This is a good book people!

The Crow

The more i read on the more i am suprised by just how amazing this book is.

it seems that i wen't into this book with the lowest expectations possible, i assumed that i would utterly despise this book and try to rush through it as soon as possible.

But no! this is a great book, and i dont think it deserves all the hate it has recieved, although i understand the frustration of long time fans who had to wait five years for the next installment, only for that book to not include their three favorite characters, but for new fans who did not have to wait, i think this book is a masterpeice.

Even the Brienne chapters, which i had heard were SOOO boring, are actually my favorite chapters so far! (Along with Jaime)

i just think this book is FAR better than people make it out to be.

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Yea, I just started my first re-read of AFoC, and I'm finding the Brienne and Dorne stuff quite engaging. This definitely wasn't the case during the first read-through though; I think it's partly cause the first time around, I was just super keen to find out Arya's fate, that I basically just skimmed through the other chapters.

Although I still find the Iron islands stuff super boring.

Yea, I just started my first re-read of AFoC, and I'm finding the Brienne and Dorne stuff quite engaging. This definitely wasn't the case during the first read-through though; I think it's partly cause the first time around, I was just super keen to find out Arya's fate, that I basically just skimmed through the other chapters.

Although I still find the Iron islands stuff super boring.

Exactly! I found the same thing. During my first reading of the book I had a bad case of "What happens next" fever, very anxious to find out what happened to my favourite characters, and it was very frustrating that the first 3 POVs were by characters we'd never even heard of before (Pate, Aeron Damphair, and Areo Hota respectively) in unfamiliar (with the exception of the Iron Islands never even visited before) locations. I wouldn't have minded if there had been a couple of more Dorne chapters if it had gotten rid of some of the Ironborn stuff, but I suppose there has to be some plausible way to deliver a fleet into Dany's hands if she's ever going to get to Westeros.

"A Storm of Swords" ends with Tyrion being shipped overseas by Varys after killing Tywin, so it's nearly unforgivable that there isn't a single word about their fates in "A Feast for Crows." Instead we get all this tripe about the Ironborn, who are my least favourite people in the book - illiterate, uncultured savages even for medieval times. I just want to drown them all.

~~~~~~

Arithmetically:

The worst of it is that the new POVs and settings are most prominent in the beginning of the book. The Ironborn have 4 of the first 20 chapters, equal to Cersei (who is at least a major character) and Brienne (who wasn't previously a major but she is now.) Jaime gets 2, Sam gets 2, there are 2 Dornish chapters. Arya and Sansa only get one each.

It gets a bit better in the final 25 chapters, but Arya and Sansa still end up with only 3 chapters each overall.

It's really Cersei's book, with her descent into something close to madness taking 10 chapters overall. After her come Brienne with 8, Jaime with 7 and Sam with 5, so those four characters end up with 2/3 of the book overall.

It's really Cersei's book, with her descent into something close to madness taking 10 chapters overall.

This is one main reason why I like this book. Yeah, other POV chapters are great for helping you to fall sleep quickly but Cersei's chapters will surely give you a good chuckle. She has great quotes, too.

AFFC gets a bad rap because of the long wait for its publication and then the utter disappointment of not involing half of the characters we had grown accustomed to reading about. That and everyone with a lick of sense hates the Greyjoy's :ack:

Exactly! I found the same thing. During my first reading of the book I had a bad case of "What happens next" fever, very anxious to find out what happened to my favourite characters, and it was very frustrating that the first 3 POVs were by characters we'd never even heard of before (Pate, Aeron Damphair, and Areo Hota respectively)

We knew Aeron Greyjoy before this book.

now that, sir; is not true...the prequels are terrible

Meh. As a self-contained trilogy it would be all right I think. It's just the prequel status that makes it so terrible.

AFFC is still my second favorite after ASOS. Although almost a tie with Clash. ADWD makes me want to ... do something else (except for the epilogue that's brilliant). GOT is out of the running for me, because I saw the first season of the show first.

I really disliked this book on first read, thought it was the worst of the books.

On re-read was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it. I love Cersei's chapters especially. Now I think Clash of Kings is the weakest book in the series thus far.

Yeah Dorne was definitely the most interesting part about the book. It was a place that we haven't been other than a dream sequence with Ned and that was an isolated place. This gave us a little bit of landscape and understanding of what the environment and people are like... Unforgiving.

I love all the books, I did think the epic turns from a storm of swords was amazing. ...then jumping into A Feast For Crows was a change of pace that took me a few chapters to embrace til the later parts.

Archived