How Cersei Loses her Trial by Combat ( Books 1-5 Spoilers)

Weeping Sore

Do people actually know that BWB are following R'hhlor? I could be wrong, but I don't remember this bit being widely known.

Also I'm not sure if it's in the interest of the HS that Cersei should lose. If she loses the trial, Tommen was never a legitimate king, so it might be that the next king can make all his decrees illegal -among them the reinstatement of the Sparrows-

I don't think the Elder Brother would be too eager to send the gravedigger off to fight Robert Strong either: as he tells Brienne "Sandor Clegane dreamed of slaying his own brother, a sin so terrible it makes me shudder just to speak of it". He would also have to figure it out based on rumor that it's a reanimated Gregor, and I don't even think there would be time for the news to travel. -IIRC only a couple days pass between Cersei telling Kevan to get RS in the Kingsguard and Kevan's death, and in the Kevan chapter he tells the Tyrells that they will talk again in 5 days, after Cersei's trial.

Again, why would the HS pick Brienne an injured woman to fight?

I hadn't remembered that Kevan had said Cersei's trial would be within 5 days, so thank you for that. The HS could of course choose to delay the trial if it suited his purposes.

I think we don't know exactly how injured Brienne is at this point. (I'll re-read Jaime's last POV for signs).

I don't think the BwB are widely known to be R'hhlorites, but rumors of Thoros of Myr, the resurrections, and LS are sure to have travelled.

Perhaps the HS has the idea that putting Sandor in the ring against Ser Robert Strong would highlight the disquieting rumors about who Cersei's champion really is. Whether he thinks his champion could win or not, the HS would want the monster exposed. In this scenario, the HS may not even know it's Brienne under the helm.

I actually agree that your scenario is likely- the one I'm putting forth is certainly more speculative, but it does tie a lot of threads together.

I have always considered the shadow armoured in sun to be oberyn martell(whose house sigil was the sun and spear), who was loomed over by and defeated by the mountain,

I've heard that one- definitely a case for Oberyn. The post that inspired this one interrupted a Jaime/Oberyn debate on Bran's prophecy by speculating that the one figure everyone assumes is definitely the Hound could be someone else wearing the helm (Brienne).

How Cersei could lose her trial by combat against the Faith.

Recall Bran's prophecy:

One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Actually, i think the beautiful golden guy is Oberyn Martell. Certainly fits better with Gregor.

ETA: looks like someone already pointed that out

Actually, i think the beautiful golden guy is Oberyn Martell. Certainly fits better with Gregor.

ETA: looks like someone already pointed that out

Fits better with Gregor, but not with Ser Robert Strong, who didn't exist until after Oberyn was dead. Jaime has golden armor and golden hair and his beauty is well-noted.

We don't know whether Oberyn was more beautiful than Jaime, but we do know that Jaime's appearance was praised more frequently. Besides he does wear golden armor, unlike the Red Viper.

I think you are right. The visions are Hound, Jaime and Gregorstein, respectively.

I would also like to add, that Bran's vision doesn't involve any fighting... at least what the OP quoted doesn't. Perhaps Ser Robert Strong "looming over them" is simply due to size? Maybe they will be involved together in a twist of fate, but maybe it would exclude dueling. Just brainstorming.

Great find, btw.

I think that Ser Robert the strong will face Lancel in the trial, and will defeat and kill him, winning cersei's trial by combat, just as Margaery will be forgiven, because all the people of KL will be on her side, but then, the Tyrells will break the Lyon-rose alliance and side with Aegon, taking over KL and killing all the Lannister mens, excepting Tommen, that will be made captive, and Cersei that will escape with unGreg and Qy to Casterly Rock.

Fits better with Gregor, but not with Ser Robert Strong, who didn't exist until after Oberyn was dead. Jaime has golden armor and golden hair and his beauty is well-noted.

I must have been working on my Lady Nym as Oberyn V2.0 post around the same time you’d put this together.

In the OP, in order to lead the discussion of what Nym and Tyne are up to, I felt I had to provide several “mechanical” reasons why I don’t believe Cersei can lose her Trial.

Possibly the simplest and “most obvious” reason (besides the “five days” constraint) is that Cersei is the only POV in King’s Landing, which would mean we’d simply not have a window into King's Landing? I don’t think so... Outside of the Wall and Winterfell, King’s Landing is another site on the short list of highly important “endgame locations” which I think we’ll consistently have a POV in right up until the end.

