What will be Olenna Redwyne's role in TWOW

HodorForKing

I guess that's possible. But remember, there's a King's Guard taste-testing everything that goes into Tommen's mouth. A poisoning would have to involve a slow-acting poison with no effects until about fifteen minutes after ingestion. That's not a problem actually for Tyene I suppose. The real issue is, how is Tyene going to get close to Tommen's food if she's busy getting close to the High Septon? She could be Tommen's Septa but even Cersei is not stupid enough to hire a Dornishwoman for a Septa, lol. She was horrified at the thought of some Dornishman teching Joffrey his arms.

Olenna, meanwhile, has her contacts and her close position already.

True. Tyene has, however, golden hair, blue eyes, and a fair complexion. She doesn't look obviously Dornish.

On top of Tyene and Olenna, Tommen also has Varys to worry about. Ouch.

True. Tyene has, however, golden hair, blue eyes, and a fair complexion. She doesn't look obviously Dornish.

On top of Tyene and Olenna, Tommen also has Varys to worry about. Ouch.

Yeah. I give him one hundred pages at best before he goes belly up. I'd even add Aegon/Jon Connington to that list as they seem to be angling towards King's Landing in one way or another.

Yeah. I give him one hundred pages at best before he goes belly up. I'd even add Aegon/Jon Connington to that list as they seem to be angling towards King's Landing in one way or another.

Can't wait to see what JonCon and Aegon would do to Cersei.

Winterfell is a smaller castle. We know that from Jon Snow, I think, when he was describing it to Ygritte. Unless I'm thinking of Samwell Tarly describing Castle Black to Gilly? I forget. Anyway, assuming it's smaller/more defensible with fewer troops (these go hand in hand), and knowing that Highgarden/the Tyrells command a much larger force than the North, it's reasonable to guess Highgarden would take a few thousand to garrison (=a few times 600). It's fair to say Highgarden is able to last a long seige, as it's described as so fertile. So combining those two things and adding to it the knowledge of Winterfell falling and there's no chance of Highgarden suffering the same.

Olenna Redwyne will possibly be involved in disposing of Tommen summarily after the wedding and then getting Margaery a new partner in Aegon after Randyll Tarly is ambushed by the elephants and (small) Dornish contingent. Aegon's force will be bloodied but not bare-boned and Mace never liked Tarly anyway.

You must be thinking of Castle Black. These are a few of specifications describing Winterfell from the books and companion sites:

1. Huge castle complex, spanning several acres.

2. Defended by two massive granite outer-walls with a wide moat between them. The outer wall is eighty feet high, while the inner is one hundred feet high, with a wide moat between them. There are guard turrets on the outer wall and more than thirty watch turrets on the crenelated inner walls.

3. Winterfell itself has been built around an ancient godswood and over natural hot springs. The water is piped through walls and chambers to heat them, making Winterfell more comfortable than other castles during the harsh northern winter.

4. Inside the walls, the complex is composed of dozens of courtyards and small open spaces. Weapons training and practice take place in those yards. The inner ward is a second, much older open space in the castle where archery practice takes place. It is located next to the broken tower. Inside Winterfell stands the Inner Castle, which contains the Great Keep and the Great Hall.

5. Winter town located just outside the gates for the smallfolk.

In short, Winterfell is quite massive, as it is the capital of the North. Theon only took it through guile. There was noting but a skeleton crew left. The Dreadfort is also described as a strong castle, made all of stone, with thick walls, and massive towers.

Olenna will not take any action unless she feels the Tyrells are threatened. I have marked the defeat of the Tyrell invasion force as the main event that will set things into motion.

True. Tyene has, however, golden hair, blue eyes, and a fair complexion. She doesn't look obviously Dornish. On top of Tyene and Olenna, Tommen also has Varys to worry about. Ouch.

If a sandsnake will do Tommen in it will be Lady Nym. She is on the small council and will have 200 guards at her disposal. She also may or may not look Dornish. The books describe her as having pale white skin, like milk.

Can't wait to see what JonCon and Aegon would do to Cersei.

If the tide turns, I expect the Tyrells to present Tommen and Myrcella to Aegon wrapped in green and gold cloaks. Bitter twist of irony for the deaths of Rhaegar's children.

