Baratheon sigil - crowned Stag in The Hedgeknight

Inquisitor Glokta

So i finally got the Dunk&Egg books and in the Hedgeknight i came a cross something rather odd.

The crowned stag was for Ser Lyonel Baratheon, the Laughing Storm.

The tale starts around 208AL, so waaaaaaayyyy before RR. How come the Baratheon sigil is a crowned stag, i thought it became a 'crowned' stag only after the rebellion. Oo

They were kings of the Stormlands before they bent the knee to Aegon.

No they weren't? The Baratheon's are only related to the Stormkings through the female line and just took the banner and everything. I think since the Targaryen's practically made them, they would not put a crown on their sigil Oo

No they weren't? The Baratheon's are only related to the Stormkings through the female line and just took the banner and everything. I think since the Targaryen's practically made them, they would not put a crown on their sigil Oo

House baratheon was indeed formed by Aegons bastard half brother Orys or Ores Baratheon. He kept the sigil and the house words exactly the same to make the shift easier. The only thing he changed was the name from Durrendon to Baratheon.

House baratheon was indeed formed by Aegons bastard half brother Orys or Ores Baratheon. He kept the sigil and the house words exactly the same to make the shift easier. The only thing he changed was the name from Durrendon to Baratheon.

Orys was just rumored bastard brother. There is no definite proof he was Targaryen.

As for crowned stag, it was sigil before RR. Even Ned said that in one of conversations about Sack of KL, like banners displayed lion not crowned stag.

Wrong. The Baratheons were most definitely kings of the Stormlands.Your confusing the female line connection with the Targs.

The Baratheons were never Kings (until RR), as far as I know they married into the Durrendons, who were the Storm Kings prior to Aegon's conquest.

Orys Baratheon took the sigil of the Durrendons (the crowned stag, supposedly), in effect usurping their house.

Ahh i believe i remeber where i got the idea, didn't show!Bran mention that Robert his sigil to a crowned stag in season1?

Just found it:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4KT9ZbnYd-8

4:15-4:23

Bran: "House Baratheon. Sigil a stag, a crowned stag now that Robert's king"

I hate it when such tiny (wrong) details from the show pop into my head while reading the books -.-

*edit: It also made alot of sense to me, since Orys Baratheon was a good friend to Aegon and Aegon being the only one wearing a crown after his conquest.

Ahh i believe i remeber where i got the idea, didn't show!Bran mention that Robert his sigil to a crowned stag in season1?

Just found it:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4KT9ZbnYd-8

4:15-4:23

Bran: "House Baratheon. Sigil a stag, a crowned stag now that Robert's king"

I hate it when such tiny (wrong) details from the show pop into my head while reading the books -.-

*edit: It also made alot of sense to me, since Orys Baratheon was a good friend to Aegon and Aegon being the only one wearing a crown after his conquest.

Oh I agree that it's very strange for a vassal house to feature a crown so prominently in the sigil, but apparently that's how highly honoured they were - and how sure the Targs were of their utter loyalty - seemingly with good reason until the Mad King went all batshit, too.

@nyos

My mistake, its hard to keep track sometimes. I thought the Baratheons were kings, but apparently I was not remembering correctly.

happens to all of us, Martin has built a wonderfully detailed, intricate world :)

Wrong. The Durrendons were the Storm Kings. Orys Baratheon adopted their sigil and words after he married Argella Durrendon when he killed Argilac, the last storm king.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't even remember the Durrendon part.

House Durrandon were the Storm Kings from the time of Durran Godsgrief. Their sigil was the crowned stag and when Orys defeated the last Storm King and married his daughter, Argella, he kept the sigil as it was to ease the transition. After all they had been kings longer than the Starks, if you believe Brandon the builder helped Durran build Storms End. They followed a terrible King into battle against a dragon, so the Stormlands must have been pretty loyal.

Orys was just rumored bastard brother. There is no definite proof he was Targaryen.

As for crowned stag, it was sigil before RR. Even Ned said that in one of conversations about Sack of KL, like banners displayed lion not crowned stag.

There is no definite proof that any Lord is the father of his son without DNA evidence. There is no definite proof that Robert Arryn is the son of Jon Arryn. You can get crazy theories like Cat and Edmure having an affair, because we don't have DNA evidence.

As it stands Orys grew up in Dragonstone, was extremely close to the Targaryen family, apart from the sisters he was the only other person involved in ruling the kingdom and there were these rumours going on around the time. Now you provide any shred of evidence that the the rumour was not true?

Archived