So in considering which POVs are closest and most likely to head there, it’s probably Arianne, but KL is not her immediate mission…

For those that may not remember where we left everyone, the total 20-character POV list + “spoiler locations” is as follows:

Winterfell

• Asha – Outside Winterfell
  • Theon – Outside Winterfell

The Wall/North of the Wall

• Jon Snow – Castle Black (speculative first chapter: The White Wolf)
  • Melisandre – Castle Black
  • Bran – North of the Wall

King’s Landing

• Cersei – King’s Landing

Riverlands

• Brienne – Riverlands
  • Jaime – Riverlands

Storm’s End

• Arianne – En Route to Storm’s End
  • Jon Connington – Griffin’s Roost/ Storm’s End

Meereen

• Tyrion – Meereen
  • Barristan – Meereen
  • Victarion – Meereen

Elsewhere in Essos

• Dany – Her wiki states “thousands of leagues away” from Meereen

Oldtown

• Samwell – Oldtown

Braavos

• Arya – Braavos

The Vale

• Sansa – The Vale

Iron Islands

• Aeron – Iron Islands

Sunspeaer

• Areo – Sunspear

Bay of Seals (?)

• Davos – Heading toward Skagos

So with Arianne logistically closest – but on another mission all together – I think it’s highly unlikely that Cersei will eat dirt in the opening moments of TWOW, meaning perhaps a delay is possible? But that would just seem like sloppy writing to me. Why would GRRM say “five days,” then in the opening moments of TWOW changes his answer to “meh… how about five months”?

And beyond POV mechanics, Maggy’s prophecy needs fulfillment (to include not only the death of Tommen, but the less often discussed crowning and death of Myrcella), so I think there are more than enough reasons why – at the very minimum – Cersei cannot die right away.

To that end, I believe Cersei’s survival will be realized through Ser Robert Strong displaying his brand new “invincibility” and completely brutalizing his opponent.

In the thread I just started, I suggest a “convenient” way for Robert's combatant to be Lady Nym, and for the reader to be provided with Oberyn V2.0, although I am not certain the “five day” constraint will allow for what I propose either...

But if Lady Nym does face Ser Robert in the Trial by Combat, that potentially touches on Bran’s vision as well, in that Ser Robert Strong already meets the post-Gregor description of having "darkness and thick black blood" under his helm (metaphorically at minimum), and – if Lady Nym comes out in Oberyn’s armor – the description of “armoured like the sun, golden and beautiful” becomes that much more fitting.

I must have been working on my Lady Nym as Oberyn V2.0 post around the same time you’d put this together.

In the OP, in order to lead the discussion of what Nym and Tyne are up to, I felt I had to provide several “mechanical” reasons why I don’t believe Cersei can lose her Trial.

Possibly the simplest and “most obvious” reason (besides the “five days” constraint) is that Cersei is the only POV in King’s Landing, which would mean we’d simply not have a window into King's Landing? I don’t think so... Outside of the Wall and Winterfell, King’s Landing is another site on the short list of highly important “endgame locations” which I think we’ll consistently have a POV in right up until the end.

So in considering which POVs are closest and most likely to head there, it’s probably Arianne, but KL is not her immediate mission…

For those that may not remember where we left everyone, the total 20-character POV list + “spoiler locations” is as follows:

Winterfell

• Asha – Outside Winterfell
  • Theon – Outside Winterfell

The Wall/North of the Wall

• Jon Snow – Castle Black (speculative first chapter: The White Wolf)
  • Melisandre – Castle Black
  • Bran – North of the Wall

King’s Landing

• Cersei – King’s Landing

Riverlands

• Brienne – Riverlands
  • Jaime – Riverlands

Storm’s End

• Arianne – En Route to Storm’s End
  • Jon Connington – Griffin’s Roost/ Storm’s End

Meereen

• Tyrion – Meereen
  • Barristan – Meereen
  • Victarion – Meereen

Elsewhere in Essos

• Dany – Her wiki states “thousands of leagues away” from Meereen

Oldtown

• Samwell – Oldtown

Braavos

• Arya – Braavos

The Vale

• Sansa – The Vale

Iron Islands

• Aeron – Iron Islands

Sunspeaer

• Areo – Sunspear

Bay of Seals (?)

