GRRM Confirms Red Viper, Mace and Magnar are being Cast.

Conchobar

I totally get that, even the USA has a massive range of accents despite being settled by the English a couple hundred years ago (so what you said about Australia not having the time to diverge isn't necessarily true). I just thought it was worth mentioning that there are countries without that diversity, so it wouldn't bother me if the Dornish had a similar accent to the rest of Westeros :)

True enough, but I'm not an expert on either colonisations. Did America have more nations colonising it? That would certainly explain it.

In any case, looking at Westeros it's best to look at Britain (massive history, several waves of invading cultures) and then times that diversity by like 20.

Yes America had French and Spanish areas too, but their diversity would come more from immigration

Australia does actually have some diverse accents though anyway. North Queenslad and country NSW can be very strong. An Adelaide accent is very weak, almost as close as I have heard to no accent at all in any country. So the point is well made, but this is fantasy

Yes America had French and Spanish areas too, but their diversity would come more from immigration

Australia does actually have some diverse accents though anyway. North Queenslad and country NSW can be very strong. An Adelaide accent is very weak, almost as close as I have heard to no accent at all in any country. So the point is well made, but this is fantasy

I've always found the differing Australian accents to be defined less by region and more by social class. You can have two people that live in the heart of Sydney with almost entirely different accents, for example, if one is a brick layer and the other is a lawyer. Though this is wildly off-topic.

I really hope they flesh out the Wildlings more next season. I had high hopes for them after Ciaran Hinds was cast, and he had a certain delightful-warmness to his portrayal of Mance, but lacked the appropriate amount of screentime to truly make his presence felt. Adding the Thenns is certainly a step in the right direction, because it shows not all Wildlings are well, wild.

I totally get that, even the USA has a massive range of accents despite being settled by the English a couple hundred years ago (so what you said about Australia not having the time to diverge isn't necessarily true). I just thought it was worth mentioning that there are countries without that diversity, so it wouldn't bother me if the Dornish had a similar accent to the rest of Westeros :)

I think the point, (off topic really as it doesn't matter for casting purposes) is that the USA doesn't have a massive diversity of accents at all. Is there a huge accent difference between SF and LA? Do different parts of Texas have dramatic differences? I don't think they do.

However in the UK where accents have developed through histories of invasion, migration and ISOLATION, you can travel 20 miles down a road and people talk very differently often using different vocab.

If westeros mimiced life the accents would be massively different, as would dialects, but this is fantasy. I don't think it matters at all.

I've always found the differing Australian accents to be defined less by region and more by social class. You can have two people that live in the heart of Sydney with almost entirely different accents, for example, if one is a brick layer and the other is a lawyer. Though this is wildly off-topic.

I really hope they flesh out the Wildlings more next season. I had high hopes for them after Ciaran Hinds was cast, and he had a certain delightful-warmness to his portrayal of Mance, but lacked the appropriate amount of screentime to truly make his presence felt. Adding the Thenns is certainly a step in the right direction, because it shows not all Wildlings are well, wild.

I agree with this. Hinds was really good as Mance for the short time we saw him and I kind of wished he had appeared in the finale to "light the biggest fire the North has ever seen."

When I read the books for the first time, I imagined Red Viper to look like Cliff Simon. I think he could nail the role.

Not so sure about Oded Fehr. In The Mummy & the sequels his acting didn't really impress me.

Whoever it'll be, he should be good enough to make a lasting expression to viewers. Someone to make him memorable for unsullied too. I'm totally ok with unknown actor if he fits the part and I wouldn't mind if Oberyn gets more scenes than in the books. :drool:

Last year Cas Anvar tweeted about having an audition for the show... When i saw him i thought whether we could get the Red Viper on season 3... Check him out,'cause he might get a call back ;) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0031679/

That's interesting. Whilst I personally root for James Purefoy for the role, I think Cas Anwar would also be a great fit.

When I read the books for the first time, I imagined Red Viper to look like Cliff Simon. I think he could nail the role.

Not so sure about Oded Fehr. In The Mummy & the sequels his acting didn't really impress me.

I would have agreed with you about Fehr, but I saw him in 'Sleeper cell', and yeah, he has the talent.

Cliff Simon was great as Baal in Stargate, but I prefer Fehr as the Red Viper. Simon would have been great as Littlefinger, and no doubt there are plenty of weasels he could play well. I'd love to see him in the show.

Archived