How would Tywin have explained himself if the Targaryens had won during the rebellion?

Instead of KL, RR would be his target. I've always strongly suspected that the reason why the Rebellion, once Robert joined them, didn't march on KL was that they didnt knew which side would Tywin be, and he could easily flanked them.

Tywin wouldn't do anything if rhaegar won hell if he did bring dead rebels to aerys, aerys would have just said rhaegar already beat robert and you just came back to get on my good side i didn't need you tywin. So he would do nothing until rhaegar got aerys out of power.

Yeah, if Rhaegar had won at the Trident then the Lannister army would've probably joined in on hunting down the remaining rebel forces. Hell, he may have pulled a reverse of what he pulled in King's Landing, sacked Winterfell, and Gregor Clegane would've raped and murdered Catelyn as well as baby Robb.

If the Targs had won,Tywin would have wrapped Robb in a red cloak and presented him to Aerys.

No, he wouldn't. As has been mentioned time and again the situation is so different that it would have harmed Tywin more than served him. Also remember that after the Trident it wouldn't have been a maniac Aerys or a Robert screaming for blood, but chilvaric Rhaegar who Tywin would want to get in good with. Tywin knew exactly what Robert wanted and after twenty years in King's Landing I would bet that he knew what would have made a good or bad impression on Rhaegar. Also as anyone can see after the Trident the boll would be with Rhaegar, Rhaegar who won the victory and who would've been the great hero of the loyalist side and on that wave, along with his previous evident popularity I bet that Rhaegar would have been able to pretty much just sail up to the Red Keep and take control from his father.

Was the rebellion ever even close though? By my understanding it was really just Dorne/Highgarden/KL against the rest of the kingdom.

Yes without Robert's inspirational leadership, command and fighting skill it probably would have failed. Even at the battle of the Trident Rhaegar was still confident of winning and probably could have.

The whole point of Tywin was to make sure the Lannisters make through the war. That's why he waited to side with either party until it was clear who would win.

Tywin couldn't join the Rebellion in any case, because Aerys would have killed Jaime if he did. Really, folks, you shouldn't listen to Joff, of all people!

Also, it seems that Rhaear understood his grievances, respected his abilities and wanted to work with him. If Rhaegar had won, he'd have called the Great Council, removed Aerys from power and named Tywin Hand again. Probably married Cersei to Viserys, too and found a way to free Jaime from KG. And I dare say that Tywin would have been helpful and loyal to Rhaegar.

Yes without Robert's inspirational leadership, command and fighting skill it probably would have failed. Even at the battle of the Trident Rhaegar was still confident of winning and probably could have.

Well, I think that the way that the Targaryens handled the war kind of left them in a pitch. Many of their biggest names where no present during the final battle and that probably hurt. Rhaegar would've done much better with the while Kingsguard (or at least Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower) along with Jon Connington present to give support as these guys had more experience than Rhaegar in military matters. Hell, Jon Connington had himself traded blows with Robert and so would have been able to give some good advice in that regard. And if I recall Rhaegar used a pretty bad plan for the battle so that department could also have been improved alot. And that's no even counting pushing Tywin away some time before the rebellion.

Was the rebellion ever even close though? By my understanding it was really just Dorne/Highgarden/KL against the rest of the kingdom.

It's more complicated than that. First for all for all we know, the Ironborn did nothing. The Lannisters were neutral until the very end, the Tyrells weren't at the Trident because they were sieging Storm's End, but did fight some battles. Not to mention that in the Riverlands, Stormlands and the Vale there were lords loyal to the Targaryens, which is why the rebelling lords had to put them down first.

Well, I think that the way that the Targaryens handled the war kind of left them in a pitch. Many of their biggest names where no present during the final battle and that probably hurt. Rhaegar would've done much better with the while Kingsguard (or at least Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower) along with Jon Connington present to give support as these guys had more experience than Rhaegar in military matters. Hell, Jon Connington had himself traded blows with Robert and so would have been able to give some good advice in that regard. And if I recall Rhaegar used a pretty bad plan for the battle so that department could also have been improved alot. And that's no even counting pushing Tywin away some time before the rebellion.

I agree Aerys was in charge of squashing the rebellion and he did a bad job. If he had asked Tywin back earlier I cannot see Robert winning. Even on the Trident the moral advantage of Dayne and Hightower fighting for the loyalist would be a huge advantage, ignoring their fighting skill and military knowledge.

It's more complicated than that. First for all for all we know, the Ironborn did nothing. The Lannisters were neutral until the very end, the Tyrells weren't at the Trident because they were sieging Storm's End, but did fight some battles. Not to mention that in the Riverlands, Stormlands and the Vale there were lords loyal to the Targaryens, which is why the rebelling lords had to put them down first.

That's true. I did read somewhere that some lords in Riverlands stayed with the Targaryens.

Ok well I guess it's not as clear cut as I thought it was.

Tywin couldn't join the Rebellion in any case, because Aerys would have killed Jaime if he did. Really, folks, you shouldn't listen to Joff, of all people!

Also, it seems that Rhaear understood his grievances, respected his abilities and wanted to work with him. If Rhaegar had won, he'd have called the Great Council, removed Aerys from power and named Tywin Hand again. Probably married Cersei to Viserys, too and found a way to free Jaime from KG. And I dare say that Tywin would have been helpful and loyal to Rhaegar.

That is the impression GRRM gave in the books.

Now, if Rheaghar had been victorious this takes us in an even more interesting direction, who amongst the KG, (and let's remember that group of KG are peerless pretty much),would have allowed Aerys to be stood down by his son?

I think the three at the TOJ were already in on the plot.

Lewyn Martell would probably join in as well considering Elia his niece and he had a liberal view on his vows. Jaime definitely too.

and if it came to it,Arthur could have taken care of Barristan.

It was peerless plan,apart from the small glitch called a Warhammer to the chest.

Archived