• Davos – Heading toward Skagos

So with Arianne logistically closest – but on another mission all together – I think it’s highly unlikely that Cersei will eat dirt in the opening moments of TWOW, meaning perhaps a delay is possible? But that would just seem like sloppy writing to me. Why would GRRM say “five days,” then in the opening moments of TWOW changes his answer to “meh… how about five months”?

And beyond POV mechanics, Maggy’s prophecy needs fulfillment (to include not only the death of Tommen, but the less often discussed crowning and death of Myrcella), so I think there are more than enough reasons why – at the very minimum – Cersei cannot die right away.

To that end, I believe Cersei’s survival will be realized through Ser Robert Strong displaying his brand new “invincibility” and completely brutalizing his opponent.

In the thread I just started, I suggest a “convenient” way for Robert's combatant to be Lady Nym, and for the reader to be provided with Oberyn V2.0, although I am not certain the “five day” constraint will allow for what I propose either...

But if Lady Nym does face Ser Robert in the Trial by Combat, that potentially touches on Bran’s vision as well, in that Ser Robert Strong already meets the post-Gregor description of having "darkness and thick black blood" under his helm (metaphorically at minimum), and – if Lady Nym comes out in Oberyn’s armor – the description of “armoured like the sun, golden and beautiful” becomes that much more fitting.

I had thought about Maggy's prophecy- perhaps Cersei isn't executed, but just has her tongue torn out and made a silent sister, so she would have time to see Tommen and Myrcella die.

As I said before, I think the HS is pretty savvy, and would not be in any hurry for the Faith to lose a trial by combat. So he could make a big to-do about a search for the Faith's champion. (The High Septon could even be a prologue POV, fretting about the spread of demon-worship and black magic and what he could do to stamp it out. In effect he telegraphs a Hound/UnGregor match-up to the reader, so the Brienne switch is a surprise to him, the reader, and Jaime (the POV for the trial))

As for replacement POV for KL, I don't know. Jaime briefly, then Jon Conington, most likely.

Nymeria- I hope none of the Sand Snakes expand beyond bit-player status. Seriously, they're like Fox Force Five.

She hasn't dishonored herself yet, but I imagine that will be her sacrifice, to have to break her oath to protect him (she'll want to save Pod as well of course)

Perhaps the Sword and Star (the Faith Militant) come to their aide against the "demon-worshipping" BwB- they (the Faith) see how Brienne can fight during this battle, and they bring Jaime back as a prisoner for the trial (as he is implicated in Cersei's crimes)

Jaime, like Cersei is allowed to view the trial by combat. Jaime watches who he assumes is Sandor Glegane fighting unGregor, until he hears a woman's cry of pain and realizes it is Brienne. Jaime's only chance at honor is to confess his true crimes publicly, whatever the consequences, and it his only chance to save Brienne, who cannot defeat Ser Robert Strong.

Aside from the issue of how Jaime gets to KL in time, this outcome is nearly perfect for Cersei's story too. What could be worse for her than for her brother/lover choose an ugly, non-feminine woman over herself? It would be the utter defeat for Cersei's psyche, she would never see it coming either.

I had thought about Maggy's prophecy- perhaps Cersei isn't executed, but just has her tongue torn out and made a silent sister, so she would have time to see Tommen and Myrcella die.

As I said before, I think the HS is pretty savvy, and would not be in any hurry for the Faith to lose a trial by combat. So he could make a big to-do about a search for the Faith's champion. (The High Septon could even be a prologue POV, fretting about the spread of demon-worship and black magic and what he could do to stamp it out. In effect he telegraphs a Hound/UnGregor match-up to the reader, so the Brienne switch is a surprise to him, the reader, and Jaime (the POV for the trial))

I seriously doubt that the punishment for treason, regicide, killing the previous HS, framing Margery is as "mild" as removing a tongue. Kevan thought that should Cersei lose, she will be executed. While I'm not sure about the westerosi legal system, Jaime might get a separate trial, he would be "only" accused of treason, not the other things. I also don't think anybody can stop a trial by combat in progress.(and who would command him to stop?) From what we seen of RS, he could kill just about anybody with one stroke. In my understanding RS will obey Cersei, she will have no reason whatsoever to stop him from killing his opponent

Could you explain why any of the characters would do as you propose?