You must be thinking of Castle Black. These are a few of specifications describing Winterfell from the books and companion sites:

1. Huge castle complex, spanning several acres.

2. Defended by two massive granite outer-walls with a wide moat between them. The outer wall is eighty feet high, while the inner is one hundred feet high, with a wide moat between them. There are guard turrets on the outer wall and more than thirty watch turrets on the crenelated inner walls.

3. Winterfell itself has been built around an ancient godswood and over natural hot springs. The water is piped through walls and chambers to heat them, making Winterfell more comfortable than other castles during the harsh northern winter.

4. Inside the walls, the complex is composed of dozens of courtyards and small open spaces. Weapons training and practice take place in those yards. The inner ward is a second, much older open space in the castle where archery practice takes place. It is located next to the broken tower. Inside Winterfell stands the Inner Castle, which contains the Great Keep and the Great Hall.

5. Winter town located just outside the gates for the smallfolk.

In short, Winterfell is quite massive, as it is the capital of the North. Theon only took it through guile. There was noting but a skeleton crew left. The Dreadfort is also described as a strong castle, made all of stone, with thick walls, and massive towers.

Hmm, interesting stuff. This makes HodorForKing's points more valid then, possibly. Though I think, small castle or large castle, Highgarden won't be left completely undefended or even relatively defenseless when the Ironborn are raiding and have already taken one castle down. I see Euron as being likely to feint towards Highgarden, drawing the Redwyne fleet into the Mander, then springing his trap. His trap may be a simple flanking pincer movement at the entrance to the Mander, or some crazy magic involving the warlocks. He's not the type to flee from an enemy it seems.

Another possible scenario is a complete turn-around of the Ironborn. They go for the gold -- Casterly rock and their vulnerable mines. Then it wouldn't be a retreat, just a slick change of targets. Euron can't just dink around and do only minor raids the whole book regardless.

Hmm, interesting stuff. This makes HodorForKing's points more valid then, possibly. Though I think, small castle or large castle, Highgarden won't be left completely undefended or even relatively defenseless when the Ironborn are raiding and have already taken one castle down. I see Euron as being likely to feint towards Highgarden, drawing the Redwyne fleet into the Mander, then springing his trap. His trap may be a simple flanking pincer movement at the entrance to the Mander, or some crazy magic involving the warlocks. He's not the type to flee from an enemy it seems.

Another possible scenario is a complete turn-around of the Ironborn. They go for the gold -- Casterly rock and their vulnerable mines. Then it wouldn't be a retreat, just a slick change of targets. Euron can't just dink around and do only minor raids the whole book regardless.

You have to remember that Euron sent away the Iron Fleet, the ironborn's elite military grouping. The Iron Fleet was built to fight a war against the fleets of the mainlands, while the rest of the ironborn longships are smaller and built for raiding.

The Redwyn Fleet is comprised of 200 warships (large dromonds and galleys) and 1000 support ships. Euron has no chance unless he gets the dragons or his warlocks come up with something, wildfire maybe. Tactics will only get you so far.

What is the point of "taking" Highgarden is it is just a hard-to-defend palace? If Euron has does "take" Highgarden, it seems to me that he won't make the mistake of trying to hold it as Theon did with Winterfell even though they are totally different castles- if I was Euron, I would burn HIghgarden to the ground.

What is the point of "taking" Highgarden is it is just a hard-to-defend palace? If Euron has does "take" Highgarden, it seems to me that he won't make the mistake of trying to hold it as Theon did with Winterfell even though they are totally different castles- if I was Euron, I would burn HIghgarden to the ground.

Burning Highgarden is nothing more than a symbolic gesture. As long as Tyrell heirs remain and the Reach armies are intact, taking and/or burning Highgarden does nothing to change the game.

I guess that's possible. But remember, there's a King's Guard taste-testing everything that goes into Tommen's mouth. A poisoning would have to involve a slow-acting poison with no effects until about fifteen minutes after ingestion. That's not a problem actually for Tyene I suppose. The real issue is, how is Tyene going to get close to Tommen's food if she's busy getting close to the High Septon? She could be Tommen's Septa but even Cersei is not stupid enough to hire a Dornishwoman for a Septa, lol. She was horrified at the thought of some Dornishman teching Joffrey his arms.

Olenna, meanwhile, has her contacts and her close position already.

Either Tyene and Lady Nym know hundreds of ways of poisoning people, they do not need to necessarily poison Tommen's food if they want to poison him. Still, I hold with the theorie that the Tyrell's will hand both his and Myrcella's dead bodies to Aegon when he gets to KL...

