Symbols surrounding Sandor Clegane/"The Gravedigger"

Jory Cassel

I am glad to see this thread pop up again. Really excellent OP and everyone who added further details.

One theme that has struck me lately is the Sandor and his horse stranger and Cersei telling her council that one day Sansa will sing to the stranger. I assumed of course this was a future meeting between Sansa and Sandor and I still believe this will happen but in the mean-time.

We have in Sansa's storyline a group of people who came up to the Eyrie and she called them strangers.

He brought his son Ser Albar, along with a dozen knights and a score of men-at-arms. So many strangers. Sansa looked at their faces anxiously, wondering if they were friends or foes.

Here is the song she sang to them.

“Yes.” Her throat felt so dry and tight it almost hurt to speak. “I saw . . . I was with the Lady Lysa when . . .” A tear rolled down her cheek. That’s good, a tear is good. “. . . when Marillion . . . pushed her.” And she told the tale again, hardly hearing the words as they spilled out of her.

Sansa is singing a song of lies under the guidance of the mockingbird to strangers. I hope she does not go further for the kiss.

Her first song to a stranger ie Sandor Clegane was a much better song. Both Sandor and Sansa are going through a death in a symbolic sense and a rebirth. What they will become is in the future. I love both characters and I am hoping GRRM has a story in their future of healing and redemption.

Also I actually think Sandor was crying after he killed Mycah the butcher's boy behind his Hound's head mask when he returned the body to Ned .

The Hound’s eyes seemed to glitter through the steel of that hideous dog’s-head helm

Just my subjective interpretation. Joffrey had told the butcher's boy that he was no knight and again we have Sandor like a butcher's boy ( a man who cuts meat) who wants nothing to do with the knights he has seen in KL...yet underneath wants to believe their are true knights somewhere.

I agree with something a friend of mine says about Sandor, that he will have to choose between Gregor or Sansa. He can seek vengeance on his monster of a brother, or he can be at Sansa's side. He can't have it both ways.

I think he already made the choice, and it's Sansa's side. I could keep you safe, that was a pledge (and it was also symbolic of his pledge when he knelt before her to wipe the blood from her lip).

He could have killed Gregor at the tourney but he chose not to. The night before, he told Sansa his story, and she said Gregor was no true knight. And then Sandor chose to be a true knight while Sansa was watching (I knew the Hound would win!)

Great observations here! I always viewed him being the gravedigger as Sandor symbolically digging a grave for that part of him, the Hound part, that was the butcher side. It's interesting that the Hound's helm is still out there, was not buried, and it seems whoever possesses it begins to express the "evil" or bad karma surrounding it. Rorge wore it while ravishing the Saltpans in a monstrous way and now Lem has it and Lem is getting darker and jumps to the "solution" of killing as a first resort without wanting to hold a trial.

I also like the comparisons with the Elder Brother and Gregor. That got me thinking how the Hound had originally started off as Cersei's dog and she gave him to Joff as his bodyguard, and now FrankenGregor has been resurrected and is the Body guard for Cersei who is essentially the ruler now. Their positions have switched and Sandor has adopted a different older brother who is the opposite of his blood relative. In doing so I too believe that Sandor has chosen Sansa (or more generally the Starks - he wanted to join Robb's cause when he took Arya) over Gregor (or more generally the Lannisters).

I think he already made the choice, and it's Sansa's side. I could keep you safe, that was a pledge (and it was also symbolic of his pledge when he knelt before her to wipe the blood from her lip).

He could have killed Gregor at the tourney but he chose not to. The night before, he told Sansa his story, and she said Gregor was no true knight. And then Sandor chose to be a true knight while Sansa was watching (I knew the Hound would win!)

You are right. I think the final choice is still ahead of him but he's surely on the right path. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I wonder about this:

As he flung a spadeful of the stony soil over one shoulder, some chanced to spatter against their feet.

I do not think it a good thing to have a gravedigger throw dirt at your feet. Symbolizes their deaths?

Archived