For those who started reading asoiaf young: what did people say about it?

LadOfPoisonWater

I started reading asoiaf when I was 12. Here's what some people said to me.

My school's librarian: "Your parents lets you read it?'

My classmate: "My mother couldn't get past the first 100 pages because it grossed her out too much."

My orthodontist: "How old are you?"

My dentist: "So do I. What book are you on?"

Another classmate (after letting her read a page about the battle of Blackwater): "Who writes about naked men falling from the sky?"

Realistically, GRRM's writing itself isn't too complicated. If you can read on a middle or highschool level, you can read ASOIAF.

Now whether you can keep track of all the various plots and characters, understand GRRM's sublties and propheices, etc. that's a different story.

I didn't really start reading much until highschool personally though.

At this point, anyone(at least in the Boston area) who doesn't know what "Game of Thrones" is(I.E. a HBO TV show full of sex and a shit ton of characters, based off a modern fantasy literature series) is living under a rock.

Between GoT references on popular shows(from The Daily Show/Colbert Report, to occasional discussion on the news about how Arya is super popular babygirl name now, to shows like 30 Rock or The Simpsons or South Park making references, etc.), giant posters advertising the show throughout the city, advertisements online and on TV for the DVDs, etc.

Edit to add: People may not even realize what "A Song of Ice & Fire" is specifically, but the words "Game of Thrones"? There's not a single soul alive who hasn't heard of this show, at the least.

I started reading asoiaf when I was 12. Here's what some people said to me.

My school's librarian: "Your parents lets you read it?'

My classmate: "My mother couldn't get past the first 100 pages because it grossed her out too much."

My orthodontist: "How old are you?"

My dentist: "So do I. What book are you on?"

Another classmate (after letting her read a page about the battle of Blackwater): "Who writes about naked men falling from the sky?"

It's just as well your classmate's mother didn't reach Myrish swamp, Fat Pink Mast, or the Reek Chapters.

Archived