People who don't fully understand these books/the show

I don't view the Theon/Captain's daughter scene as gratuitous. I liked that scene. Note that we actually got an insight into her situation as a person. Theon objectified her, but the show didn't.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at, that scene showed us who Theon is via the medium of a sex scene, therefore it's useful. Whereas Ramsay and the Dreadettes, and Podrick Payne: World's Most Exceptional Virigin didnt add anything.

We're agreeing arent we?

Yeah, that was what I was getting at, that scene showed us who Theon is via the medium of a sex scene, therefore it's useful. Whereas Ramsay and the Dreadettes, and Podrick Payne: World's Most Exceptional Virigin didnt add anything.

We're agreeing arent we?

Yes, sorry I misread at first.

Can you expand? Do you mean nudity for nudity's sake? Or the way it's filmed?

There at least a few distinct issues..

- nudity for nudity's sake: scenes that have nothing to do with the story and in fact jarringly take you out of the story

- scenes that cater to the male gaze,

- the objectification women

Ramsay and his Dreadettes was pretty gnarly, yes. Pod was hilarious but hardly necessary. The only other scene i feel truly uncomfortable with is Ros and whatshername in season 1 in Littlefinger's brothel. But thats only three instances of Annoying Nudity across three seasons for me. Not that bad of a track record.

Right? Theres also that GRRM quote...

Also, to be fair, there is some gratuitous sex scenes in the books. Dany and her handmaidens is a good example.

Very true. Some of the scenes in the book are far more graphic, IMO, then what the show has done. Perhaps it's just the difference in mediums. GRRM also tends to be rather detailed sometimes... :blushing:

Ramsay and his Dreadettes was pretty gnarly, yes. Pod was hilarious but hardly necessary. The only other scene i feel truly uncomfortable with is Ros and whatshername in season 1 in Littlefinger's brothel. But thats only three instances of Annoying Nudity across three seasons for me. Not that bad of a track record.

What about the scene in season 2 where the whore kisses a customer while she has a mouthful of... welllll. I must admit, I did laugh, but that was pretty full on.

And when I think about it, my problem with the Pod scene wasnt even the nudity, it was that they could have spent the time elsewhere.

I really want to know who this creepy producer is that insists on so much pointless nudity, and why he has so much backstage pull. Neil Marshall, who directed Blackwater, didn't name him/her, but stated that he was urged by the producer to keep in the scene with Bronn and the whore, which really was rather pointless nudity(as was the scene with Bronn and the prostitute in the season 3 premiere).

I'm fine with nudity, and don't get uppity whenever I see it on TV, but yeah, it all depends on the context and how it's filmed. If you want to throw in pointless nudity and pointless violence, fine, I guess, but don't make it so blindingly obvious that it's there solely for titillation.

I got one of my freinds to read the books after me, he burrowed mine and then he watched some episodes of the show. We both agreed the show lacks alot of content. The acting is good don't get me wrong, but the show really dumbs things down for the audience, and for what we see in nude scenes we could add content. unfortunately however some believe it or not just watch for that reason and would not watch if their wasn't any nudity. That being said me and my freind both agree the show is a dumbed down version of the books. the books are way better in my opinion.

It's not about the presence of sex and nudity... It's about sex and nudity that has nothing to do with the story, objectifies women, and was clearly meant with no thought towards an audience that doesn't consist of straight males.

I can think of no other HBO series that does that as obviously and as much as GOT.

I agree there are somewhat unneccesary sex scenes, but its not a huge deal, just to make the series more racy, facilitate talk etc. Women are objectified in GRRM's world so I would expect nothing less in the TV series.

I got one of my freinds to read the books after me, he burrowed mine and then he watched some episodes of the show. We both agreed the show lacks alot of content. The acting is good don't get me wrong, but the show really dumbs things down for the audience, and for what we see in nude scenes we could add content. unfortunately however some believe it or not just watch for that reason and would not watch if their wasn't any nudity. That being said me and my freind both agree the show is a dumbed down version of the books. the books are way better in my opinion.

Agree 100%. Nailed it.

What about the scene in season 2 where the whore kisses a customer while she has a mouthful of... welllll. I must admit, I did laugh, but that was pretty full on.

And when I think about it, my problem with the Pod scene wasnt even the nudity, it was that they could have spent the time elsewhere.

The perils of brothels....

I agree the time could have been better spent elsewhere, I don't think they were trying too add more nudity as much as comic relief. This season lacked some of the dry humor points and I think they tried to make up for it with a running Pod joke.

I was referring to the books.

You were responding to a comment about the show.

I agree there are somewhat unneccesary sex scenes, but its not a huge deal, just to make the series more racy, facilitate talk etc. Women are objectified in GRRM's world so I would expect nothing less in the TV series.

There's a difference between characters objectifying women and the show/book objectifying women. I would argue that GRRM does very little of the later, especially when compared to the show.

:agree:

I do not remember such a scene...

Lucky you.

That's true, really no reason for sex scenes in the books either as far as I'm concerned.

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about. There's reason because the author says there is, it's his work, and his right to put whatever he pleases in them. Anyone who doesn't like the content doesn't have to keep reading.

The perils of brothels....

I agree the time could have been better spent elsewhere, I don't think they were trying too add more nudity as much as comic relief. This season lacked some of the dry humor points and I think they tried to make up for it with a running Pod joke.

I hope they come up with a better way to generate some laughs during the ADWD/AFFC seasons. Because shit is going to get pretty damn grim by that time.

Archived