-the Hound is wanted for the Saltpan atrocities, his helm is cursed according to Thoros -the HS might agree with that-, other people have their own helmet, so why would the HS want anybody in that helm? If he wants to expose RS all he needs to do is ask him to remove the helmet before the battle on some pretext.

-you said that some Sparrows will pop up and capture J/B when they are with the BWB. To me that would be deus ex machina. If both J/B get away from the BWB, I hope it won't be due to some never before seen characters.

-why would Brienne go to KL? She should go and keep searching for the Stark girls, and I also think that would be Jaime's wish too.

-if Brienne for some reason gets to KL why in the world would she volunteer to be the Faith's champion?- from Tyrion's trial by combat champions have to volunteer to fight-And the end of AFFC she was prepared to die rather than go to kill Jaime, she only shouted sword to save Pod, but now you would have her fight an 8ft tall monster in hope to win and get Jaime executed? That doesn't make any sense to me.

-the HS have plenty of knights why would he choose a woman? What you proposed that he wouldn't know who his champion is, is a bit hard to swallow.

Actually, it doesn't. IMHO, it would be far more ironic if the prophecy is proven to not be infallible. And thematically, for Cersei to see that she did all these things, alienated the Tyrells, etc. to avoid something that was not wholly true.

And, speaking of the Faith, IMHO there was a connection between Varys and the Sparrows hinted at somewhere. I don't remember what it was - it wasn't just Varys liking to dress up as a begging brother, there was something more, IIRC. So, High Sparrow could very well know that Aegon is waiting in the wings and be ready to crown him in return for the same concessions that he got from Cersei/Tommen.

As to PoV in KL, if above is the case, Connington could fill that role and maybe later Arianne.

I seriously doubt that the punishment for treason, regicide, killing the previous HS, framing Margery is as "mild" as removing a tongue. Kevan thought that should Cersei lose, she will be executed. While I'm not sure about the westerosi legal system, Jaime might get a separate trial, he would be "only" accused of treason, not the other things. I also don't think anybody can stop a trial by combat in progress.(and who would command him to stop?) From what we seen of RS, he could kill just about anybody with one stroke. In my understanding RS will obey Cersei, she will have no reason whatsoever to stop him from killing his opponent

Could you explain why any of the characters would do as you propose?

-the Hound is wanted for the Saltpan atrocities, his helm is cursed according to Thoros -the HS might agree with that-, other people have their own helmet, so why would the HS want anybody in that helm? If he wants to expose RS all he needs to do is ask him to remove the helmet before the battle on some pretext.

-you said that some Sparrows will pop up and capture J/B when they are with the BWB. To me that would be deus ex machina. If both J/B get away from the BWB, I hope it won't be due to some never before seen characters.

-why would Brienne go to KL? She should go and keep searching for the Stark girls, and I also think that would be Jaime's wish too.

-if Brienne for some reason gets to KL why in the world would she volunteer to be the Faith's champion?- from Tyrion's trial by combat champions have to volunteer to fight-And the end of AFFC she was prepared to die rather than go to kill Jaime, she only shouted sword to save Pod, but now you would have her fight an 8ft tall monster in hope to win and get Jaime executed? That doesn't make any sense to me.

-the HS have plenty of knights why would he choose a woman? What you proposed that he wouldn't know who his champion is, is a bit hard to swallow.

The best question here is what would be Brienne's motivation. The answer is I'm not sure. Maybe she joins the Sword and Stars after seeing what R'hhlor had done to Lady Catelyn. Maybe a Septon convinces her that the only way Jaime can be free from his past is if he confesses. Maybe they say she'll be drawn and septated (torn into seven pieces) unless she proves she's not a R'hhlorite by standing for the Faith. I'm obviously making this stuff up, you're certainly free to not swallow it.

As for deus ex machina, the Faith Militant could presumably be mobilized in the Riverlands via an order from the HS (by raven- do the septs have ravens?) The Faith would certainly make it a priority to stop any group that was spreading demon-worship, and a charismatic group like the BwB would be all the more "dangerous" for being sympathetic. I don't think it would have to seem like it was out of nowhere.

