Could Jon Have a Different Personality When He Comes Back?

Gandalf actually came back as a better person after he died; Gandalf the White and all that. GRRM has said he didn't like that aspect of it either IIRC. I don't think the idea of coming back from death as a purer person sat well with him. So considering his criticism of LOTR on this topic, Jon returning as his old self (or over nobler) would make GRRM one hell of a hypocrite.

I don't think he is one though. The thematic elements pointing towards a dark change in Jon's personality are present within ADWD. Exemplified by lines like 'kill the boy, let the man be born' obviously, and also Varamyr's statement that 'during a warg's second life, he slowly becomes a little more beast and a little less man'. Jon, still resisting his power as a warg, also laments at one point that he is 'a man, not a wolf'....but warging into Ghost for a while is what will allow him to survive.

So I expect Jon to have more of a wolfish personality from here on. He won't hesitate to assert his authority or embrace his power anymore, he is the alpha.

This. He's going to become almost all wolf, with just a hint of Stark honour to hold him back.

I think his dragon blood will be more evident along with his warging abilities. He'll probably be more vengeful and less like Ned and more like Stannis or Dany (anti-hero). I'd imagine he'd be bitter at the betrayal and more likely to have a couple of 'Ed, fetch me a block' lines.

I also think his resentment at the wrong afflicted on his family will surface and he'll be more likely to want revenge.

I think that he isnt dead, but that this attempt at his life will definitely make him more assertive.

I think he will realize that, in part, thsi was his fault; he tried too hard to make other people accept his ideas, and did not spend enough energy making sure that people followed his orders. He has made the mistake that every new leader makes; he tried to make everyone happy. He is going to realize that if the nights watch and everyone south of the wall are to survive against the White Walkers and have any chance of fighting them effectively then the people under his command MUST follow his orders, like them or not. We will def. see more "Ed, bring be a block" scenes.

He will also stand up to stannis far more effectively in the next books, I think. He knows what must be done for the world. He will demand that stannis drop the petty war and his petty ideas and begin seeing the night's watch as the autonomous body that they are. He will call stannis out. He would say no to him, sometimes.

He will become like the wolf One Eye. Respected by the rest of the pack, orders followed when given, and doing what must be done.

I'm not sold on the Jon dying and being resurrected theory. People survive wounds all the time, even multiple stabbings. I find all the foreshadowing of Jon being a powerful warg wasted on a death and resurrected situation. A coma, like Brans, is a great way to have Jon unlock his wargging potential and embrace it. Yes this angle follows Brans angle closely, but the resurrection theory follows unCat. I just see far more potential in a coma theory than a resurrection theory, interaction with Bran, a POV via Ghost, possibile reveal of R+L=J. I've always like the idea that Bran discovers R+L=J via the Wierwood network and tells Jon when he is in a coma, then having it confirmed in person by Howland Reed or something in the crypts at Winterfell. But in this situation Jon would awake and be very different.

:agree: nice line of thinking. I've thought about this angle as well. Part of it is purely hopeful though because I don't want him to be dead.

He'll finally shed his emo side. Maybe. He'll probably become more single minded though.

Is emo still, you know, a word/insult? Does it still exist?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway OP, what you suggest is entirely reasonable. A lot of it depends though on whether Jon "dies" per se, how much of his consciousness/personality is lost in between his probable warging into Ghost etc.

You think that, had Jon more said 'that's the way it's going to happen, and if you don't agree with it there's the door' to Bowen Marsh and co, he'd have lasted longer?

if he hadn't let people get away with so much then yes. I think a lot of the problems is that he comes off as an indecisive leader. If he makes an example out of those who won't follow orders, more will fall in line. Also, explaining his decisions better could help. But he needs to not take anyone's shit anymore. With him, or against him. Those are the 2 choices. Those against him are putting the realm in danger any he needs decisive consequences.

Archived