The end for Jon... (spoilers)

KhalFrodo

Assuming he's not dead of course... Is there anyone else who hopes R+L=J isn't true? I know it opens up this path for Jon to the throne, but I love the idea of him being Ned's son. Personally, I feel that the most fitting end for Jon is to be the LC who defended the realm when the realm was tearing itself apart.... Also, for the higher tenured members, do any of you believe GRRM would alter his story to throw out R+L=J since it is widely believed to be true now? Not trying to start an argument thread, just looking for some opinions. Cheers!

I agree with R+L=J, but I hope that he will be the KITN instead of the IT. Although, I do enjoy your idea of him being LC f the NW, etc. It would be a very honorable outcome. I do not believe GRRM would alter his story because of RLJ theory becoming widely known - as most will agree, the books have been out for years so many have had time to mull over the text and piece together all the bits. Edit: And from what I can recall GRRM doesn't frequent forums but I'm sure he realizes his fans may have pieced it together, as it was only a matter of time. Who knows, it IS a theory and knowing him anything could happen. :D

Just my thoughts.

Here's something, which may even be worthy of its own thread:

Jon IS Ned's son. No question. He has the very, very rare abilities of a skinchanger*, which no-one else south of the wall has except -- that's right -- the children of Ned Stark.

Just something that occurred to me.

* - Even north of the wall we only know of four skinchangers that I can think of; Varamyr six-skins, Orrel, Borroq and Bloodraven.

Assuming he's not dead of course... Is there anyone else who hopes R+L=J isn't true? I know it opens up this path for Jon to the throne, but I love the idea of him being Ned's son. Personally, I feel that the most fitting end for Jon is to be the LC who defended the realm when the realm was tearing itself apart....

I don't think R+L=J automatically opens up a path for Jon to sit the Iron Throne. R+L=J is why Ned hid Jon, because at the time it would have meant something like people putting support behind the last son of Rhaegar. But that's long past now. I think Jon's future as the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar has more to do with prophecy than with thrones, and I think that prophecy has more to do with defending the realm as an LC than as a king.

Also, for the higher tenured members, do any of you believe GRRM would alter his story to throw out R+L=J since it is widely believed to be true now? Not trying to start an argument thread, just looking for some opinions. Cheers!

No. That's bad writing and in the same realm as having a toddler-style temper tantrum. If an author includes a mystery in his work, it's meant to be solved. He cannot get upset that his readers were invested enough in his work to go about solving it. I would feel cheated if GRRM decided that Jon is the biological son of someone not Rhaegar and Lyanna after he spent so much time building the case for how he is their son. I've seen authors of other series do this thing and it just turns their work sour.

That's bad writing and in the same realm as having a toddler-style temper tantrum. If an author includes a mystery in his work, it's meant to be solved. He cannot get upset that his readers were invested enough in his work to go about solving it. I would feel cheated if GRRM decided that Jon is the biological son of someone not Rhaegar and Lyanna after he spent so much time building the case for how he is their son. I've seen authors of other series do this thing and it just turns their work sour.

Well said. ^_^

I don't think R+L=J automatically opens up a path for Jon to sit the Iron Throne. R+L=J is why Ned hid Jon, because at the time it would have meant something like people putting support behind the last son of Rhaegar. But that's long past now. I think Jon's future as the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar has more to do with prophecy than with thrones, and I think that prophecy has more to do with defending the realm as an LC than as a king.

No. That's bad writing and in the same realm as having a toddler-style temper tantrum. If an author includes a mystery in his work, it's meant to be solved. He cannot get upset that his readers were invested enough in his work to go about solving it. I would feel cheated if GRRM decided that Jon is the biological son of someone not Rhaegar and Lyanna after he spent so much time building the case for how he is their son. I've seen authors of other series do this thing and it just turns their work sour.

Thanks for chiming in. But, what if R+L=J is just a red herring? What if he truly is Ned's son? I know the prophecies, such as the blue flower growing out of the wall of ice, seem to be big indicators, but would you feel cheated if he came out and said that he always knew Jon was going to be Ned's son?

Thanks for chiming in. But, what if R+L=J is just a red herring? What if he truly is Ned's son? I know the prophecies, such as the blue flower growing out of the wall of ice, seem to be big indicators, but would you feel cheated if he came out and said that he always knew Jon was going to be Ned's son?

R+L=J can't be a red herring because it hasn't been explicitly stated in the story. I guess it's possible that the clues could be red herrings, but then there's the problem that any clue is a red herring so we can't actually know or theorize on anything. It would be like the entire book is the House of the Undying where things we see and hear and read are things that were, things that have yet to happen, and things that never have or never will exist at all.

I would feel cheated because Martin has been very deliberate about making a case for Jon being the biological child of someone else. Too many questions are left unanswered or end up having answers that make no sense if Jon is just Ned's son. I'd feel cheated because Martin led me to believe that he cared about his readers' interest, investment and intelligence but if he pulls out a shocker just for shock value, then that tells me that I spent a lot of hours reading a douchebag author who is the type to throw temper tantrums.

Sometimes I hope it's not the case and that there's some other explanation that fits with all the clues and because it'd be funny to make everyone who is so attached to it freak out. The way some people defend their theories and slam them into every possible thread I can just picture them doing

(except not totally staged) if(R+L)/when(tons of stupid theories) they turn out to be wrong.

Archived