Where to pick up (reading the books!)

Ser Wilkinson

The books (like most books) are more subtle than the TV series. They convey plenty of details that aren't included in the series. The portrayals of the characters are generally more nuanced. Another feature is that Martin enjoys dropping hints, and clues, that aren't sorted out till hundreds of pages later (if at all). That can't be done on TV.

This.

The books are so much richer than the TV series, although I do enjoy the show. I read the series after seeing most of Season 1 of the show, but still wouldn't skip a page of the books. I am on my third read of the series now and still trying to figure out the many mysteries in the plot.

I too watched the show through season 3, then read all the book. I wanted to start at the beginning just in case I would miss something later.

I guess it depends on what your end game is. If you just want to know what happens, hit up the Wiki and you'll get a fairly in depth gist of things. However, if you plan on reading the later novels (if they ever come out), then you would really need to start with the first book. GoT will probably bore you, since you know everything that happens, but there is one specific thing that is brought up quite a bit that was left out of the show, which could end up being a big deal later. Although, it is fun to get to visit with Khal Drogo and some of the other fun characters.

ACoK pretty much follows the show, but there are slight differences that might confuse you when you reach ASoS.

I would not try to pick up in the middle (2/3) of ASoS, which is roughly where we are at in the show. There is a lot that happens from the RW on, and I think it would be confusing. You could probably manage with Wiki help, but then you are bound to spoil things accidentally.

I would, personally, recommend looking into reading the combined Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons story. I heard many bad things about AFFC, but then someone showed me the combined books and although it was long, it was enjoyable. I got a lot more out of it, I think, and did not have to wait a long time to catch up on some of the characters. You may need to go back and read the prologues again once you read the end though.

Hi all

I am up to date with a game of thrones (just finished season 3), and i am looking to start reading the books.

The problem is that i watched the TV show before i knew the books existed, and i dont really want to repeat any storyline.

So i want to pick up the books at start reading them at the point season 3 ends, which book do i start on?

Thanks

Read the books.

IMO, the show started to get pretty lame in the second season.

Start at the prologue of A Game of Thrones, you won't regret it.

:agree: I watched the 1st season of GOT before I read the books, but I'm really glad I decided to read ALL the books. The 1st season of GOT did a pretty good job at sticking to the book, but season 2 is very, very, different from ACoK.

Archived