What Would Have Happened If....

He would marry someone else, and nothing would have changed. He would fell for Lyanna, and then all the conundrum would happen anyway.

Or would it?.....

Some say he was looking outside the marriage because Elia wasn't physically capable of surviving another pregnancy, and Rhaegar needed to fulfill his prophecy by having more kids.

I don't think that's his only reason for loving Lyanna, I'm just saying- he may have been less open to it if he had a wife who could give him more "heads" for his dragon.

Or would it?.....

Some say he was looking outside the marriage because Elia wasn't physically capable of surviving another pregnancy, and Rhaegar needed to fulfill his prophecy by having more kids.

I don't think that's his only reason for loving Lyanna, I'm just saying- he may have been less open to it if he had a wife who could give him more "heads" for his dragon.

But that doesn`t change the question. The question was if he never married Elia? That happened years before Harrenhall and RR. Aerys would find him another wife and most likely nothing would have changed. He would fell in Lyanna, and convinced himself that theor union is one of ice and fire, etc...

I also got the feeling that Rhaegar was pushed into his marriage by his father.

He was. Both of them, actually. As Barristan said, there were never love in that marriage, only respect.

But that doesn`t change the question. The question was if he never married Elia? That happened years before Harrenhall and RR. Aerys would find him another wife and most likely nothing would have changed. He would fell in Lyanna, and convinced himself that theor union is one of ice and fire, etc...

Thats what I'm saying though. He would have married someone else, perhaps someone who was more robustly healthy than Elia, and he may have never been tempted to go outside the marriage to have more children since his wife would be able to give him children.

He would have fallen in love with Lyanna regardless, but he was acting at least in part to fulfill a prophecy and needed more children to do so. If he already had the children he needed, he may have never acted on his feelings for Lyanna, which, IMO, are partly based on love and partly based on the fulfillment of a prophecy.

If Rhaegar had been allowed to choose his own bride, it would have been Lyanna. Then maybe there wouldn't have been a war.

:agree: I think Rhaegar would have waited until he found someone he could actually love and that would have been Lyanna and then he would have asked for her hand at Harrenhal.

If Rhaegar had been allowed to choose his own bride, it would have been Lyanna. Then maybe there wouldn't have been a war.

:agree: I think Rhaegar would have waited until he found someone he could actually love and that would have been Lyanna and then he would have asked for her hand at Harrenhal.

Lyanna was 13 at Tourney of Harrenhall, which probably means she would be 8,9 at the time of his marriage to Elia. I would be worried if he had chosen her. As for whether he would be allowed to wait, no. He is crowned Prince, heir to the Throne, he should have been married as soon as he was adult.

Except she was still betrothed to Robert iirc. If anything, that'd make the scandal worse. The ordeal at Harrenhal? He called her a hottie. Asking for her hand in marriage while she's betrothed to another? That's... I don't even know how to describe that in Westerosi eyes. :P

Thats what I'm saying though. He would have married someone else, perhaps someone who was more robustly healthy than Elia, and he may have never been tempted to go outside the marriage to have more children since his wife would be able to give him children.

He would have fallen in love with Lyanna regardless, but he was acting at least in part to fulfill a prophecy and needed more children to do so. If he already had the children he needed, he may have never acted on his feelings for Lyanna, which, IMO, are partly based on love and partly based on the fulfillment of a prophecy.

But what of he doesnt? What would happen if that wife gave him only one or just two children? What then? These are mere speculations and I think nothing would have changed.

Which would be unfortunate because she was then already betrothed to Robert, which means he would have to steal her away which may or may not have caused a bit of a rebellion.

Lyanna was 13 at Tourney of Harrenhall, which probably means she would be 8,9 at the time of his marriage to Elia. I would be worried if he had chosen her. As for whether he would be allowed to wait, no. He is crowned Prince, heir to the Throne, he should have been married as soon as he was adult.

If he was forced by his father to marry Elia and he never really loved her, he might have waited until he saw so one he actually loved, I'm wasn't saying he'd marry an 8 or 9 year old girl.

But what of he doesnt? What would happen if that wife gave him only one or just two children? What then? These are mere speculations and I think nothing would have changed.

Yeah, but the whole thread is based on speculation, so what I'm talking about is just one possible outcome that could have changed things. If his other wife didn't give him kids, then yeah, things would have gone the same way. Or not, depending how things worked out.

Archived