issues I always had with the GRE you cannot bank your time - no matter good you are one section you cannot use spare time in another. That's not how things work in real life. Cat's emotional outbursts lead her to really stupid decisions, Her mistrust of Theon might have been correct but given her unjustified mistrust and hatred for Jon Robb can hardly take her for a fair judge of character. Let's also recall she trusted LF based on a childhood relationship and never seems to think that whole Brandon humiliating him might not you know lead to some bitterness. She encourages the Choice of Bolton for detached command - hardly a good ideal in the long run. Emotion or not - there was absolutely no reason for her to go King's landing - any loyal retainer or two or three by different routes could have brought Ned the News (and is she was going to go knowing things look bad she should have brought more men she could have left behind).

Sad to say but Cat is one of my least favorite characters and comes across as poor combination of modern helicopter parent (after the fact with Bran) and annoying cliche emotional mother character and than just sort of stupid for trusting LF and than a pompous know it all who never believes she is making mistakes.

I think Tyrion's intelligence is overrated. He's very knowledgeable, quite witty (at first) and somewhat cunning, but that does not make him a genius. He's most definitely above average, perhaps significantly so, but not more than that.

I believe Missandei would qualify as the character with the greatest intellectual potential. If she continues to develop and is properly tutored, she could truly become a marvel.

Other than Missandei, Qyburn is the most intelligent character. His achievement in creating UnGregor is quite remarkable.

no order:

arya, surviving a war shows intelligence, learning languages, adapting to blindness, learning martial arts - all of these things show natural balance of physical and mental intelligence.

tywin, with his tragic flaw is being a father BUMMER duude.

LF, obviously.

Missandei.

I would like to argue for Jon Snow, his various mentors The Ned,1/2hand,The Mance, his knowledge of the North that he counsels Stannis with, military strategy, an open mind to the real threat and knowingly sending Sam to get maester'd, i believe ol Benjen comments that Jon misses nothing which is a sign of intelligence.

I believe Missandei would qualify as the character with the greatest intellectual potential. If she continues to develop and is properly tutored, she could truly become a marvel.

Other than Missandei, Qyburn is the most intelligent character. His achievement in creating UnGregor is quite remarkable.

Unfortunate for her that the tutoring is being done by Dany.

I would say it amounts to the same thing - in the real world it equals stupid and than dead in GRRM's world. Its kind of like one of issues I always had with the GRE you cannot bank your time - no matter good you are one section you cannot use spare time in another. That's not how things work in real life. Cat's emotional outbursts lead her to really stupid decisions, Her mistrust of Theon might have been correct but given her unjustified mistrust and hatred for Jon Robb can hardly take her for a fair judge of character. Let's also recall she trusted LF based on a childhood relationship and never seems to think that whole Brandon humiliating him might not you know lead to some bitterness. She encourages the Choice of Bolton for detached command - hardly a good ideal in the long run. Emotion or not - there was absolutely no reason for her to to King's landing - any loyal retainer or two or three by different routes could have brought Ned the News (and is she was going to go knowing things look bad she should have brought more men she could have left behind).

Sad to say but Cat is one of my least favorite characters and comes across as poor combination of modern helicopter parent (after the fact with Bran) and annoying cliche emotional mother character and than just sort of stupid for trusting LF.

Her disdain for Jon was absolutely justified. Jon may have been innocent, but he was a constant reminder of how her Lord husband dishonored her and then intimidated her (whether he wanted it or not) into not asking any more questions. Besides, in Westeros, bastards are known to be quite vicious, even the Maesters say so, criticizing Cat for that belief is rather silly.

She trusted Littlefinger, who was basically a brother to her, I would not hold that against her.

At that point, she also had no reason not to trust Bolton, that can't be attributed to stupidity either.

Being emotional and being stupid are two very different things.

Why people keep mentioning Illyrio? He is clearly muscle and money of the operation, not the brain. When Tyrion was with him he came with name "Yollo" which was very stupid cover and babbled out few things that made Tyrion very suspicious about Aegon.

Archived