Robert Baratheon As A Father

Nearly killing your son is good parenting? Joffrey came out even worse after that. Stannis at least keeps Patchface around for Shireen, and she turned out pretty much alright.

Joffrey may not be his biological son, but he was his psychological son. Compare how Joffrey came out and how Shireen came out, then tell me again who is the better father.

Near Killing? Cmon man. he gave him a good smack, so a couple baby teeth fell out, boo hoo. Poor Joff.

Near Killing? Cmon man. he gave him a good smack, so a couple baby teeth fell out, boo hoo.

Seriously? A fucking punch to the face that definitely affected the brain of a developing child? What the hell? Even Stannis thought it was a finisher.

He was the king, if he wanted a larger role in raising the kids, there is nothing she could do about it. Except maybe kill him earlier.

Actually, Robert was scared of Cersei and her threats. He wanted a larger role, but Cersei prevented him from doing so. Even if he is a king he's still a man who fears death.

Oh please. Boar hunting and disemboweling pregnant cats aren't even close to being the same thing.

This.

People hunt for sport all the time. It's not sick in anyway.

People who cut open a cat specifically because they want to see the insides however, are sick.

Seriously? A fucking punch to the face that definitely affected the brain of a developing child? What the hell?

Affected the brain of the sweet lil boy who just cut open a pregnant cat, yeah ok. Anyway I cant believe im defending Bob anyway, I don't even like him, The thing with the cat just disgusted me so much,

Actually, Robert was scared of Cersei and her threats. He wanted a larger role, but Cersei prevented him from doing so. Even if he is a king he's still a man who fears death.

Robert was the KING. If he wanted he could have put Cersei in check and striped Tywin of his power if he really wanted. The fact is, he didn't care about raising those kids. He only wanted to drink and whore,

Robert was the KING. If he wanted he could have put Cersei in check and striped Tywin of his power if he really wanted. The fact is, he didn't care about raising those kids. He only wanted to drink and whore,

Nope.

Robert states in AGOT that if he really wanted to, he would have joined a sellsword company in Essos. You know why he didn't? Because he was afraid of what would happen if Cersei and Joffrey were in power.

Robert only had the courage to repel Cersei and Joffrey for a few years, it was clear that Robert was more afraid of those two then Cersei was of Robert.

No. There are several methods of boar hunting. Robert's method is called "pig-sticking" and involves using a spear to stab the animal to death. The boar isn't disemboweled (gutted) until after death. Often a specialized spear is used. The boar spear has a cross-piece on it to prevent the enraged animal from attacking the spearman. I don't think Robert had such a spear.

Robert hunted the boar that killed him with a sword and spear no?

Well the only result was a couple of baby teeth coming out, so it probably looked worse than it was.

He didn't die, so of course it looked worse then it was. However, hitting your son so hard that he loses teeth is showing how hard it was. It didn't take much for Joffrey to die, and I realy don't understand why you are trying to downplay it as if it's natural and legitemate to hit your kid, let alone that hard that he is close to die.

Nope.

Robert states in AGOT that if he really wanted to, he would have joined a sellsword company in Essos. You know why he didn't? Because he was afraid of what would happen if Cersei and Joffrey were in power.

Robert only had the courage to repel Cersei and Joffrey for a few years, it was clear that Robert was more afraid of those two then Cersei was of Robert.

Why would he be afraid of her, if he could just have her killed for some random reason, Kings can do as they please.

Affected the brain of the sweet lil boy who just cut open a pregnant cat, yeah ok. Anyway I cant believe im defending Bob anyway, I don't even like him, The thing with the cat just disgusted me so much,

Your letting the animalistic side of your brain speak for you here.

Wait, so an adult deliberately searching out and gutting a boar is not as terrible as a child cutting open a cat?

A boar can be used for food and it's hide can be used for leather. An unborn kitten being dissected has absolutely no use for anyone except to fulfill the person's own sadistic urges. Boars can be dangerous, and they may needed to be hunted to prevent their numbers from increasing too much. Can't really say the same for cats in the Red Keep.

Unless of course, I haven't read the special edition of A Game of Thrones where it goes into great detail about how Robert delighted in cornering pregnant boars, disemboweling them while still alive, and ripping out the unborn children to examine them. My mistake.

Joffrey may not be his biological son, but he was his psychological son. Compare how Joffrey came out and how Shireen came out, then tell me again who is the better father.

Both Myrcella and Tommen seem like okay kids that are equal to Shireen.

He didn't die, so of course it looked worse then it was. However, hitting your son so hard that he loses teeth is showing how hard it was. It didn't take much for Joffrey to die, and I realy don't understand why you are trying to downplay it as if it's natural and legitemate to hit your kid, let alone that hard that he is close to die.

You are using todays standards of parenting, You have to consider the context of how people disciplined their kids in that sort of time and setting.

Oh, you're just trolling.

Should've recognized it with your earlier posts.

I'm definitely not trolling, I don't appreciate the accusation. Did kings in real life have there wives killed because they wanted them gone? Henry VIII?

Neither of those were coddled by Cersei though.

And they may have been ignored by Robert regardless.

That more in comparison to Stannis and Robert's parenting techniques of how both have perfectly nice children, while the post I was quoting arguing that Joffrey's presence shows Stannis's greater ability.

Archived