How would Tywin have explained himself if the Targaryens had won during the rebellion?

Yeah, if Rhaegar had won at the Trident then the Lannister army would've probably joined in on hunting down the remaining rebel forces. Hell, he may have pulled a reverse of what he pulled in King's Landing, sacked Winterfell, and Gregor Clegane would've raped and murdered Catelyn as well as baby Robb.

Would his actions have meant the end of the Lannisters?

I doubt it. Per Jaime's recollection in Book 3, Rhaegar was the one who had to convince Aerys to even ask for Tywin's help, and that came only after the Battle of the Bells. If royalists win, I'm assuming this means that Rhaegar survives the Battle of the Trident, in which case I doubt he's going to exact retribution for Tywin's lack of involvement, seeing as how he'd be far more preoccupied with healing more serious breaches with the Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, and Arryns.

But surely he was not involved anywhere near enough that his position should have merited anyway. So if the Targs had won...

He would be waaaay down on the Targaryen`s shitlist, below the Starks, Baratheons, Arryns, Tullys and all the minor houses that fought for them. I doubt that it would have been the end of the Lannisters

If the Targs had won,Tywin would have wrapped Robb in a red cloak and presented him to Aerys.

Why though? Robb was the heir to WInterfell? It's not the same as killing the King's heir. I understand people saying this to show that it would be the opposite of what happened to the Targaryens but it's not really the same situation on both sides.

I doubt it. Per Jaime's recollection in Book 3, Rhaegar was the one who had to convince Aerys to even ask for Tywin's help, and that came only after the Battle of the Bells. If royalists win, I'm assuming this means that Rhaegar survives the Battle of the Trident, in which case I doubt he's going to exact retribution for Tywin's lack of involvement, seeing as how he'd be far more preoccupied with healing more serious breaches with the Starks, Baratheons, Tullys, and Arryns.

I think the most important point here is that IF Rhaegar takes the throne from Aerys, since the Mad King probably would have seen Tywin as an enemy and told the battered royalist forces returning from the Battle of the Trident to attack Tywin's men. Granted almost everyone agrees that booting Aerys off was what Rhaegar meant to do.

Why though? Robb was the heir to WInterfell? It's not the same as killing the King's heir. I understand people saying this to show that it would be the opposite of what happened to the Targaryens but it's not really the same situation on both sides.

Because this time Aerys would demand it.You don't want a son trying to avenge his father now do you??

It would also prove loyalty beyond doubt by removing even future threats.

He did nothing when the rebellion was taking place. Aerys didn't want to summon the Lannisters, so Tywin stayed and waited in Casterly Rock

When the war was already won by Bob,Tywin joined in and sacked KL and killed the Targs he could get his hands on

So no, if the Targs had won, Tywin wouldn't need to explain anything because he was not involved in either side.

The whole point of Tywin was to make sure the Lannisters make through the war. That's why he waited to side with either party until it was clear who would win.

But let's say he didn't wait, or he got false news or anything and joined the rebels and...

a) sacked King's Landing

- THAT would have meant A Lannisters of Casterly Rock song, because Rhaegar would have burnt every Lannister he could get his hands on, for his father and children and wife.

B) didn't sack King's Landing

- Rhaegar would not have taken him into his trust, be wouldn't have made an enemy of him either - a nice three steps distance relationship which would have lived up until the moment Elia died and Rhaegar refused Cersei again. That would have meant another grudge for Tywin to keep.

Whatever, it's really pointless to muse about this, because stupid Robert won at stupid Trident... :(

Because this time Aerys would demand it.You don't want a son trying to avenge his father now do you??

It would also prove loyalty beyond doubt by removing even future threats.

I understand that but the importance of removing an heir to Winterfell isn't nearly as important as removing an heir to the Throne. Also, no one was going to let Tywin into Winterfell (although I don't know how many people were left to defend it).

I understand that but the importance of removing an heir to Winterfell isn't nearly as important as removing an heir to the Throne. Also, no one was going to let Tywin into Winterfell (although I don't know how many people were left to defend it).

The Rebels losing is tantamount to all their forts and castles also falling....

But coming to think of it,He might have been involved in a coup with Rahegar even if the Targs had won.

Not at all. Aerys was a psychotic. Presenting him with the dead baby of one of the rebel leaders would've made him extremely happy. Particularly since he'd already done the same by demanding the head of Ned Stark. He wanted the heir to Winterfell dead after killing his father, who he considered a traitor. So why wouldn't he want the next heir to Winterfell dead, after his father likewise proved to be a traitor?

I just think that as Aerys was already fairly sour towards Tywin at the time and becoming increasingly paranoid. Tywin's role is very understated in the war so if the Targs had won then even if he joins at the last minute and kills baby Robb etc it won't be enough. It had to play out as it did for the Lannisters to remain influencial. Tywin gambled quite a bit.

I just think that as Aerys was already fairly sour towards Tywin at the time and becoming increasingly paranoid. Tywin's role is very understated in the war so if the Targs had won then even if he joins at the last minute and kills baby Robb etc it won't be enough. It had to play out as it did for the Lannisters to remain influencial. Tywin gambled quite a bit.

I don't see why Tywin would have a reason to kill baby Robb in the Targaryens won. Tywin did not kill Rhaenys and Aegon because he was bored, or because he wanted to make a gift of them to Robert or Eddard. He killed them, because that was the only way to secure Robert's place on the Throne.

But Eddard Stark's heir was never an obstacle to the Targaryens to succeed on the Iron Thrones, so that would have been absolutely useless and pointless bloodshed, which is not Tywin's style or interest.

Archived