As for Jaime stopping the trial, he could reprise the bear-pit by jumping in the middle I suppose, forcing Cersei to call off SRS. I think the HS would halt it though, as Jaime is part of the accused. Jaime confessing is the only way SRS doesn't win, IMO, and the only one he'd confess for is Brienne. (I'll try to find the parts in the text where Brienne is compared to Clegane)

The best question here is what would be Brienne's motivation. The answer is I'm not sure. Maybe she joins the Sword and Stars after seeing what R'hhlor had done to Lady Catelyn. Maybe a Septon convinces her that the only way Jaime can be free from his past is if he confesses. Maybe they say she'll be drawn and septated (torn into seven pieces) unless she proves she's not a R'hhlorite by standing for the Faith. I'm obviously making this stuff up, you're certainly free to not swallow it.

As for deus ex machina, the Faith Militant could presumably be mobilized in the Riverlands via an order from the HS (by raven- do the septs have ravens?) The Faith would certainly make it a priority to stop any group that was spreading demon-worship, and a charismatic group like the BwB would be all the more "dangerous" for being sympathetic. I don't think it would have to seem like it was out of nowhere.

As for Jaime stopping the trial, he could reprise the bear-pit by jumping in the middle I suppose, forcing Cersei to call off SRS. I think the HS would halt it though, as Jaime is part of the accused. Jaime confessing is the only way SRS doesn't win, IMO, and the only one he'd confess for is Brienne. (I'll try to find the parts in the text where Brienne is compared to Clegane)

You said in a previous post that the Sparrows will fight alongside Brienne against the BWB -the Sparrows may or may not know that the BWB are followers of R'hhlor- but now you have them accusing her of being a demon worshipper?

I don't understand why you think the Faith would be so hell bent on getting Brienne to fight RS. The HS doesn't seem to be too keen on women in general, why would he want one to fight? (Also I'm not so sure that Brienne is such an extremely good fighter, sure she did beat Jaime, but he was in pretty bad shape at the time, and the outlaws she fought might not have been all that skilled)

Cersei cares about herself and power. -maybe her kids as well- I don't think she would stop the trial even if she could.

Also RS could kill just about anybody with a blow, back when he was still Gregor he killed spectator(s?) in his duel with the Red Viper. IMO even if someone tried to intevene it would be too late to save his opponent.

Back to Bran's vision, it makes no sense that if something will come out of it it will involve Brienne of all people. Gregor had a large influence on both Sandor and Jaime -killing Aegon and his mother about which Jaime feels pretty bad-. This vision also shows things that are happening or have happened, and this part is the 2 figures who are IMO Sandor and Jaime looming above Arya and Sansa around the time of the incident with Joff. I think it's much more likely that if this vision proves to be a foreshadowning it will involve people who were actually there.

My thoughts on the Trials...

Margaery will win her trial. It's not even a trial by combat, and the evidence against her is incredibly weak. The Tyrells won't have to resort to any drastic measures to protect her.

Cersei will also win her trial. Hers is a trial by combat and her champion is Franken-Gregor. I truly believe the Faith's champion will be Loras Tyrell. He's arrogant enough to think he is such a great swordsman that he can kill whoever Cersei's champion is and thus put Cersei to death so that his own family can gain complete control over the Iron Throne. He will fight Franken-Gregor and die, but not before revealing the truth about Franken-Gregor.

As a result, Cersei wins her trial and her life, but the Tyrells are enraged by the death of Loras. They will hold Tommen hostage to force Cersei (and Franken-Gregor and probably Qyburn) to leave King's Landing. They won't kill Tommen (initially) because they need him in order to maintain their position of power. So Cersei and Company return to Casterly Rock, while the Tyrells hold King's Landing until Aegon and his army march on the city. At that point, I can't say how it will happen, but I am positive these two things will come to pass: King's Landing WILL be sacked again, and in the process Tommen WILL be killed.

You said in a previous post that the Sparrows will fight alongside Brienne against the BWB -the Sparrows may or may not know that the BWB are followers of R'hhlor- but now you have them accusing her of being a demon worshipper?

