Would Rhaegar have been a better father to Jon than Ned?

~DarkHorse~

If we switch the roles and Jon is the odd one out in the Targaryen family rather than the Stark family.

I know this is really hard to answer because we don't know allot about Rhaegar...

However, perhaps he would have shown Jon more affection or maybe he would have pressurised him with prophecy crap?

Also, do you think Elia would have been like Catelyn when it came to Jon? If Lyanna had died but Rhaegar, Elia and his children lived would he have brought Jon up with his family?

What are your opinions?

Well, let's look at Rhaegar's other children and how they turned out.

He abandoned them to run off with (or kidnapped) a 14-16 year-old girl. He apparently arranged no sort of *precaution for his children should he lose and left his obviously insane father. This resulted in his daughter's brutal death and possibly his son's.

Rhaegar was a shitty father.

*It's possible he's responsible for the Aegon switch if it really happened, but that still means he left his daughter in danger.

Ned is a goodie goodie. I rather read about grey characters, I don't want saints. That's what's fun about ASOIAF

Maybe that's why Ned didn't last long, because it would become boring.

It wasn't boring during all his AGOT chapters. Ned wasn't grey or complexed, although there was that strong hint of mystique to his character when we learnt about his role in the past (Lyanna's promise, Ashara Dayne, Jon's parents etc), but his chapters overlooked major events and he interacted with loads of special characters.

Plus, in a series where most of the characters aren't 'wholly good', Ned Stark isn't a boring typical goodie goodie, he's pretty darn rare.

It wasn't boring during all his AGOT chapters. Ned wasn't grey or complexed, although there was that strong hint of mystique to his character when we learnt about his role in the past (Lyanna's promise, Ashara Dayne, Jon's parents etc), but his chapters overlooked major events and he interacted with loads of special characters.

Plus, in a series where most of the characters aren't 'wholly good', Ned Stark isn't a boring typical goodie goodie, he's pretty darn rare.

Ned is a diamond in the rough especially in Westeros which is full of grey characters, very few characters reach Neds level of honor.

His chapters and Aryas were my favorite of GoT.

Ned is a diamond in the rough especially in Westeros which is full of grey characters, very few characters reach Neds level of honor.

His chapters and Aryas were my favorite of GoT.

Exactly. I like Davos for the same reasons I stated. Brienne can get a bit boring though.

Ned is a goodie goodie. I rather read about grey characters, I don't want saints. That's what's fun about ASOIAF

Maybe that's why Ned didn't last long, because it would become boring.

Saint Ned did bad things too. He lied to his wife to protect his sisters son and possibly brought his house down in the process.

Rhaegar would be off chasing prophecy and jousting. I don't know which would be worse, a father that spends time away from home, or a father that gives you a bastard complex. I'm thinking I would choose Rhaegar. After Rhaegar made the 3 heads of the dragon, he would probably stay at home more often. Most people loved him and thought highly of him.

Rhaegar would be off chasing prophecy and jousting. I don't know which would be worse, a father that spends time away from home, or a father that gives you a bastard complex. I'm thinking I would choose Rhaegar. After Rhaegar made the 3 heads of the dragon, he would probably stay at home more often. Most people loved him and thought highly of him.

People thought very highly of The Ned as well. And he didn't have the advantage of being the prettiest man alive.

Well, let's look at Rhaegar's other children and how they turned out.

He abandoned them to run off with (or kidnapped) a 14-16 year-old girl. He apparently arranged no sort of *precaution for his children should he lose and left his obviously insane father. This resulted in his daughter's brutal death and possibly his son's.

Rhaegar was a shitty father.

*It's possible he's responsible for the Aegon switch if it really happened, but that still means he left his daughter in danger.

Well..Ned didn't exactly make the safest environment for his children. He did start a war, or at least escalate it when he told Cersei about her children.

Methinks Rhaegar's children had a shitty grandfather. Rhaegar did run off with Lyanna. We don't know if Lyanna went willingly, but may not have been enough to start a war. The Mad King did a pretty good job of that.

At the very least - I think both Ned and Rhaegar would be on equal footing when it comes to making safe environments for their children.

People thought very highly of The Ned as well. And he didn't have the advantage of being the prettiest man alive.

True... I would probably develop some kind of complex hearing about how pretty my dad is. You would never be able to live up to that. +1 for Ned.

On the flip side, you would catch all kinds of side tail. +1 Rhaegar

Rhaegar would be off chasing prophecy and jousting. I don't know which would be worse, a father that spends time away from home, or a father that gives you a bastard complex. I'm thinking I would choose Rhaegar.

Oh yes because Jon being an actual bastard played no part in that did it? :rolleyes:

Ned raised him like his trueborn and even when his wife demanded for Jon to be removed he refused. He raised Jon to be proud of himself and be honourable and just.

What a crappy father! I can totally see how you'd prefer the one who would abandon you for a prophecy and a 15 year old girl :D

After Rhaegar made the 3 heads of the dragon, he would probably stay at home more often. Most people loved him and thought highly of him.

Yeah, because I can totally see him giving attention to the kid who doesn't fit his precious prophecy :rolleyes:

Most people think highly of Ned as well, and he's actually a good father

Ned raised him like his trueborn and even when his wife demanded for Jon to be removed he refused. He raised Jon to be proud of himself and be honourable and just.

But they never let him forget he was a bastard. whether from Cat or Ned. Jon was brought up a bastard. period.

But they never let him forget he was a bastard. whether from Cat or Ned. Jon was brought up a bastard. period.

Well, saying I am thinking it would be hard for Ned to convince Catelyn that she actually gave birth to Jon that seems something that was forced onto them.

Well, saying I am thinking it would be hard for Ned to convince Catelyn that she actually gave birth to Jon that seems something that was forced onto them.

What I am saying is, he wasn't always treated as a trueborn son as was insinuated above. For instance, when the royal family visits, where does Jon sit at the feast? That is in the opening chapters of the book. So my guess is that was more of the norm. Had he been treated as trueborn, we all know where he would sit.

What I am saying is, he wasn't always treated as a trueborn son as was insinuated above. For instance, when the royal family visits, where does Jon sit at the feast? That is in the opening chapters of the book. So my guess is that was more of the norm. Had he been treated as trueborn, we all know where he would sit.

With his family like he normally does? It is not like the royal family visits all that frequently thus forcing Jon to sit at a lower table all that often.

With his family like he normally does? It is not like the royal family visits all that frequently thus forcing Jon to sit at a lower table all that often.

She me the text that proves that.. You are just speculating. You honestly don't think Jon had a bastard complex then? If so I would have to ask what book you read?

She me the text that proves that.. You are just speculating. You honestly don't think Jon had a bastard complex then? If so I would have to ask what book you read?

Benjen himself asks Jon why he isn't sitting at the high table thus presenting the understanding that it was custum for Jon to normally sit with his family.

Of course, he has a bastard complex as he is a bastard no matter how nice Ned might wish to treat him.

Rhaegar wasn't "pretty", he was good looking

I think a feminine looking dude would caught attention in such a manly man environment. He most likely had the physique from training (he put up quite a fight with Robert who was huge, I'm sure he was comparable in strenght, only Bob was a bit taller) and a good looking face which everyone knows Targs have. All the good genes went to him, apparently

Let's stop with the oh he played harp and read a lot and was good looking, he must be an anime feminine dude character

This is prejudice

Benjen himself asks Jon why he isn't sitting at the high table thus presenting the understanding that it was custum for Jon to normally sit with his family.

Of course, he has a bastard complex as he is a bastard no matter how nice Ned might wish to treat him.

exactly

Archived