Misdirection regarding characters who we think will sit the throne

Lord Damian

It seems as most people think either Jon or Dany or both will sit the Iron Throne in the end. It is agreed that probably Aegon/Young Griff and maybe Marcylla will sit the throne in the meantime.While most of this is true, GRRM is fooling us so as to preserve what should be a surprise (to what extent he can) ending. Everyone agrees that R+L = J and that seems certain enough. Dany seems to have no end in her luck no matter what she does or what happens to her. Even her child Rheago dying helped her gain 3 dragons which she never would have had. Believe me, if she had to choose, she would still take the dragons because that got her everything she has since then. Because of thest two prominant storylines, I think neither will be on the Iron throne in the end. They both will die. So, that opens it up to almost everyone else. I would lay my money on Bran.

Allow me to quote myself:

Nothing is a foregone conclusion. There are several ways this could end:

- one of them sits on the Iron Throne;

- (f)Aegon takes the throne for himself and it won't matter if he's real or not as he will rule anyway;

- the Baratheons continue to rule through Stannis and Shireen after him;

- someone that has nothing to do with the Targaryens or the Baratheons sits on the throne;

- there is no IT throne because the 7 kingdoms became independent once again;

- another scenario we're not thinking of.

Personally, if the IT continues to exist, I just want a good king/queen to sit on it, whether he/she is a Targaryen, a Baratheon or someone else entirely different.

I've said this before on these forums and I'll say it again: whatever happens, GRRM will find a way to make it work, even if it might seem like a big cliché at first.

Personally, I don't think the IT will exist in the end, but who knows? Anything is possible...

I think the odds of Bran on the IT are about the same as Hot Pie or Hodor.

Pretty much, yes.

If the seven kingdoms are to be united in the end, there are two possible groups of people who could sit the IT, either someone who (apparently) has a claim (Tommen, Myrcella, Stannis, Aegon, Dany or Jon, maybe even Shireen or a bastard of Robert) or someone who takes the throne by military superiority, possible candidates would be Dorne, the Tyrells or basically anyone with a respectable army. I can't think of any possible way in which Bran could be king, but now I am not so sure this suggestion wasn't meant as a joke in the first place :D

I'm sure Dany and Jon will die, thank the gods. Unfortunately I don't think Stannis or Shireen will make it. Bran has zero chance of sitting on the Iron Throne, and I don't think it will be destroyed, nor do I think that the Seven Kingdoms will fragment. Tommen and Myrcella are as good as dead, and I doubt that everything will work out for Aegon. I'm entirely positive that Sansa will be queen regnant of Westeros at the end of the story!

I'm sure Dany and Jon will die, thank the gods. Unfortunately I don't think Stannis or Shireen will make it. Bran has zero chance of sitting on the Iron Throne, and I don't think it will be destroyed, nor do I think that the Seven Kingdoms will fragment. Tommen and Myrcella are as good as dead, and I doubt that everything will work out for Aegon. I'm entirely positive that Sansa will be queen regnant of Westeros at the end of the story!

I certainly hope not.

I certainly hope not.

Me too but if she does "win"in the end that means she out did LF and Varys...that Sansa would a bad mofo and even the most bitter Sansa haters (ie me) would love the new and improved version....like Alyanne is Sansa 2.0 and Queen Sansa is version 3.1.

There was an interesting post the other day about Harrenhal being described as "the seat of kings" and having so much page time that there is probably significance to it. A theory I heard, which I kind of like, is that the North, the Vale, and the Riverlands all merge into 1 kingdom, with Rickon at Winterfell as Warden of the North, Sansa at the Eryie as Warden of the East, and Edmure at Riverrun as Warden of the West, with Jon Snow as king with his seat at Harrenhal.

I kind of hope it won't be one of the main characters at all, but rather a member of one of the houses we don't know so much about. Like the Fossoways or the Mallisters for example. I think it would be refreshing to have a fantasy series ending with a minor character as the big winner, and it certainly would be right up GRRM's alley.

Why not?

I dunno about Nictarion, but I think the Starks should be nowhere near King's Landing or the throne. Rickard/Brandon and Ned made that clear enough, and even Sansa and Arya had to escape.

That place is a cesspool that should be left to rot at the end of the series. Instead she could be regent of the North until Rickon (or even Bran?) comes of age. Or, she could rule some combination of the Vale, Riverlands, and maybe even the Westerlands. But I hope for their sake the Starks stay the hell away from the IT. Its recent track record is just horrible, and doesn't seem it'll get any better.

I'm entirely positive that Sansa will be queen regnant of Westeros at the end of the story!

I am of the same belief as well. I think we will see her turn slowly into a sane Cersie character. She is already learning to be cunning and deceiving. I think "Sansa" at the end will look noithing like the Sansa we all loathed in the first three books.

Only one who survives my scheming can sit the throne.

Quite a cryptic comment, Lord Baelish. I am sure you know who will be sitting on the IT, provided your plan comes to fruition. Perhaps you would like to share with the rest of us? ;)

In the end, there won't be an Iron Throne to sit on, and there will be a return to independent kingdoms, whichever ones still remain.

Yep, that's my thinking. Maybe not seven kingdoms, but probably two (North and South) to four (North, Riverlands, South and Dorne). We shall see...

I dunno about Nictarion, but I think the Starks should be nowhere near King's Landing or the throne. Rickard/Brandon and Ned made that clear enough, and even Sansa and Arya had to escape.

That place is a cesspool that should be left to rot at the end of the series. Instead she could be regent of the North until Rickon (or even Bran?) comes of age. Or, she could rule some combination of the Vale, Riverlands, and maybe even the Westerlands. But I hope for their sake the Starks stay the hell away from the IT. Its recent track record is just horrible, and doesn't seem it'll get any better.

Maybe Cersei will have destroyed the capital with wildfire by then? ;) Otherwise, the capital city of Westeros doesn't HAVE to be King's Landing. It could be moved back to Oldtown or a new city could be built altogether. I'm glad your unwillingness to have Sansa on the throne stems from your fear for her safety. :D

I am of the same belief as well. I think we will see her turn slowly into a sane Cersie character. She is already learning to be cunning and deceiving. I think "Sansa" at the end will look noithing like the Sansa we all loathed in the first three books.

I didn't loathe Sansa in the first three books... and I don't want Sansa to be anything like Cersei.

Archived