I don't understand why you think the Faith would be so hell bent on getting Brienne to fight RS. The HS doesn't seem to be too keen on women in general, why would he want one to fight? (Also I'm not so sure that Brienne is such an extremely good fighter, sure she did beat Jaime, but he was in pretty bad shape at the time, and the outlaws she fought might not have been all that skilled)

Cersei cares about herself and power. -maybe her kids as well- I don't think she would stop the trial even if she could.

Also RS could kill just about anybody with a blow, back when he was still Gregor he killed spectator(s?) in his duel with the Red Viper. IMO even if someone tried to intevene it would be too late to save his opponent.

Gregor had a large influence on both Sandor and Jaime -killing Aegon and his mother about which Jaime feels pretty bad-.

Don't get me wrong- I'm starting with an endpoint here- the trial featuring Brienne, Jaime and Ser Robert Strong- and coming up with feasible ways to get the pieces in place. So if you're noticing inconsistancies in the set up, it's because I'm considering different ways of accomplishing this.

I had considered that the High Sparrow would not want a woman champion. That's why I had him seeking out Sandor Clegane instead, leading the readers down the garden path toward the long-desired Clegane/Clegane match-up. Perhaps the HS doesn't even need Clegane, but is coming up with an excuse to delay the trial until Aegon arrives in the capitol. (If the HS is a Varys ally) What we know is nobody (short of Drogon) could defeat SRS in single combat, so showing a trial against Loras, for example would be complete non-drama, and a waste of time. Setting up Clegane/Clegane gives a glimmer of hope for the under-"dog", but then we have the twist reveal during the trial that raises the stakes for three POVs simultaneously.

As to how exactly Jaime and Brienne are separated again before the trial, and why Brienne agrees to go through with it, I'm open to suggestions.

As well-reasoned as your objections have been, I think the idea that Jaime and Gregor had any significant or defining connection is a stretch.

Don't get me wrong- I'm starting with an endpoint here- the trial featuring Brienne, Jaime and Ser Robert Strong- and coming up with feasible ways to get the pieces in place. So if you're noticing inconsistancies in the set up, it's because I'm considering different ways of accomplishing this.

I had considered that the High Sparrow would not want a woman champion. That's why I had him seeking out Sandor Clegane instead, leading the readers down the garden path toward the long-desired Clegane/Clegane match-up. Perhaps the HS doesn't even need Clegane, but is coming up with an excuse to delay the trial until Aegon arrives in the capitol. (If the HS is a Varys ally) What we know is nobody (short of Drogon) could defeat SRS in single combat, so showing a trial against Loras, for example would be complete non-drama, and a waste of time. Setting up Clegane/Clegane gives a glimmer of hope for the under-"dog", but then we have the twist reveal during the trial that raises the stakes for three POVs simultaneously.

As to how exactly Jaime and Brienne are separated again before the trial, and why Brienne agrees to go through with it, I'm open to suggestions.

As well-reasoned as your objections have been, I think the idea that Jaime and Gregor had any significant or defining connection is a stretch.

Honestly I don't see this Brienne/RS/Jaime trial at all, so I guess we just have agree to disagree. IMO what Rowan Greyjoy suggested above is more likely, even without Loras. Afterall Margery knows Cersei framed her.

While yes the Jaime Gregor connection is a strech but not any less than the connection to Brienne

But what power does the High Sparrow have if his army is slaughtered? I suppose the power to put the gloss of the Seven's approval on someone who is going to sit on the throne anyway after taking the capitol by force (Aegon, in your scenario).

What will happen if the High Septon says one thing and the Lord of Highgarden says another? Tyrell's soldiers might be reluctant to challenge the Faith Militant. And if they did, how would the people of the Reach react? And what would the Lannister forces do? Join on the side of the Tyrells against the Faith? Some knights have already joined the Swords, including Lancel. If they fought against the Faith, they would face problems with their own people; if they stood aside or joined in against the Tyrells, the Lannister-Tyrell allliance would be broken and war would break out again.

Cersei will also win her trial. Hers is a trial by combat and her champion is Franken-Gregor. I truly believe the Faith's champion will be Loras Tyrell. He's arrogant enough to think he is such a great swordsman that he can kill whoever Cersei's champion is and thus put Cersei to death so that his own family can gain complete control over the Iron Throne. He will fight Franken-Gregor and die, but not before revealing the truth about Franken-Gregor.

Loras is at death's door right now.

Archived