Stannis and Renly

Something like that, yes. I consider it a kill or be killed situation...

Or, to be more precise, the less common, and also less dramatic "kill, be killed, or accept the title of Lord of Storm's End" situation.

Was Stannis's move against Renly simply kinslaying? Or was it a legitimate military manoeuvre?

A legitimate military action would be to meet in battle like men and see who wins. Murder via evil shadowbaby is cowardly and reprehensible and worse than simple kinslaying.

A legitimate military action would be to meet in battle like men and see who wins. Murder via evil shadowbaby is cowardly and reprehensible and worse than simple kinslaying.

Killing 1 via an assassin>Thousands dying in battle.

Basically as Daud said, alls fair in love and war. Meeting like "men" should not factor in to it.

Basically as Daud said, alls fair in love and war. Meeting like "men" should not factor in to it.

Then was the Red Wedding perfectly legitimate?

Edit: I should mention that I think Stannis' assassination was ok. I actually liked Renly too but it's war. Someone has to die.

Disagree. And by meeting like men, I mean like humans who have honor. There is something so fundamentally wrong about the shadowbaby that I wouldn't advocate its use against the Mountain or any other character in ASoIaF.

Disagree. And by meeting like men, I mean like humans who have honor. There is something so fundamentally wrong about the shadowbaby that I wouldn't advocate its use against the Mountain or any other character in ASoIaF.

Samurai had honor and they used assassins.

Human assassins, I presume?

My issue is solely with the evil dark magic. I find it very disappointing that Stannis employs it.

i don't think using magic to kill is anymore evil then killing someone with a sword or spear. It is simply a tool being used to fulfill it's purpose.

I agree with the people saying that it was both. Though I don't think Stannis is being smart by using Melisandre's magic. She's been wrong so many times, it's only a matter of time before her magic screws up his campaign for good.

An assassin is an assassin. I'm sure if magic was around in our world some Samurai clans would've no doubt made use of it, especially if it was more effective than a human killer.

And I don't see what's dark and evil about it. Yes, it drains a person's life, but that's why the person has to make sure his target is worth it. Warging can be both good and evil, depending on how you use it. So can shadowmancy. It's all a matter of perspective in this case.

Stannis didn't want to sacrifice his army, especially since he had a low chance of winning. It was a smart tactic, and it added troops to his army instead of reducing them. You don't want to waste men when you've got enemies on all sides.

I don't think it's the fact that Stannis used an assassin that people find awful, it's the fact that this particular assassin popped out from between a woman's legs - and they don't appreciate that imagery.

Archived