House Dayne in TWOW theories

King of Winters

I'd bet a significant amount of money on Darkstar becoming one of Aegon's Kingsguard, possibly with Dawn.

Like, that's one of the few theories I'm a 100% sure it's gonna happen

I really hope that doesn't happen in that way. Like I'm all for having Darkstar being one of the KG, that'd be cool. But if he ever gets his hands on Dawn, I hope it won't be for long since he is such a douschebag.

that theory is essentially a crackpot theory with no real proof though. It's nice to think about though.

I'd like GRRM to explain the features shared by the Daynes and Valyrains by the end, or maybe in 'TWOIAF' or 'Fire and Blood' after the main series.

I really hope that doesn't happen in that way. Like I'm all for having Darkstar being one of the KG, that'd be cool. But if he ever gets his hands on Dawn, I hope it won't be for long since he is such a douschebag.

I think when all's said and done Edric will end up with Dawn, but Darkstar will wield it for a while first.

My theory is that Varys promised him a spot on Aegon's KG and maybe even Dawn in return for getting rid of Myrcella

I think when all's said and done Edric will end up with Dawn, but Darkstar will wield it for a while first.

My theory is that Varys promised him a spot on Aegon's KG and maybe even Dawn in return for getting rid of Myrcella

Possibly. I mean we have that whole "Darkstar is the most dangerous man in Dorne" comment by Doran....so that has to mean something. However if Doran knows that, then that means he's known about Aegon the whole time.....

I'd like GRRM to explain the features shared by the Daynes and Valyrains by the end, or maybe in 'TWOIAF' or 'Fire and Blood' after the main series.

Same here. I would think that it might come out in the Fire and Blood book....but maybe after the series is done. I think the Daynes have something to do with AA.

• 2 months later...

Dawn is Lightbringer I've thought it when no one would even acknowledge it. Type in the word Dawn interesting definitions. Somebody had a theory forgot who that when Lyanna gave birth to JS or whoever Dawn activated. Thought that was how HR and Ned escaped Art. Also that bodies may have been charred and the TOJ blew up. Interesting if anything even if not true. Perhaps Jon being called to crypts because Dawn is buried in Lyanna's tomb. We have not heard definitively where the sword is have we. Why so many are thick headed and can't see Dawn is more than a unique sword is beyond me.

Dawn might have been the Lightbringer back in the day but the current Lightbringer is Jon+Drogon IMO.

I think Darkstar will steal Dawn and kill Obara with it. It is possible that he might want to join fAegon's KG or declare for him without being a KG.That might create future problems between fAegon and Arianne. The main branch Daynes will be pissed by him and they might join Dany in the future. Darkstar might be promised the Starfall.

Fire Eater has a theory that Cersei might hire Darkstar as maester at arms but that can only work if real Myrcella is not sent to KL or Arianne was lied about what happened to Myrcella (a lesser probability but not completely impossible). She does not remember anything about the incident. She didnot see it happening.

As for Edric: I think he is one of the victims of the removal of the 5-year-gap. I don't think he will do something important during the series.

Dawn might have been the Lightbringer back in the day but the current Lightbringer is Jon+Drogon IMO.

I think Darkstar will steal Dawn and kill Obara with it. It is possible that he might want to join fAegon's KG or declare for him without being a KG.That might create future problems between fAegon and Arianne. The main branch Daynes will be pissed by him and they might join Dany in the future. Darkstar might be promised the Starfall.

Fire Eater has a theory that Cersei might hire Darkstar as maester at arms but that can only work if real Myrcella is not sent to KL or Arianne was lied about what happened to Myrcella (a lesser probability but not completely impossible). She does not remember anything about the incident. She didnot see it happening.

As for Edric: I think he is one of the victims of the removal of the 5-year-gap. I don't think he will do something important during the series.

What are you on? Of course Edric Dayne will do something important, he's named after the Ned.

I think Dawn probably was Lightbringer during the Long Night, and its wielder was a Dayne... so they've been the protectors and carriers of the sword for generations (Day-ne, Dawn, Sword of Morning, Starfall, Hermitage is the real-life name of an asteroid; there's just too much pointing to them having been super important leadersin the past).

My guess, is that because of the celestial origins of its material, Dawn can be lit on fire to kill both Others ('cause it's super sharp and forged from a star) and wights ('cause it can carry a flame without getting wrecked like regular steel). That's why it is referred to by some as "Lightbringer" (which is sort of synonymous with "Dawn").

The thing is, Valyrian Steel - which wasn't invented until a few thousand years after the Long Night - can probably do both those things too. I think one of the characters said there are a couple hundred Valyrian Steel blades floating around Westeros, so really there are a few hundred weapons out there that can be used as "Lightbringers" by their carriers. This makes a lot of sense given Martin's "no single hero" mentality.

I do think we'll see Dawn resurface, though. If this is an "it's all more or less happened before" type scenario, then I think a Dayne will do something pretty important.

Archived