US Politics: The Art of Governing

Fragile Bird

I eagerly await the day when all these crypto segregationists finally die so the country could progress to a better place.

:rofl:

Who are you talking about exactly?

Progressives (different than "liberals") have some very paranoid fantasies going on in their heads - they see domestic enemies everywhere

Weren't you complaining about the republicans' nasty obstructionism at filling federal vacancies just a few days ago? I think it's rather obvious what grassley is trying to pull here with three open seats at the dc circuit waiting to be filled by obama.

OK, so it's 100% confirmed that you are a statist. "Obstructionism" is a great tell - anyone who uses that word doesn't value the Constitution, limited government, or checks and balances

Guest Raidne

OK, so it's 100% confirmed that you are a statist. "Obstructionism" is a great tell - anyone who uses that word doesn't value the Constitution, limited government, or checks and balances

Oh that's what tipped you off? I think for me it's really Lev's past support of mass warrantless government searches and extra-constitutional death by drone strike. It's sort of like Chicken Little ate Dick Cheney and started running around squawking about how the terrorists were going to shoot us all with AR-15s provided by the ACLU if we don't voluntarily line up for regular cavity searches every morning.

Guest Raidne

Weren't you complaining about the republicans' nasty obstructionism at filling federal vacancies just a few days ago?

Right, except I knew what I was talking about.

Oh that's what tipped you off? I think for me it's really Lev's past support of mass warrantless government searches and extra-constitutional death by drone strike. It's sort of like Chicken Little ate Dick Cheney and started running around squawking about how the terrorists were going to shoot us all with AR-15s provided by the ACLU if we don't voluntarily line up for regular cavity searches every morning.

:cheers:

I like you. Authoritarianism really grinds my gears

Listen ramsaygimp,

Do you have a problem with Obama making a bunch of recess appointments to fill federal vacancies which the republicans have been actively derailing?

Yes. I don't even believe most of these agencies should exist

Yes. I don't even believe most of these agencies should exist

:cheers:

Hahaha, what do you think about this then?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/87611-us-politics-even-slate-is-down-on-potus/page__st__360#entry4485459

I also think he should make a bunch of recess appointments every time Congress ends a session.

Well, Ramsay is presumably approaching it from a limited-govt point of view rather than a deficit reduction one like Perry (though Perry would surely like to be thought of in the former category). So there are likely many he could name, that's all fine.

Though I do wonder how life would change if we suddenly started cutting whole agencies. Unemployment would shoot up, at a minimum.

Guest Raidne

Lol, no not really.

Prove it.

I'm an ACLU-type liberal. You probably won't for very long. ;)

Guest Raidne

I think it's rather obvious what grassley is trying to pull here with three open seats at the dc circuit waiting to be filled by obama.

I'm sure you do. But is it different than what Congress was pulling when a seat was eliminated in 2009 and why or why not?

I'm sure you do. But is it different than what Congress was pulling when a seat was eliminated in 2009 and why or why not?

In what way was the court adjusted at that time?

Was it via legislation and did it happen immediately?

Also, the stated reason is that the DC court is not busy enough for that many justices, is that an accurate assessment?

I know you love to shit all over Lev, but in this case he's reading straight from the article written by Oregan Public Broadcasting, so I'm not sure why you think this is something that's just his issue.

Guest Raidne

The stated reason is that the DC court is not busy enough for that many justices, is that an accurate assessment?

The stated reason is that there are 52 other federal court vacancies, all of which have higher caseloads than the DC Circuit.

ETA: The REAL reason - and the reason Obama is trying to fill three more seats at once in the first place - is that the DC Circuit hears the country's most politically significant cases. Here is an article that compares the DC Circuit Court of Appeals with the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. They hear about the same number of cases, of about the same level of complexity - something like 1400-2000/year.

The stated reason is that there are 52 other federal court vacancies, all of which have higher caseloads than the DC Circuit.

That would imply you need to fill court vacancies then, not shift judges from the DC circuit.

It also doesn't address the other points I asked about or the article brings up.

Guest Raidne

That would imply you need to fill court vacancies then, not shift judges from the DC circuit.

The implication is that you need to fill other court vacancies first before filling all four at the DC Circuit, yes. One way to make that happen to rebalance the seats in accordance with the demand on the docket. The best argument against that is that the Federal Circuit has 12 sitting judges.

ETA: The REAL reason - and the reason Obama is trying to fill three more seats at once in the first place - is that the DC Circuit hears the country's most politically significant cases. Here is an article that compares the DC Circuit Court of Appeals with the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. They hear about the same number of cases, of about the same level of complexity - something like 1400-2000/year.

I have heard it said that the DC Circuit hears some of the most complex cases, which may justify the current staffing. Well, it would be current if the Republicans would let the Senate consider and confirm the nominees.

Archived