Burning Highgarden is nothing more than a symbolic gesture. As long as Tyrell heirs remain and the Reach armies are intact, taking and/or burning Highgarden does nothing to change the game.

In my opinion the smartest thing Euron can do to hardly damage the Reach is burning their crops and harvest now that the winter is starting considering that they might be concentrated in HG, but this would actually be pretty hard because of Highgarden defenses and the probabilities of a sucessful attack.

In my opinion the smartest thing Euron can do to hardly damage the Reach is burning their crops and harvest now that the winter is starting considering that they might be concentrated in HG, but this would actually be pretty hard because of Highgarden defenses and the probabilities of a sucessful attack.

Not really, the Reach as a whole is the most fertile region in the realm and is full of castles and keeps that have loaded up on stores. Additionally, we don't know if the winter is as harsh, or even reaches the Reach. Even still, as long as the Arbor and Oldtown are up and running, the means to obtain more stores is always available.

[

Not really, the Reach as a whole is the most fertile region in the realm and is full of castles and keeps that have loaded up on stores. Additionally, we don't know if the winter is as harsh, or even reaches the Reach. Even still, as long as the Arbor and Oldtown are up and running, the means to obtain more stores is always available.

you're right, but I think this winter will be different then the others, and even the south will suffer... Still, you're right, burning the the results of the Reach's harvest is neither easy nor impacting

Granted, while they are in a better position than Robb, it does the same effect as when Theon took Winterfell. It might be enough to convince Mace to just bail King's Landing, with or without Margaery after the trial, and just see how everything pans out. But Euron taking Highgarden leads Garlan to come back exceptionally quickly, and Euron has a host of options after that. He could never hold Highgarden, so why leave anything to the enemies?

Granted, while they are in a better position than Robb, it does the same effect as when Theon took Winterfell. It might be enough to convince Mace to just bail King's Landing, with or without Margaery after the trial, and just see how everything pans out. But Euron taking Highgarden leads Garlan to come back exceptionally quickly, and Euron has a host of options after that. He could never hold Highgarden, so why leave anything to the enemies?

I don't want get back into this debate, but it is just in the cards. Euron's entire remaining force would be needed to have any chance at all of taking the castle. Even if there were successful, which they would not be, they cannot escape the Mander before Garlan and Paxter Redwyne close in.

I don't want get back into this debate, but it is just in the cards. Euron's entire remaining force would be needed to have any chance at all of taking the castle. Even if there were successful, which they would not be, they cannot escape the Mander before Garlan and Paxter Redwyne close in.

I realize your position, I was just stating that IF Euron takes Highgarden, he should burn it.

Ok, sounds good. So what do you think Olenna will do if Mace orders his knights to attack the Faith to save Marg if she loses her trial?

First off, I don't think she will lose. She is being tried by the Faith and the High Septon has already admitted that the evidence against her is extremely weak. She is being tried as a mere formality.

However, should GRRM see fit for her to lose and Mace attacks, it will be hell unleashed. The High Septon and his followers will rebel and the streets will run red with blood. Mace will have to declare marshall law. When the Tyrell invasion force is defeated and if Olenna gets wind of this, she will absolutely act. She will have an agent take care of Tommen.

First off, I don't think she will lose. She is being tried by the Faith and the High Septon has already admitted that the evidence against her is extremely weak. She is being tried as a mere formality.

However, should GRRM see fit for her to lose and Mace attacks, it will be hell unleashed. The High Septon and his followers will rebel and the streets will run red with blood. Mace will have to declare marshall law. When the Tyrell invasion force is defeated and if Olenna gets wind of this, she will absolutely act. She will have an agent take care of Tommen.

Interesting theory for how Tommen gets offed. We know Tyene is joining the Faith, so she might be able to influence the trial enough to get Marg to lose. It would certainly make things more interesting as the Faith Militant would abandon Tommen and go straight to Aegon, lending further influence to him. It's open as to whether Marg would live or not, but it wouldn't really matter unless Loras is dead/ dies soon and Garlan or Willas somehow dies. The High Septon states that Marg will be tried by representatives of the gods (is it all 7 or just the Crone, Maiden, and Mother?) If it is all 7 gods, then it will be to change the outcome, but Tyene could work some havoc with just 3 judges. I saw Cersei's tale of the smith who crafted things so well that the High Septon named him hand for being the reincarnation of the Smith to foreshadow the same thing happening with Tyene and the maiden.

Archived