Could Jon Have a Different Personality When He Comes Back?

Lets think about it

Catelyns last moments were horrible and devastating and she came back as a vengeful bitch.

And when Lightbringer was forged it changedto make it more powerful

So my line of thought is that Jon's last moments were those of his brothers in arms betraying him. He defended them and led them well and was repaid with treachery. I think he will come back changed. Not like Catelyn but stronger and capable of necessary cruelty. He'll realize he will have to be more assertive to protect the realm

I dont think Jon with be Un'd so to speak. I just...find that unlikely.

However, i do think when he does come back (however that may be), hes gonna be pretty pissed off. Like, i dunno. I just feel like hes gonna think "Fuck the Watch." or at very least "FUCK THESE GUYS" and kick some ass if Marsh's crew's asses arent already kicked. He may very well be a bit more ruthless....

I'm not sold on the Jon dying and being resurrected theory. People survive wounds all the time, even multiple stabbings. I find all the foreshadowing of Jon being a powerful warg wasted on a death and resurrected situation. A coma, like Brans, is a great way to have Jon unlock his wargging potential and embrace it. Yes this angle follows Brans angle closely, but the resurrection theory follows unCat. I just see far more potential in a coma theory than a resurrection theory, interaction with Bran, a POV via Ghost, possibile reveal of R+L=J. I've always like the idea that Bran discovers R+L=J via the Wierwood network and tells Jon when he is in a coma, then having it confirmed in person by Howland Reed or something in the crypts at Winterfell. But in this situation Jon would awake and be very different.

I'm not sold on the Jon dying and being resurrected theory. People survive wounds all the time, even multiple stabbings.

I've had this thought myself, but whether Jon dies and is resurrected or simply becomes comatose and then awakens, I believe that he will be a much angrier person. He'll probably be more like Stannis, insisting on his rights as Lord Commander and bemoaning how every one betrayed him IMO.

I've had this thought myself, but whether Jon dies and is resurrected or simply becomes comatose and then awakens, I believe that he will be a much angrier person. He'll probably be more like Stannis, insisting on his rights as Lord Commander and bemoaning how every one betrayed him IMO.

See, I don't know if he will be angrier or not, he very well could be, but I do think he will leave the watch. Let's face it, who is going to stop him?

I've had this thought myself, but whether Jon dies and is resurrected or simply becomes comatose and then awakens, I believe that he will be a much angrier person.

This brings up an interesting question. Given that Jon is almost definitely going to warg into Ghost after his attack, is there really going to be any difference between Jon dying and being resurrected vs Jon just going into a coma?

I don't think there is, and that is why I don't think that Jon will be hugely different after his revival. He'll be a harder, smarter, and more wary man. But he's not going to suddenly be more cruel, sadistic, or any other drastic changes to his personality.

I hope so. Martin has said that he disliked that Gandalf did not suffer any changes when he came back to life.

Gandalf actually came back as a better person after he died; Gandalf the White and all that. GRRM has said he didn't like that aspect of it either IIRC. I don't think the idea of coming back from death as a purer person sat well with him. So considering his criticism of LOTR on this topic, Jon returning as his old self (or over nobler) would make GRRM one hell of a hypocrite.

I don't think he is one though. The thematic elements pointing towards a dark change in Jon's personality are present within ADWD. Exemplified by lines like 'kill the boy, let the man be born' obviously, and also Varamyr's statement that 'during a warg's second life, he slowly becomes a little more beast and a little less man'. Jon, still resisting his power as a warg, also laments at one point that he is 'a man, not a wolf'....but warging into Ghost for a while is what will allow him to survive.

So I expect Jon to have more of a wolfish personality from here on. He won't hesitate to assert his authority or embrace his power anymore, he is the alpha.

I'm not sold on the Jon dying and being resurrected theory. People survive wounds all the time, even multiple stabbings.

That's true, but I feel like multiple stab wounds are hard to survive unless someone provides you quick medical attention. What are the odds that his betrayers would do that or allow that to be done?

Gandalf actually came back as a better person after he died; Gandalf the White and all that. GRRM has said he didn't like that aspect of it either IIRC. I don't think the idea of coming back from death as a purer person sat well with him. So considering his criticism of LOTR on this topic, Jon returning as his old self (or over nobler) would make GRRM one hell of a hypocrite.

I don't think he is one though. The thematic elements pointing towards a dark change in Jon's personality are present within ADWD. Exemplified by lines like 'kill the boy, let the man be born' obviously, and also Varamyr's statement that 'during a warg's second life, he slowly becomes a little more beast and a little less man'. Jon, still resisting his power as a warg, also laments at one point that he is 'a man, not a wolf'....but warging into Ghost for a while is what will allow him to survive.

So I expect Jon to have more of a wolfish personality from here on. He won't hesitate to assert his authority or embrace his power anymore, he is the alpha.

:agree: I also expect him to be more willing to do "grey" things.

It seems like resurrection via Rh'llor exaggerates your personality and that this is also affected by what happened upon your death. So Catelyn dies via the Freys and because of her depressed personality ever since GOT she became vengeful. Beric died on a mission to dish out justice, so after his death(s) he became more and more focused on justice.

Jon is already a very stoic person and died from treachery. So I think we'll be seeing a much harder and more ruthless Jon. Not cruel, but willing to do what's necessary. He may be wilder as well if he spends too much time in Ghost's head.

That's true, but I feel like multiple stab wounds are hard to survive unless someone provides you quick medical attention. What are the odds that his betrayers would do that or allow that to be done?

Consider the environment at the time of the stabbing. There was a giant on the rampage. Men who would be sympathetic or loyal to Jon were not far away, and certainly would be drawn to the scene. My money is on a brief interference from the giant, assistance from Jon's allies, and Ghost rocking up for the assault.

Stannis, the wildings, the other guys who are loyal to him, Sam?

Why would Stannis, try to stop him from leaving the NW? It was Stannis's intent to free Jon from the NW, granted it was for his own personal gain. I think the Wildlings would encourage him to leave the watch too.

I don't think he'll die, but he's hurt pretty badly. So when he heals up I think he'll be pissed. If Marsh isn't already dead, he's a dead man walking. I think Jon has been trying too hard to makr everyone happy and harmonious, now he'll be like, "I'm LC, just do what I say, or Edd can get a block". Maybe not in those words but I don't see him trying to sell people on his ideas anymore, instead being a true commander and whipping the NW back into shape as an honorable duty.

Archived