Come Into My Castle: The Ways of Warfare in Westeros updated, and PSA regarding troop quality

E-Ro

Maybe if he could have, instead of a sheath, a clasp near the hilt he could undo and just a small condom cover, somehow attached to his belt, on the end if the sword to hold it in place? :dunno:

lol, no he is described as drawing it in one smooth motion from his back, thats not really possible irl.

I doubt Longclaw is that long.

Drawing a sword from either hip is extremely easy.

Longclaw might be longer than the sword in the video but it should still be very easy to do so.

But jon keeps longlcaw on his back, not his hip. A sword drawn from the back like that is pure fantasy.

lol, no he is described as drawing it in one smooth motion from his back, thats not really possible irl.

But jon keeps longlcaw on his back, not his hip. A sword drawn from the back like that is pure fantasy.

Eh, sorry, I misinterpreted something, I thought you guys were saying you had a hard time believing Jon drawing Longclaw from his hip.

I agree, keeping a sword on your back is highly impractical.

It's so sad when they had lives of such great adventure ahead of them.

Now they have to spend it as guards........

Eh, sorry, I misinterpreted something, I thought you guys were saying you had a hard time believing Jon drawing Longclaw from his hip.

I agree, keeping a sword on your back is highly impractical.

He'd have to keep it on it's back unless he wants the tip to drag along the Ground or have the grip always under his arm.

He'd have to keep it on it's back unless he wants the tip to drag along the Ground or have the grip always under his arm.

Yes, but that really isnt optimal to draw the sword fast. With a normal sheathe he would have to take the sheathe off his back to actually take the sword out and use it. Him drawing it the way he does off his back is impossible, and when you try to picture it, hilarious.

ETA: also this

Not really. The 'bastard' or simply 'long-sword' (langes schwert) of high medieval period wasn't really that much longer in the blade than earlier arming swords. The extra length was mainly in the hilt, and that isn't really a whole lot, between 3 and 5 inches, I'd think.

The only swords I can think of that would be too large to carry on the hip would be Zweihander. Those were usually carried on the shoulder, much in the same way a soldier carries a rifle during drill in modern armies.

Not really. The 'bastard' or simply 'long-sword' (langes schwert) of high medieval period wasn't really that much longer in the blade than earlier arming swords. The extra length was mainly in the hilt, and that isn't really a whole lot, between 3 and 5 inches, I'd think.

The only swords I can think of that would be too large to carry on the hip would be Zweihander. Those were usually carried on the shoulder, much in the same way a soldier carries a rifle during drill in modern armies.

Yes, but that really isnt optimal to draw the sword fast. With a normal sheathe he would have to take the sheathe off his back to actually take the sword out and use it. Him drawing it the way he does off his back is impossible, and when you try to picture it, hilarious.

Yep he'd have been gutted half a dozen times.

I think the problem here is not that the Sword is too long but that Jon is too short.

You'll have to elaborate on that one, mate. You've gotta be pretty short not to be able to carry a sword at the hip.

An average Bastard sword is about 48-49 inches long and if Jon is anywhere around 5'6" or 5'7" he'd have some degree of difficulty carrying it,It wouldn't be impossible but should be uncomfortable.

Couldn't Jon have a sheath that's only attached at the shoulder so when he draws his sword the bottom of the sheath moves backwards and up, allowing him to pull the sword forwards?

Edit: Ser Gregor also wears a gambeson under his boiled leather in the duel with Oberyn according to Tyrion.

Couldn't Jon have a sheath that's only attached at the shoulder so when he draws his sword the bottom of the sheath moves backwards and up, allowing him to pull the sword forwards?

Edit: Ser Gregor also wears a gambeson under his boiled leather in the duel with Oberyn according to Tyrion.

I think the point is that the sword is longer than his arm, so it would never leave the sheath.

No. The top of the sheath would still be at his shoulder, he'd still need arms like an ape to draw it.

Now, if he had a rail strapped to his back, with the actual sheath fixed on an electric slide...

By and large, you're trying to make something happen that never happened in two milennia of long, bladed weapons because it didn't work. The people during these times tried all kind of shit with their weaponry if it had the slightest chance of being an improvement, but never this becauce drawing a sword from your back just doesn't work.

When will you barbarians learn to use the metric system? :P

I was using inches and feet for the benefit of others here,I tried to use the metric system in an other thread and people asked me to convert it so I assumed most of the people here weren't used to it.

An average Bastard sword is about 48-49 inches long and if Jon is anywhere around 5'6" or 5'7" he'd have some degree of difficulty carrying it,It wouldn't be impossible but should be uncomfortable.

Scabbards for long swords seem to have a slightly modified mount compared to the earlier arming swords, giving them a different angle (pointed more backwards than downwards), probably to account for this.5'6 or 5'7 is short, but not to the point where carrying such a sword would become a problem.

I really didn't know Jon was that short, does raise more questions, that.

A suspension like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbnid=wKcI-y-ratOMJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/%3Fp%3DproductsMore%26iProduct%3D69%26sName%3DSword-12017&docid=b2jumO9qbIwDFM&imgurl=http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/files/products/Lutel_sword_12017Bw.jpg&w=900&h=636&ei=jrfeUYuQPOe44ATX2YDwDA&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:6,s:0,i:99&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=176&tbnw=256&start=0&ndsp=36&tx=77&ty=108

is both well documented and gives a pretty good angle.

Scabbards for long swords seem to have a slightly modified mount compared to the earlier arming swords, giving them a different angle (pointed more backwards than downwards), probably to account for this.5'6 or 5'7 is short, but not to the point where carrying such a sword would become a problem.

A suspension like this: http://www.google.co...36&tx=77&ty=108

Didn't know that interesting.....

A suspension like this: http://www.google.co...36&tx=77&ty=108

I believe that the type of scabbard that Jaime uses throughout S1. I actually prefer it, I always thought Robb looked funny with his hilt up in his armpit.

Archived