I hate to ask this...

VenomBDP

Well, I would have to respectfully disagree. Robb was a Stark, and I am nothing if not a staunch Stark defender.

But IMO, the RW wasn't even about losing Robb, Cat etc. It was about much more than that. It showed how truly ruthless and cunning the characters of ASoIaF can be, and that ultimately, absolutely no one is safe in this world. When Ned was killed in the first book, we were surprised, but there were no staggering, genuinely unexpected deaths since then until the RW. Yes, there were many deaths and for some many hard ones, but none on this multitude.

Most people liked Robb and most people knew him quite well given that we had all enjoyed reading about similar young characters avenging their father and uniting a troubled realm. But I've always thought the red wedding was required to move the story forward and introduce some new antagonists to the story. Pretty sure I'm not alone on that front.

Well I can't say that I was glad that he died but I can't say that I was upset neither. I was more upset that Dacey is killed at RW. He was the least interesting Stark. I think I didn't like him because he was some way of good looking beloved and succesfsul perfect son. I don't like that kind of characters

He surely couldn't think all those mistakes would go without retribution. In fact, he was kind of suspicious of Walder Frey (thanks to his mother's tips) but he sure as hell didn't expect Walder Frey to break such sacred traditions nor his (pratically) second-in-command to betray him.

Robb wasn't all bad. I think most of his mistakes were due to trying to remain as honorable as his father during times where honor won't save anyone at all.

Not sure how he was annoying, unless your taking into account the show?

We are supposed to be rooting for Robb at this point. Tywin is the big baddy, while Robb is a teenager put in a position most adults would crumble in. Robbs the guy who makes the mistake but tries to make up for them, while others make mistakes and get away with them. So no, i was sad Robb and Cat died

Well, I didn't really liked Cat's chapters so I was glad they were over, but the red wedding was more than Robb and Cat dead, It was a horrible loss for the north and the Starks and it certainly was't a happy event.

About Robb, I think he wouldn't have been so boring if he was a POV. But it's just my opinion.

I wasn't happy but I didn't really care, I'd gone off robb ever since he'd become KITN, What I did feel sad for at the RW was cat having to endure all this happen to her family, and I thought the chapter was incredibly well written, as well as having the amazing effect of "I never saw that coming despite the fact it should've been obvious"

A drool topic to be sure but you are entitle to your own opinion. None of Robb's actions or inactions were sufficient cause to justify the RW which is why that scene stands out as the ultimate act of betrayl regardless of whose side your on in the WO5Ks. I also don't see any reason for Robb as a character to have done anything to engender reader hatred to the point of readers rooting for his death.

I'm not glad Robb died but I accept that it was inevitable. I do think he should have been the only one to pay for his mistakes.

You honestly think Catelyn would just fall back into your arms? You're one of the perpetrators of the war, maybe even the biggest factor and indirectly caused the deaths of several of her loved ones. So, shush with you! :box:

No, you're not. I liked him, and Catelyn too, never found them annoying, and I don't justify the perpetrators, but their cause had become hopeless. They were surrounded, Robb's plan was obviously NOT going to succeed: I didn't think Bolton was part of the Red Wedding conspiracy, but Ramsay had burned down Winterfell (we saw that in the last Theon chapter, but I thought he rebelled against Roose, took over the Dreadfort and framed Theon for the sack of WF to cover himself), so the Bastard had every reason for NOT wanting Robb to return north (I imagined Ramsay had already defeated Victarion at Moat Cailin and entrenched himself there). The Stark army looked like a caged lion to me (or caged wolf...), hopelessly trying to free itself. I was glad they were wiped out because 2 or 3 other Cat chapters featuring the northern army being slowly chipped away would have been a waste, stalling the story, instead of creating the catalyst for every following event. It was a hard move on GRRM's part, sacrificing a shitload of major and minor characters for the sake of the story, I don't think many writers would have the stomach to sacrifice their creations, and that's one of the reasons he's a great writer.

It was obviously an unpleasant event, with Martin saying it was the hardest part of ASoIaF to write, but I definitely see it as a necessity for the story to progress. Arya going to Braavos and the impossibility of Bran and Rickon finding shelter with their elder relatives are more important to where the story seems to lead. Plus it pushes Sansa even further into her lonely world with Baelish. Robb's death allows the storylines of the other Starks (the more interesting ones, in my opinion) to develop. And GRRM knows what he's doing, so I was okay with the Red Wedding.

I'm having much more difficulty coming to terms with Jon's potential demise... That would be the ultimate deathblow, or Melisandre burning Bran, Lord Brynden and the remaining CtoF in the first chapter of TWoW.

Archived